Options

Pining for Game of Thrones

QuannoiQuannoi Posts: 1,251
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Feels like ages until series 4 starts.

Series 3 is being re-run on Sky tonight from 10:00 though!

Comments

• Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the problem with short series, longer passes by between seasons.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not as bad at the moment because I had the Newsroom and then Homeland to tide me over at present but once after Christmas hits it'll feel like a year til the end of March.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think yourself lucky - I'm still waiting for series 3 to come out on dvd :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Waiting for book six AND season four is akin to Tyrion awaiting his father's approval. :cry: ;)
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Quannoi wrote: »
    Feels like ages until series 4 starts.

Series 3 is being re-run on Sky tonight from 10:00 though!

Considering getting a Now tv box just so I can see Game of Thrones without having to wait a year for the DVD set - seeing as Virgin have yet to get Sky Atlantic.

There are a couple of other shows that are on Atlantic Blue Bloods being another that I would like to see.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its worth the wait for the quality.;)

And it gives me precious time to read all the books now!
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this or the sixth book!
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think yourself lucky - I'm still waiting for series 3 to come out on dvd :(

I was googling yesterday - so I don't suppose I'm telling you anything you don't already know.

They seem to have a formula now, the DVD comes out a month before the new series.

Wiki said they think they have eight series (serieses?) to do but may only get to seven (actors leave and shows get cancelled I guess).

And likely they'll overtake the books - imo the way it's shaping up we'll be lucky to see more than one more book from George Martin before TV finishes the story for him. (Actually I suspect Martin will never finish all the books so I hope the TV series gets all eight seasons done).
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quannoi, I know how you feel. Season three finished on June 9th and season four, I assume, will start around late-March/early-April. A big 'ol gap in-between. It's a shame that there isn't 12 episodes per season like Boardwalk Empire has, which enables more character detail, et al. I do understand that's due to costs and time constraints concerning the writing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It takes quite along time to film. Along with all the post-production - Creating all the Dragons, Direwolves, Giants etc etc.

Also the long gaps might turn out good giving Martin more time to get those flamin' books out before the Tv series catches up with them
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    I
    Also the long gaps might turn out good giving Martin more time to get those flamin' books out before the Tv series catches up with them

It will happen, there is no way the tv series does not overtake the books.
    Some think that the series will catch up with what's already published now at the end of season five. I think it will be the end of season six as I don't think books four and five could be condensed to one season without it being too rushed and unintelligible to anyone who hasn't read the books. Quite possible there will be a new book by the end of season six which could give us one or two more seasons but book seven will not be out in that time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    It will happen, there is no way the tv series does not overtake the books.
    Some think that the series will catch up with what's already published now at the end of season five. I think it will be the end of season six as I don't think books four and five could be condensed to one season without it being too rushed and unintelligible to anyone who hasn't read the books. Quite possible there will be a new book by the end of season six which could give us one or two more seasons but book seven will not be out in that time.

What are they going to do then?

If they follow Martin's idea of how the books will end then the book will be spoiled by the TV series.

Will the create there own ending? Would be stupid to have it different to the books.

Also weren't they gonna make a series based on the war in which Ned Stark & Robert Baratheon fought? versus the Mad King?
    That would be amazing to see.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well series 3 of the TV show only covered part of book 3 - so I guess...

Series 4, 2014 - rest of book 3
    Series 5, 2015 - half book 4
    Series 5, 2016 - finish book 4
    Series 6, 2017 - start book 5
    Series 7, 2018 - finish book 5
    Series 8, 2019 - start book 6
    Series 9, 2020 - end book 6

Just have to hope Martin can do book 7 in the next 6 years :D
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it they may be able to get 2 further series from whats been left out of book 3.
    There are certainly at least 2 'episode 9 wtf' moments left ;)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Well series 3 of the TV show only covered part of book 3 - so I guess...

Series 4, 2014 - rest of book 3
    Series 5, 2015 - half book 4
    Series 5, 2016 - finish book 4
    Series 6, 2017 - start book 5
    Series 7, 2018 - finish book 5
    Series 8, 2019 - start book 6
    Series 9, 2020 - end book 6

Just have to hope Martin can do book 7 in the next 6 years :D

It's very unlikely that they will be splitting further books into 2 seasons each.

As Books 4 and 5 (more or less) run concurrently whichever seasons cover these (most likely 5 and maybe some of 6) will consist of material from both books.

In fact
    some material from both books 4 and 5 is going to be in Season 4.

The Most the TV Series will run to is 9 Seasons though 8 is the number mostly used by people involved.
    Also weren't they gonna make a series based on the war in which Ned Stark & Robert Baratheon fought? versus the Mad King?
    That would be amazing to see.

There won't be a separate show based on this, the most we can hope for is maybe some flashback episodes.

So far they have declined to use flashbacks in the show (though one was filmed for Season 1 but never used) but at some point they are going to have to show more of the history and there's only so many bath scenes they can use for the characters to talk about it rather than us being shown it :D

GRRM has been in talks with HBO about developing other shows one of which may be based on his Dunk and Egg Novella's which are set in Westeros but about 90 years before Game of Thrones is set.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You all have no stamina, think of the poor Sherlock fans :D
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tv series will conclude this story before the books. GRRM has outline the main plotlines and what happens to the main characters already (in case he moves to Mars and can't finish the books).
    There are enough differences and storylines / characters not in the series to not spoil the books entiredly. They will still be worth ready even if you know roughly what is going to happen to some of the characters.
    Both books and tv series will probably end with the same people on the Iron Throne but there will be plenty of other things that are different.

I see enough material in the books so far for six seasons. So it depends how much story is left to be told how many more season there are, they could probably tell it in two seasons but maybe they'll need three or four. We're going to have to wait.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The OP isn't dead, they are just pining for Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    QuannoiQuannoi Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True story!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You all have no stamina, think of the poor Sherlock fans :D

and all they get is 3 episodes a year.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First glimpse of Season 4.

A few short scenes of Season 4 can be seen in HBO's Year in Review video.

It isn't on youtube yet but a few screengrabs can be seen here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/board/nest/223411449

Some slight spoilers in the photo's (also in the text at the link).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Well my collection of A song of ice and fire books, ASOS and ADWD are both split into two parts as they are both huge books. Series 3 was based on the first part of ASOS so I'm assuming series 4 will be the second part. AFFC and the first part of ADWD are also running simultaneously on the same time line, just in different parts of Westeros so I think that could be one series.
    Also means that characters such as Dany, Jon and Tyrion won't be left out of a series as none of them are in AFFC.
    Then the second part of ADWD will be the series after as this follows on from the events of AFFC and first part of ADWD.
  • Options
    Scaley_BackScaley_Back Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I made the big mistake of reading all of the books so far.

Although the series looked good on TV, I found the books were far better and I am now afraid that I have lost interest in the TV series.

Big mistake reading the book first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I made the big mistake of reading all of the books so far.

Although the series looked good on TV, I found the books were far better and I am now afraid that I have lost interest in the TV series.

Big mistake reading the book first.

Seriously?! I've read all the books and they're my favourite ever book series but I still absolutely love the TV show. You've always gotta remember the tv show is just an adaptation, it's not always going to be 100% faithful to the books yet I still highly enjoy it.
  • Options
    Scaley_BackScaley_Back Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Seriously?! I've read all the books and they're my favourite ever book series but I still absolutely love the TV show. You've always gotta remember the tv show is just an adaptation, it's not always going to be 100% faithful to the books yet I still highly enjoy it.

I suppose that I am one of those people who when they read books, imagine the characters according to the description by the author.

It always comes as a great disappointment when a casting department miss cast the characters. (TaiPan was a classic example)

Some of the GoT casting were excellent, Charles Dance and Sean Bean were just as I imagined but others were weaker.

Had I watched the series first then read the books, it would have worked, but book first is a mistake.