Can I change my signing day ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I am on JSA and I sign on a Wednesday, which means my JSA doesn't go in my bank account until Monday.
Would it be possible for me to have my signing day changed so that my JSA goes in my bank on a Friday ?
Or will the Job Center refuse ?

Comments

• RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be paranoid, but if things are anything like they were years ago, a request to change your signing day for any reason would flag up as "Hmm .. let's investigate to see if this person is working, and trying to blag us." You might open a can of worms.

If it's just that you want your money to be available for you for the weekend, I think your best bet is to try to budget for the following pay day, so you still have some money left over.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Yea as soon as you ask to change the day they will either do it no question or they will suddenly start asking you to come in to sign on random days (Sometimes 2 or 3 times a week) They do this to disrupt any cash in hand work you may be doing

Brother signed on a monday near christmas and they asked him to come back the tuesday morning, then the tuesday afternoon just to make sure you were not working

Surely as you have the same amount week to week it won't really matter when you get it
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    Sorry to be paranoid, but if things are anything like they were years ago, a request to change your signing day for any reason would flag up as "Hmm .. let's investigate to see if this person is working, and trying to blag us." You might open a can of worms.

If it's just that you want your money to be available for you for the weekend, I think your best bet is to try to budget for the following pay day, so you still have some money left over.

who in their right minds would want to sign on with those DWP morons if they had an income elsewhere anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    who in their right minds would want to sign on with those DWP morons if they had an income elsewhere anyway?

Whilst I agree with you - it's a horrible experience - there are people on benefits who don't declare cash-in-hand work, yet have to fit such work in with their signing day. Surely you knew this?

(Disclaimer: I do know there are plenty more who don't defraud the system.)
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on JSA and I sign on a Wednesday, which means my JSA doesn't go in my bank account until Monday.
    Would it be possible for me to have my signing day changed so that my JSA goes in my bank on a Friday ?
    Or will the Job Center refuse ?

You should open a cake store Andy......I've seen Making Dough in Aintree .... And your cakes look better than that
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should open a cake store Andy......I've seen Making Dough in Aintree .... And your cakes look better than that

Why, thank you :)
    It's probably way too much hassle TBH.
    I just want a job where I go in, clock on, do my job, clock off and go home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Yea as soon as you ask to change the day they will either do it no question or they will suddenly start asking you to come in to sign on random days (Sometimes 2 or 3 times a week) They do this to disrupt any cash in hand work you may be doing

Brother signed on a monday near christmas and they asked him to come back the tuesday morning, then the tuesday afternoon just to make sure you were not working

Surely as you have the same amount week to week it won't really matter when you get it

I have been sanctioned in the past and I'm terrified of it happening again, and we do our shopping on a Friday. I would rather make sure our JSA was in the bank before going to the shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been sanctioned in the past and I'm terrified of it happening again, and we do our shopping on a Friday. I would rather make sure our JSA was in the bank before going to the shop.

I wouldn't rock the boat, then. Just do your shopping on the Monday (or save money for the Friday shop).
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Its alot less trouble just to change your shopping day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Its alot less trouble just to change your shopping day.

I like shopping on a Friday
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would seem more sensible to change your shopping day OP.
    Forum Member

Are you the OP under a different username? Even from the same area :p
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yea that reply you've quoted was a bit random...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Birkenhead is no where near me. I live near Ormskirk.

And I don't sign on, no offence op
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Yea that reply you've quoted was a bit random...

Not that random, just making a statement
    Forum Member
    Birkenhead is no where near me. I live near Ormskirk.

And I don't sign on, no offence op

It was the liverpool(City centre)/birkenhead closeness i meant, But if you say you are not then i believe you

But it did look like someone replying as the OP would. As well as just a statement like you say
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the liverpool(City centre)/birkenhead closeness i meant, But if you say you are not then i believe you

But it did look like someone replying as the OP would. As well as just a statement like you say

Thanks for that . Cheers :-)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? I've found that's the worst day of the week for shopping. I much prefer a Monday or Tuesday.

Obviously, I'm excluding weekends from this - I gather the shops are clogged with those who can't shop during the week. ;-)
  • stormin normstormin norm Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I'm 99.99% sure Andy and DGJ are not the same person :-) Also, I agree about the cakes!

To answer your question Andy....a few years ago I was signing on and I got a job which was less than 16 hours. One of the days I had to work was my signing day so naturally I asked to swap days. They refused and said the best they could do was let me turn up first thing even though it wasn't my designated slot. Fortunately I had an understanding employer, but I was shocked they were so inflexible when I clearly had a good reason for wanting to swap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I am not DGJ ! :)
    I prefer shopping on a Friday.
    Forum Member
    No, I am not DGJ ! :)
    I prefer shopping on a Friday.

If that is your only reason for changing then they will ask you to come sign on a friday as well as your normal day so they can keep an eye on you

So it is unlikely to work out well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 99.99% sure Andy and DGJ are not the same person :-) Also, I agree about the cakes!

To answer your question Andy....a few years ago I was signing on and I got a job which was less than 16 hours. One of the days I had to work was my signing day so naturally I asked to swap days. They refused and said the best they could do was let me turn up first thing even though it wasn't my designated slot. Fortunately I had an understanding employer, but I was shocked they were so inflexible when I clearly had a good reason for wanting to swap.

Thank you :)
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    I think you are stuck OP.
    Days are assigned based on national insurance numbers - either the end few digits or beginning few. Not sure which.
    You just got unlucky with your number i am afraid.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only change you can make is to sign late and that's normally only if you are declaring part time work, so let's say you worked on a Wednesday they would say come in on Thursday instead but your money would be three working days before hitting your bank.

They won't change your signing day for your convenience as it's all allocated by the system. Based on the last two digits of your national insurance number it goes 00 to 19 for a Monday, 20 to 39 for a Tuesday and so on.

There is one exception to this rule which is joint claims, whoever is the lead claimant becomes the signing day and whoever is not the lead claimant gets aligned to the lead claimant's day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was it because I mentioned the cakes????

I saw them on Facebook ages ago, it was in another thread