Options

Belfast bakery refuses to bake cake with message supporting gay marriage on it

SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
Forum Member
✭✭
Gay man places order of a cake with a bakery decorated as Bert and Ernie with the inscription 'support gay marriage' on it. Christian bakery owner refuses to fill the order. Equality commission now threatening legal action unless bakery accepts the order.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/ashers-baking-company-faces-court-for-refusing-order-for-gay-marriage-cake-30412923.html

I don't oppose gay marriage but I support people to have their own views about what is acceptable or offensive to them. I could not demand a halal bakery supply me with bacon for reasons of belief.

The gay lobby can be a petulant lot at times. Tolerance works both ways guys.

Comments

• Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Semillion wrote: »
    Gay man places order of a cake with a bakery decorated s Bert and Ernie with the inscription 'support gay marriage' on it. Christian bakery owner refuses to fill the order. Equality commission now threatening legal action unless bakery accepts the order.

I don't oppose gay marriage but I support people to have their own views about what is acceptable or offensive to them. I could not demand a halal bakery supply me with bacon for reasons of belief.

And how exactly is the baker showing tolerance?
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Semillion wrote: »
    Gay man places order of a cake with a bakery decorated as Bert and Ernie with the inscription 'support gay marriage' on it. Christian bakery owner refuses to fill the order. Equality commission now threatening legal action unless bakery accepts the order.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/ashers-baking-company-faces-court-for-refusing-order-for-gay-marriage-cake-30412923.html

Considering most bakeries don't generally sell meat you'd be hard pushed to get one whether halal or not to supply you with bacon.

As the other poster said - how is this baker showing tolerance?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    By politely refusing. Personally I think the baker is being a bit of jerk and missing a business opportunity (maybe several if word gets around) but as long as it was a polite refusal I don't have a problem with it. Too many people these days think that 'being tolerant' means agreeing with other people and doing what they want and it doesn't.

Where shops and services are concerned it's a slightly grey area. I don't think they should refuse to sell items to people but I do think the baker should have the right to refuse to write certain messages on their products. It's their product and it advertises their company so I think they should have the right to determine what it looks like. Call it 'editorial policy' :)
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    If you don't want to do something then just quote a price thats stupid like 10 million for baking the cake, that way theres been no discrimination by refusing to take on the job.
    Ah now there I don't agree. That would be treating them differently and to an extent possibly even dishonest. Far better to be upfront and politely decline the order.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't want to do something then just quote a price thats stupid like 10 million for baking the cake, that way theres been no discrimination by refusing to take on the job.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    It's their bakery, It's up to them what cakes they make, however misguided they may be.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Christian chain of bakeries?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    These type of incidents just confirm adults are just big kids. Stamping their feet when they don't get what they want, or digging their heels in stubbornly because of their silly held beliefs. Both sides should grow up and get over themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    By politely refusing. Personally I think the baker is being a bit of jerk and missing a business opportunity (maybe several if word gets around) but as long as it was a polite refusal I don't have a problem with it. Too many people these days think that 'being tolerant' means agreeing with other people and doing what they want and it doesn't.

Where shops and services are concerned it's a slightly grey area. I don't think they should refuse to sell items to people but I do think the baker should have the right to refuse to write any message on their products. It's their product and it advertises their company so I think they should have the right to determine what it looks like. Call it 'editorial policy' :)

Discrimination on the grounds of sexuality is considered polite now is it?

The baker was not asked to endorse the message but simply to do a job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    It's their bakery, It's up to them what cakes they make, however misguided they may be.

Provided they don't discriminate on the grounds of race, gender, sexuality etc.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

His bakery, his rules. If he didnt want to do the job, then he should have the right to refuse. The baker is the one who has invested his time and money into the bakery, if it fails he will lose money. He should have the right to sell his wares to whom ever he chooses.

If he wants to discriminate on the grounds of sexuality, race, religion etc then that should be his choice. His bakery his rules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    His bakery, his rules. If he didnt want to do the job, then he should have the right to refuse. The baker is the one who has invested his time and money into the bakery, if it fails he will lose money. He should have the right to sell his wares to whom ever he chooses.

If he wants to discriminate on the grounds of sexuality, race, religion etc then that should be his choice. His bakery his rules.

That isn't what the law says though.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »

That's not what they ruled in the U.S. Interesting to see what happens here with this one, if it goes that far.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24672077/judge-orders-colorado-cake-maker-must-serve-gay-couples
  • Options
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    That isn't what the law says though.

The law should be changed. If its a government funded business, then fair enough. However if a private individual put up his own money to start a business, and gets no government grants, then he should be able to sell to whom ever they please.

I thought this was free country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The law should be changed. If its a government funded business, then fair enough. However if a private individual put up his own money to start a business, and gets no government grants, then he should be able to sell to whom ever they please.

It is a free country, as long as you follow the law.

So you would think it was perfectly acceptable for a shop to refuse service to someone because they were black for example? That would be ok in your book? Or perhaps refusing service to someone because they were in a wheelchair? That's acceptable too in your world is it?
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Maybe they couldn't do a Bert and Ernie, it looks quite detailed.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

I think the point was he isn't, but then neither is the other chap.

Edit - Just to add, I don't think the baker is right in his views. I always find these things a bit tricky, because I am not homophobic, and don't like homophobia, but, like it or not some are and do. They are entitled to their views. Is what this baker did legal? I think if that happened to me, I would probably go to another bakery
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's quite the slippery slope your advocating.
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member

Unless the customer walked in to the bakery and made it clear that he was gay, there's no discrimination on the grounds of sexuality, and even if he did, he can't claim it. Had he asked for a cake with a picture of two men on it, a big phallus, and the slogan "suck my cock", would your views be the same?

The logo which he asked to have put on the cake was that of a political pressure group which campaigns for something which is currently illegal in Northern Ireland. The bakery is under no legal obligation to promote political and or illegal activity.

Welcome to the world as run by homosexuals, where they get everything they want at the expense of everyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    It is a free country, as long as you follow the law.

So you would think it was perfectly acceptable for a shop to refuse service to someone because they were black for example? That would be ok in your book? Or perhaps refusing service to someone because they were in a wheelchair? That's acceptable too in your world is it?

I dont thinks its acceptable - I never said it was, so dont twist what I say, just to make a point. However as I have said their money their time their business. They should have the choice on whom they wish to serve. Is that really a difficult concept to understand?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trevor_C7 wrote: »

Welcome to the world as run by homosexuals, where they get everything they want at the expense of everyone else.

Are you ready for all the responses you're about to get? :kitty:
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trevor_C7 wrote: »
    Unless the customer walked in to the bakery and made it clear that he was gay, there's no discrimination on the grounds of sexuality, and even if he did, he can't claim it. Had he asked for a cake with a picture of two men on it, a big phallus, and the slogan "suck my cock", would your views be the same?

The logo which he asked to have put on the cake was that of a political pressure group which campaigns for something which is currently illegal in Northern Ireland. The bakery is under no legal obligation to promote political and or illegal activity.

also, the imagery of bert and ernie is most likely covered by copyright.
    thus, unless the baker or the buyer has the permission to use the bert and ernie imagery then it should be refused on copyright grounds.
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    That's quite the slippery slope your advocating.

If you go in to Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury, in fact any shop you like, they're within their legal rights not to serve you or ban you from the premises for any reason they like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont thinks its acceptable - I never said it was, so dont twist what I say, just to make a point. However as I have said their money their time their business. They should have the choice on whom they wish to serve. Is that really a difficult concept to understand?

I understand what you have typed but do not agree. Legislation needs to be in place to ensure people have equal access to goods and services and are not discriminated against for things that are just part of them - race, gender, sexuality, disability etc.

Refusing service to someone who is visibly drunk in a pub is acceptable because the person can avoid being drunk in order to still be served.

Someone who is black cannot avoid being black, just like someone who is gay cannot avoid being gay.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And they said they could not fulfil the order because of their beliefs and gave them a refund , yes they were misguided but no need to potentially ruin someone's livelihood over it , speaking as a gay person I am getting a bit tired of this sort of thing
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think its very straightforward. Its not like the bakers said "we're not going to serve you because you're gay" but rather they didn't like the message - apparently they have refused other messages in the past. Also same sex marriage is not legal in Northern Ireland anyway.
    I do wonder if QueerSpace has been getting cakes made by all Belfast bakers or did they specifically pick on Ashers as they are Christian - discrimination by them too?;-)