Options

Fathers Passing. House Prob

GrandPlains206GrandPlains206 Posts: 62
Forum Member
Hi guys just after some opinions/advise on this:

I recently lost my father. I was an only child and he also had a partner of 4 years. He was married for 30 years previous to that to my mother.

His affairs were not in the best of state when he died and he did not leave any Wills(that I can find) Anyways he leaves behind a house which is with one of those Equity Release schemes.They are giving us a year to the date he died to sell/clear out the property. I was aware of all this before he died.

My dad was in his 70s. I was an only child and he also leaves behind a partner.Now his house needs clearing out.And theres a lot to clear as he was a huge horder. Anyway His partner has offered to help me which is very kind of her. But she keeps asking me for a spare key to have so she can get in his property when Im not about but I would rather not as I do not know her very well and do not feel comfortable with her going through his/our family things when Im not present. I can only get down to his house a couple of times a month as I work full time and do not live in the area. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what it is you want advice about. If he hasn't willed his estate to anyone, it will pass on to his next of kin. Are you asking whether you should give this lady a key? Would there be a problem with doing this?
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be as follows

1. Do not give the partner a key under any circumstances
    2. Take a weeks holiday. During that time stay at the house and take everything you want. Allow the partner access at the same time to do the same
    3. Then employ a house clearance company to clear the house.
    4. Sell the house

There really is no point stretching this out it will only add to your stress

Good luck
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2. Take a weeks holiday. During that time stay at the house and take everything you want. Allow the partner access at the same time to do the same
    4. Sell the house

Good luck

I would agree with this, particularly the second point. Depending on your personality, you may want to have a think about anything sentimental or of emotional value that you would like to keep/look for as well as being practical about the house clearing.

Are you worried that the partner is pressurising you in to giving her a key and that she may have other motives? Perhaps you can explain to her that as his next of kin (?) you will be taking responsibility for the house clearance etc and are more than happy to arrange to go through things together. Perhaps she is just concerned that you might throw away things that she might have sentimental attachment to without you knowing - perhaps you could sit down together and discuss things (as presumably you'll both be grieving somewhat at this stage, you might find it useful and can comfort one another) as well as going through things in a practical manner.

I hope it goes ok. Sorry to hear about your father :(
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I don't understand what it is you want advice about. If he hasn't willed his estate to anyone, it will pass on to his next of kin. Are you asking whether you should give this lady a key? Would there be a problem with doing this?

4. Sell the house

Good luck
    The way I understand the opening post is that the house belongs to the Equity release scheme so there is no house to leave or bequeath.

The OP is only going to take the contents so he doesn't want his father's partner rummaging through the family things. Fair enough.

OP tell your father's partner that you are uncomfortable with her having a key but she is welcome to meet you whenever you can get there.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    The way I understand the opening post is that the house belongs to the Equity release scheme so there is no house to leave or bequeath.

The OP is only going to take the contents so he doesn't want his father's partner rummaging through the family things. Fair enough.

OP tell your father's partner that you are uncomfortable with her having a key but she is welcome to meet you whenever you can get there.

BIB - That point is not clear IMO. Sometimes only a percentage of the house is put up for equity release thereby leaving something in the house for the heirs. I was erring on the side of this being the case in this instance although I fully accept it could also be as you suggest
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you clarify the marital position. You say he has a partner, and was married

So is that was married, ie divorced, or still married. If there is no will, then his wife would inherit, but if divorced, then you would inherit. I am not certain though, and your mum may have some claim.

I am also not sure whether his partner would have any entitlement. I presume she lives there, so you may not be able to exclude her. If she doesnt live with him, then partner seems a strange description.

Assuming all this is resolved, then the property will be yours. Depending on the estate value, there may be inheritance tax to pay, although this sounds unlikely.

I would get some legal advice - you need that anyway to administer the estate - and then decide how to continue,.

I
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the OP said...
    They are giving us a year to the date he died to sell/clear out the property.

I am not sure whether his partner would have any entitlement. I presume she lives there, so you may not be able to exclude her...
    Apparently not because the OP says...
    Anyway His partner has offered to help me which is very kind of her. But she keeps asking me for a spare key to have so she can get in his property when Im not about...
    ...if she lived there, she'd have a key.
    If she doesnt live with him, then partner seems a strange description.I
    Partner seems convenient and uncontroversial shorthand as opposed to girlfriend, lover, mistress, significant other... :D Especially after a 'certain' age. I don't think partners have to be live-in...
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    But the OP said...

Apparently not because the OP says...

...if she lived there, she'd have a key.

Yes. Hence partner sounds a strange description.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oups, Gemma-t-H - I just edited my post while you were posting. I think partner is one of those words that have a breadth of definition. But no doubt the OP will be back to clarify.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I haven't encountered any where you actually transfer the ownership to the equity release company. It's more likely to be a debt due by the estate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi answering some of the above posts. Sorry for the confusion. My mother passed away a few years ago. they were still married. I might have to look into this 'partner'wording(and quickly) if its looking odd to people on here because that is what I have listed her as in the newspaper announcments in the next week.

Yes he was in quite abit of debt so the house value will be paying some of it back. She did not live in the property with him. She has her own house.As I understand it they use to do a few days at each and have a few days away between em.Bit of an odd situation I know.

And yes I am going to get legal advise over the coming weeks as need to look into probate .
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. Sell the house
    If they can. If the equity release company is telling him to leave it suggests they have title and there's nothing to sell. I think the OP should find out what the situation there is immediately. If it turns out there's nothing to sell then there's no point paying a company to clear the house. The OP should take what they want then mail the keys to the finance company.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    If there's no will then I'm afraid you can't apply for probate.

You have to apply for Letters of Administration instead. Please seek legal advice.

A will which can't be found equals died without a will. It sadly happened to a friend of mine; she died and was known to have made a will, but nobody could find it (and still can't)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a year from the date of his death to sell it or it gets handed back to them and they take ownership of it to clear off some of his debt.

I am unlikely to be able to sell it as he was having a border dispute with the neighbour for the last few year.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Partner sounds perfectly normal and fine to me! Maybe she has old knickers and other embarrassing items in the house that she'd like to retrieve? It's not like they were together 5 minutes, 4 years is a significant relationship, you can rest assured she has rummaged through `family things` before now. Having said that, if she didn't have a key at this stage there's no point giving her one now.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any poster:
    Look around your house and ask "If I popped it tomorrow would my kids want all my stuff?"
    After the photographs and "sentimentalia", very little.
    When my Mum died I kept a few relevant souvenirs, offered the white goods and 3pc suite to younger members of the close family then let a clearance firm strip the house whilst I stayed away.

GrandPlains206: "I have a year from the date of his death to sell it or it gets handed back to them and they take ownership of it to clear off some of his debt.
    I am unlikely to be able to sell it as he was having a border dispute with the neighbour for the last few year."

Do the maths. Get a valuation.
    Once a property is in the hands of the mortgagors they simply have to demonstrate they got a "reasonable price".
    I don't know what the "border dispute" involves but if it's just a squabble over a foot or so take a hit to become stress free.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once a property is in the hands of the mortgagors they simply have to demonstrate they got a "reasonable price".
    I don't know what the "border dispute" involves but if it's just a squabble over a foot or so take a hit to become stress free.

Quite. Just about any property can be sold, and somebody's going to have to sell it one way or another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was over a small bit of land at the side of the house my dad let her build a fence on when they first moved in. I got a nice phone call off her earlier telling me she had spoke to her solicitor and was 100% in her right to claim back this land as it was hers(we have the deeds an the land register and it was my fathers land)and that on Monday she was having a builder come and move the fence back onto our land.

This was why my dad did the Equity Release in the end.Solicitors were dragging it out too much and it was costing them a lot so he thought sod it, it will be the ERs prob when they take it as Im not taking on any lengthy/costly legal battles with this
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems very simple to me OP - if your dad, after four years, didn't give her a key, for whatever reason, there is no reason why you should.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems very simple to me OP - if your dad, after four years, didn't give her a key, for whatever reason, there is no reason why you should.
    That was my thought.
  • Options
    1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of legal issues here, there bare many types of equity release.

Early legal advice from a reputable firm of solicitors is critical to avoid getting into a mess.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    If they can. If the equity release company is telling him to leave it suggests they have title and there's nothing to sell.
    I would interpret them giving the OP a year to sell as quite the opposite. Equity release companies usually have a charge on the title, rather than ownership of the title. If the loan value now exceeded the property value they would be seeking immediate sale of the property to minimise their losses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just posting an update on this as been going through old topics.

Had alot of issues with it but in the end had the deeds so I chose to sell it asap to clear the debt with the Equity release company. I think it sold for alot less then it was worth but who ever bought it took on the legal issues with the Neighbour
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Dad didn't give her a key after 4 years together then no reason why th OP should be expected to.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Dad didn't give her a key after 4 years together then no reason why th OP should be expected to.

I think the house has been sold so he will no longer have a key himself.