Options

HDMI to DVI-D

Anyone have any ideas why I cannot get BBC HD channel using the above cable as instructed in the user manual?
I have a cheap 42 inch plasma which is 720 HD specification. When I attach the HDMI cable to the DVI-d connection I sometimes get a picture on the TV for 30 seconds or so and then it goes blank. I have tried a second cable and the same thing happens.
The only way to use the HDR is through a scart socket so I don't get HD.
If I buy a new LG or Toshiba TV with 1080 resolution and HDMI sockets will it work in HD? My TV only has DVI-d or component input.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BobTh wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas why I cannot get BBC HD channel using the above cable as instructed in the user manual?
    I have a cheap 42 inch plasma which is 720 HD specification. When I attach the HDMI cable to the DVI-d connection I sometimes get a picture on the TV for 30 seconds or so and then it goes blank. I have tried a second cable and the same thing happens.
    The only way to use the HDR is through a scart socket so I don't get HD.
    If I buy a new LG or Toshiba TV with 1080 resolution and HDMI sockets will it work in HD? My TV only has DVI-d or component input.

I'm not an expert, and this is just an educated guess, but I think the HDR requires a TV with HDCP support for copy protected HD to work. It'll be OK on SD. HDCP is a copy protection protocol between source and TV which is required for copy protected HD broadcasts. It seems that HDCP is not working when you connect through an HDMI-DVI convertor. An HD Ready TV (or Full HD TV) with HDMI inputs will be OK.

You could check this out by tuning in Luxe HD in non-freesat mode and trying that. Luxe HD does not use copy protection. You might also have some success tuning in BBC HD in non-freesat mode. Switch the HDR on and off after entering non-freesat mode and it might let you watch BBC HD. An awful pain, I know, and it may well not work, but it might come in handy until you get a new TV.

Another possibility might be a different HDMI-DVI convertor but, as I said, I'm not an expert. Perhaps someone else here could advise.

Edit: One thing that isn't clear in your post is, "Can you view SD channels via the HDMI connector?". If not, there might be a simpler problem (e.g. duff convertor). If you can't, try disabling HDCP in the set-up menu. That won't help with BBC HD, but might determine whether you have a duff convertor as it ought to work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the quick reply. My next question would be how do you go into non freesat mode? I have only had the thing for 24 hours and am still studying the manual!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply. My next question would be how do you go into non freesat mode? I have only had the thing for 24 hours and am still studying the manual!:)

Instructions are on Page 52 of the manual. The information you need is.

Luxe HD
    Transponder: Press OK and select 12643 H
    Network Serach: Disable
    Scramble Type: FTA
    Channel Type: TV

BBC HD
    Transponder: Press OK and select 10847 V
    Network Serach: Disable
    Scramble Type: FTA
    Channel Type: TV

All channels on the transponder will be tuned in. You can delete the ones you don't want.

To disable HDCP (see the edit to my earlier post) , follow the instructions for TV Setup at the top of page 37 of the manual to bring up the options. Then go to page 39 of the manual and follow the instructions for setting HDCP Default to Disable.

Good luck.

Edit: I forgot the standard warning :o . When you scan in non-freesat mode, any recordings you have will be lost and you will need to set them up again. Any recordings you have already made will be OK. The same applies to deleting, moving, or renaming non-freesat channels. Simply switching to non-freesat mode to view a non-freesat channel is OK.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    awo1949 wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, and this is just an educated guess, but I think the HDR requires a TV with HDCP support for copy protected HD to work. It'll be OK on SD. HDCP is a copy protection protocol between source and TV which is required for copy protected HD broadcasts. It seems that HDCP is not working when you connect through an HDMI-DVI convertor. An HD Ready TV (or Full HD TV) with HDMI inputs will be OK.

You could check this out by tuning in Luxe HD in non-freesat mode and trying that. Luxe HD does not use copy protection. You might also have some success tuning in BBC HD in non-freesat mode. Switch the HDR on and off after entering non-freesat mode and it might let you watch BBC HD. An awful pain, I know, and it may well not work, but it might come in handy until you get a new TV.

Another possibility might be a different HDMI-DVI convertor but, as I said, I'm not an expert. Perhaps someone else here could advise.

Edit: One thing that isn't clear in your post is, "Can you view SD channels via the HDMI connector?". If not, there might be a simpler problem (e.g. duff convertor). If you can't, try disabling HDCP in the set-up menu. That won't help with BBC HD, but might determine whether you have a duff convertor as it ought to work.

DVI has identical video connections to HDMI it just omits the audio connections. The adaptor or cable simply connects the video connections from the HDMI to the appropriate pins on the DVI plug. To work with the foxsat the display device has to be HDready. HdReady requires that a HDCP HDMI or DVI port is fitted to the display device capable of displaying 720P and 1080i. As the OP states his display is only capable of 720p then it can't be HDReady and it's therefore likely the DVI is not HDCP capable. Sounds like a monitor to me. If this theory is correct it's not suitable to use with any Freesat HD box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much for your help.
    I have printed out the post and followed it to the letter, and have now seen Luxe HD via the DVI-D.
    That gives me the confidence to go out and buy a new 1080 TV now that I know the HDMI output is working.
    Just have to decide which TV to buy now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much for your help.
    I have printed out the post and followed it to the letter, and have now seen Luxe HD via the DVI-D.
    That gives me the confidence to go out and buy a new 1080 TV now that I know the HDMI output is working.
    Just have to decide which TV to buy now!

I'm glad you've isolated the problem. Shame it is that the TV is not HDCP compliant. If you want to give your old TV an extended lease of life, there is a convertor that claims to do what you need. It's called a HDFURY2. The "official" UK site for it is http://hdfury2.co.uk/hdfury2-p-9.html. You can get it (a little) cheaper elsewhere. It will connect to the HDR via HDMI and the TV via component video. It handles the HDCP protocol and does the decryption.

It is very expensive and may not be worth it to you. I don't have any experience of it so can't promise that it will solve your problem. All I know about it is what it's supposed to do (and that should work for you), and some postings about it on this forum. Some of these report problems, so it would be worth searching the forum for it if you are going to consider it. Note that there is an older version called HDFURY and the problems may relate to that version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great information and the HDfury would probably be the way to go, but I have been pricing up Full HD TVs now and will get one this weekend.
    Here in France, TVs are called "HD ready" for the 720 standard and "Full HD" for the 1080 standard.
    I have seen a LG 47LG5500 for 850 euros which has a HDTNT (French digital terrestrial) built in and is 1080 spec. It also has 3 HDMI sockets, so I assume that should work well with the Foxsat HDR.
    I did not want to buy the new TV if the Foxsat box had a problem, but now, with your help, I have proved that it doesn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in France, ..............

BobTh,

Congrats on getting it sorted out.

It may be worth editing your profile on DS to put your location as "Town", France. This may be relevant if you come back for more help with your HDR, and assist other members with offering you solutions.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great information and the HDfury would probably be the way to go, but I have been pricing up Full HD TVs now and will get one this weekend.
    Here in France, TVs are called "HD ready" for the 720 standard and "Full HD" for the 1080 standard.
    I have seen a LG 47LG5500 for 850 euros which has a HDTNT (French digital terrestrial) built in and is 1080 spec. It also has 3 HDMI sockets, so I assume that should work well with the Foxsat HDR.
    I did not want to buy the new TV if the Foxsat box had a problem, but now, with your help, I have proved that it doesn't.

Similar labelling is used in the UK. A 720 x 1360 ish or a 1920 x 1080 display with max display of 1080i is labelled HD Ready. A 1920 x 1080 display capable of 1080p is labelled Full HD and a Full HD TV capable of displaying a blueray DVD at it's native 24 frames per second is additionally labelled 1080p24. If you are thinking of getting a blueray DVD look for a 1080p24 specified TV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Savvy, I have found the profile bit and changed my location as suggested, thanks.
    Graham, Too late, I don't mess about and went out and bought the LG 475500 TV! It is fantastic in HD and I am so pleased with my new system. I now need to go and make some HD videos in the microlight and try them through the TV.

Bob Thompson
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ........in the microlight...........

Wow, fantastic, Real World HD, and in stunning 3D whilst you are up there too :D:D:D

Skimming over the waves on my boat knocks spots off those boating/marina shots on Luxe HD :p:p:p
    She's just been put back in the water after the winter layup; can't wait for some decent weather to get back out there.

Enjoy (Oh, and your new TV, too :cool: )

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Savvy, I have found the profile bit and changed my location as suggested, thanks.
    Graham, Too late, I don't mess about and went out and bought the LG 475500 TV! It is fantastic in HD and I am so pleased with my new system. I now need to go and make some HD videos in the microlight and try them through the TV.

Bob Thompson

Hey Bob any relation :D. Pleased you like the TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey Bob any relation :D. Pleased you like the TV.
    Could be Graham, all of my mob come from around Birmingham,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be Graham, all of my mob come from around Birmingham,

Refugee from S Yorkshire :D. Married to a Brummy. :cool: