Daybreak, First Day in, Improvement?

Comments

• divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I said this when Daybreak launched, alot will work, alot wont, and like the Chris Evans Radio 2 Breakfast show, I expect some things will be dropped if they dont work.

Daybreak really needs to get to the point where it drops the features people dont like.

I know it's only been a few weeks, but they really need to get ruthless and start dumping things.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    I know it's only been a few weeks, but they really need to get ruthless and start dumping things.
    its an expensive new show, the show should have made changes after its first week, its not like the ratings were THAT impressive in the first week, there was no feeling that they had gotten it right.

I am trying to think what the costs of launching Daybreak was, and I will need to do research, but big ticket items inculde
    1. Disneys shares in GMTV
    2. Adrian
    3. Christine

Daybreak really needs to be making changes by now.

I am not Chris Evans fan, but the show is better now than it was when it first started
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say that Daybreak is starting to grow on me. At first I really didn't like it, but it's slowly getting better. :)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    its an expensive new show, the show should have made changes after its first week, its not like the ratings were THAT impressive in the first week, there was no feeling that they had gotten it right.

I am trying to think what the costs of launching Daybreak was, and I will need to do research, but big ticket items inculde
    1. Disneys shares in GMTV
    2. Adrian
    3. Christine

Daybreak really needs to be making changes by now.

I am not Chris Evans fan, but the show is better now than it was when it first started

£25 million to buy out Disney
    £6 million for Adrian's three-year contract
    £3 million for Christine similarly
    Probably £1 million on publicity
    £1 million to rebuild the studio
    At a conservative estimate £36-£37 million
  • ghettoBLASTER!ghettoBLASTER! Posts: 5,220
    Forum Member
    Anyone think Dan's a bit well pervy? I hate the way he flirts with the female guests. None of them seem to like it. Nigella yesterday looked so uncomfortable and today saying he wanted a topless picture of Christine? WTF

Not good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    are christine and adrian joined at the hip or something?
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    £25 million to buy out Disney
    £6 million for Adrian's three-year contract
    £3 million for Christine similarly
    Probably £1 million on publicity
    £1 million to rebuild the studio
    At a conservative estimate £36-£37 million

The whole revamp including marketing, studio, audience research etc without wages according to an insider/ daybreak employee on another forum is 10m.

Adrian's contract is 4 years long and Christine's is 4m over 3 years.[both contracts include primetime work]

In 2008 Gmtv made a profit of £10m but that was when it was averaging close to 1m viewers.

When taking into account the money paid to Disney[25m], it will take around 4-5 years for Itv to see any return on it's investment. But the question is will Daybreak, Adrian or Christine be around then?
    It's early days still but I think this has the makings of a white elephant.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    The whole revamp including marketing, studio, audience research etc without wages according to an insider/ daybreak employee on another forum is 10m.

Adrian's contract is 4 years long and Christine's is 4m over 3 years.[both contracts include primetime work]

In 2008 Gmtv made a profit of £10m but that was when it was averaging close to 1m viewers.

When taking into account the money paid to Disney[25m], it will take around 4-5 years for Itv to see any return on it's investment. But the question is will Daybreak, Adrian or Christine be around then?
    It's early days still but I think this has the makings of a white elephant.

as usual some of the posts - not yours - are selective in their figures. I wonder why? re your post the profit figure will be affected by the ad recession in 2008-09 but should bounce back in 2010. You also need to include the back office savings from integrating GMTV into ITV.
  • aussie_dave_gaussie_dave_g Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have the latest tv ratings for Daybreak. Be interesting to see how they are faring up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle & ftv thank you both for your figures, whoever is more right is not the issue. It does however seem like it will take a long time for ITV to get any money back on the investement, certainly if Daybreaks ratings continue to be so uninspiring.

the Disney buy out is big, but some of that is so that ITV has full control of the Channel 3 EPG slot, making it easier to sell later on.

Even if we take that off the table, we are looking at possibly as much as £12 million for Daybreak, the ratings dont really support that extra investment.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I managed to catch the start of the show today and the continuity announcer said something along the lines of let's join Adrian and Christine.....

Either it's a prerecorded announcement or someone's not passing on the info because they weren't hosting it! :D

I think the show works much better with Lobb and Garaway. They are just far more natural and comfortable. Lobb is mainly a sports presenter (afaik from watching SSN) but I think he's adapted fine to presenting the show. I don't watch all of it so couldn't comment on his full perfomances, interview technique or comments etc.

I also think the newsreader was better. I'm not sure what it is with Khan but it seems like she is stuck in 60sec mode and always hurries it. I also don't like her bombastic style that reminds me of Jonathan Charles, who is a terrible newsreader imo.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    think its better with kate & dan..he just needs more practice...at least they look like they want to be there
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt very very sorry for that poor bird of pray this morning. Having Christine shreaking with laughter at it flying into the rafters. Then, at the end of the show when they all said goodbye and clapped the bird almost died of a heart attack.

Poor sod.

Loved the gorgeous Jack Russell though.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watch Daybreak since the first day. I can't stand squinting Adrian sitting there trying to read the autocues. He seems to think that by lolling about and looking scruffy he gives the impression of being so down to earth and unaffected, but it doesn't work!

However, when I came downstairs my daughter had got Daybreak on and was watching the eagle. We both found it quite horrible. The poor bird flew straight past ACs outstretched and gauntleted hand to land high up on metal rafters.

CB then started squealing and the bird looked quite distressed and for a minute it looked as though it was going to get its line tangled around the rafters. I really expected it to hang itself from the rafters with CB still squealing like a parrot. That really would have made the headlines!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, what's Sharon Osborne had done now? I had to keep checking it was actually her. Her face looks completely different somehow. Very plastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as i saw Adrian Giles was back...i switched it over. Oops :p

I just cant stand him!!!!!!

He nor itv seemed to have grasped that breakfast television and The One show are completely different, thus need different techniques when presenting.

I gave it a chance, but his whole attitude when speaking about issues and to other 3rd parties being "interviewed" by him is really out of touch with society and rather quite vile. As a journalist the golden rule is to stay neutral and simply report the new's and when asking the probing questions to simply establish the interviewee's stance. Not arrogantly snap and argue with their opinions you clearly dont agree with (in this case a union rep)

I want to make my mind up, without having a laughably overpayed, jumped up, OUT-OF-TOUCH little twonk with a bad accent, tell me what "is surely the best...way to deal with something" My god why isnt this guy PM? He seems to have a solution for everything... :mad:
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It averaged just 670,000 viewers yesterday. I think even GeorgeS will struggle to put a positive spin on that.
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who covered lorraine yesterday
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    who covered lorraine yesterday
    Sharon Osbourne:eek:
    Bushmills wrote: »
    It averaged just 670,000 viewers yesterday. I think even GeorgeS will struggle to put a positive spin on that.

Breakfast had 1.5m, Daybreak is in very dangerous territory now, I thought it was bad when it fell to 800k
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They're losing viewers faster than Richard and Judy's failed digital show, which was practically down to single figures by the end of its run!!
  • Almira GAlmira G Posts: 18,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:eek::eek::eek: Down to 670,000 viewers? :eek::eek::eek:

Cue lots more cute furry animals in the studio IMMEDIATELY! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Almira G wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: Down to 670,000 viewers? :eek::eek::eek:

Cue lots more cute furry animals in the studio IMMEDIATELY! :p

is that Andrew Castle I can hear laughing his ass off?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just seems too "metropolitan" to me, rather distant and airy.

I think it might have worked on BBC1...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    They're losing viewers faster than Richard and Judy's failed digital show, which was practically down to single figures by the end of its run!!
    a big part of that was the move to Pay TV, that is not the case here.

Daybreak is in the most privilged postition a commercail TV program can be on, Channel 3, god help it if ITV ever lost Channel 3.

I really think its time to call ITVs blufff on Channel 3.
  • ceecee1ceecee1 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    When GMTV was showing I wasn't really a fan of Kate Garraway (I was a Penny person !!) but GOSH - it was soooo good to see hear this week...is she going to be presenting on the same days each week. I hope so, at least I will be able to watch then.

She and Matt were a treat to start the day with, so cheerful and upbeat.

The 'other 2' are useless.