best place to buy a laptop?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
can anyone suggest to me the best place to buy a laptop?
i know the usual places but im just looking a decent laptop, 2gig ram and a decent hard drive.

its for surfing the web and and watching iplayer and things.
nothing heavy and i dont want a netbook.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Dombo wrote: »
    can anyone suggest to me the best place to buy a laptop?
    i know the usual places but im just looking a decent laptop, 2gig ram and a decent hard drive.

its for surfing the web and and watching iplayer and things.
    nothing heavy and i dont want a netbook.

any ideas would be appreciated.

I don't think anywhere is particularly outstanding, but at the other end of the scale there are one or two places which are definitely worth avoiding. I'm thinking of PC World. Prices are high (don't believe all that stamping down on prices bollocks as though they are fully prepared to risk going bust to ensure the punter gets a good deal). PCW staff might know what they are talking about, but I have always had the misfortune when asking a techinical question of getting someone who doesn't. Your best bet is to surf the net after deciding what you want and using your nouse.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    We have two Dell laptops in the house running XP and Vista and apart from a semi broken hinge on one which was dropped they have both been fine over 3-4 years.

http://www.dell.co.uk/home/laptops

http://www.dmxdimension.com/
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    I don't think anywhere is particularly outstanding, but at the other end of the scale there are one or two places which are definitely worth avoiding. I'm thinking of PC World. Prices are high (don't believe all that stamping down on prices bollocks as though they are fully prepared to risk going bust to ensure the punter gets a good deal). PCW staff might know what they are talking about, but I have always had the misfortune when asking a techinical question of getting someone who doesn't. Your best bet is to surf the net after deciding what you want and using your nouse.

I agree with all of that avoid PC world at all costs ... that is until they have a real bargain, I'm thinking of the all in one HP printer I bought there a few years ago when on special offer ... still working perfectly.

If you ever do see a bargain PC in there tell them you don't want any security on it and they can wipe the preinstalled Norton or McAfee and may knock off some money. This happened about a year ago to my friend and I. £30 was what they would knock off the price ... in the end no sale.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Argos Ebay Clearance site is always worth checking.

Note though that the majority of the laptops will be refurbished but they come with a 7 day no quibble return/exchange policy and a 1 year Argos warranty. Make sure you fully understand the terms and conditions before you buy.