MRI Scans - any experiences?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    I found mine to be quite fun, I just imagine I'm in a really awesome, but quite noisy, spaceship.

I've had two with the "cage thingy" over my head, it's really no big deal and just gives you something else to look at if you want to. I tend to keep my eyes closed, and my brain just drifts off...it really is quite relaxing.

If you are very worried, contact them asap and discuss having a sedative on the day; at my hospital this is routinely offered for patients who are nervous, but you have to organise it prior to the scan.

Thanks for this. I have contacted them and they've told me to see my GP to get something to take about an hour before the time of the scan. I've made an appointment to do so.:o
  • Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one just over a week ago on my breasts :o

I had to lie face down with headphones on (no music) and my face just an inch or two away from the 'base' of the thing. It lasted about twenty minutes and was very claustrophobic - took me all my time not to press the panic thingy :(

When I did get out of it I felt very hot and a little tearful :o

Hoping I won't need to have another.....
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I came across this thread, I'm having a scan on my lower back next week, and reading this has answered some of he questions I had.
    Ref the blanket, the hospital had said I can take my own CD in and a dressing gown if I want to, although a gown will be provided. I'll be taking both, as I've found in the past hospital gowns don't always fasten up.
    Dressing gown will be washed and Comforted on Monday, luckily I'vegot more than one, but I'm taking my cuddly one.
  • zippykinszippykins Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Best of luck OP - just try to zone out and think of other things for the length of the scan. The strange thumping noises vary and may you find yourself tuning in to the rhythm! I was obviously keen to get mine over with though, as the person doing to scan told me off for jumping down from the platform without a step! :o

I actaully found the MRI less annoying that the CT scan I had a few days before where I had to have wires stuck to my head then lights shone in my face and turned on and off...
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my first MRI scan in May on my lower back too. I was dreading it as I'm quite claustrophobic, but it wasn't half as bad as I'd imagined :)

It's like lying in the top of an aeroplane cabin, that's the best way I can describe it. It does clang and bang, but I took my own CD and could work out exactly how long I was in there by the number of songs I heard, 24.5 minutes! To be honest, I spent the first 10 minutes with my eyes closed trying to convert kgs to pounds, as when they weighed me before I went into the scanner I weighed about half a stone less than I expected :D

You'll be fine, especially in your own dressing gown for familiarity :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    OK its really not as bad as you think - people are very nervous when they turn up but for the majority of patients they are fine and even the ones who are *extremely claustrophobic* by their own admission, rarely squeeze the panic ball to stop the scan.

MRI's are all open-ended now - its not sealed at one end.

They are noisy and you will get headphones and you can bring your own choice of music if you want.

If its required, you may have to have a matrix coil (cage-thingy or what looks like a lattice made of foam with hard plastic on the top) for the scan to improve the quality of the scans of certain body parts - do not be alarmed! Also the head matrix has an angled mirror in it so that you can see whats behind you to focus on something else.

Scans may last some time but be aware that you may need more imaging and it might last longer than expected - this isnt for any sinister reasons - its simply gathering more info and if you can stick it out it will help in diagnosis etc later on!

You will get warmer during the scan - its normal - as the MRI uses radiowaves to conduct the scan and the frequencies heat up the body. Its called SAR and thats why you are weighed before going in - so that the SAR (specific absorption rate) can be calculated to your body and no overheating is possible! Its perfectly safe!

Just try to relax and you will be fine - some patients even fall asleep somtimes during long scans! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    OK its really not as bad as you think - people are very nervous when they turn up but for the majority of patients they are fine and even the ones who are *extremely claustrophobic* by their own admission, rarely squeeze the panic ball to stop the scan.

They are noisy and you will get headphones and you can bring your own choice of music if you want.

If its required, you may have to have a matrix coil (cage-thingy or what looks like a lattice made of foam with hard plastic on the top) for the scan to improve the quality of the scans of certain body parts - do not be alarmed! Also the head matrix has an angled mirror in it so that you can see whats behind you to focus on something else.

Scans may last some time but be aware that you may need more imaging and it might last longer than expected - this isnt for any sinister reasons - its simply gathering more info and if you can stick it out it will help in diagnosis etc later on!

You will get warmer during the scan - its normal - as the MRI uses radiowaves to conduct the scan and the frequencies heat up the body. Its called SAR and thats why you are weighed before going in - so that the SAR (specific absorption rate) can be calculated to your body and no overheating is possible! Its perfectly safe!

Just try to relax and you will be fine - some patients even fall asleep somtimes during long scans! :D

Oh , God - yer what???:confused:
  • v0idv0id Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh , God - yer what???:confused:

A restraint, to stop your head moving too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    v0id wrote: »

Why didn't you say that in the first place.:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    v0id wrote: »

Its not a restraint - it doesnt actually touch you in any way as that would interfere with the scan.

At least the head coil doesnt touch you, but there are pads that are used to hold your head in place in so that you dont move your head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »

Well, I had it on Tuesday. It didn't hurt, there was nothing really to be scared but I had a complete panic blarted my eyes out before even going in the room, had a panic attack, (most unusual for me) was holding my breath and then hyperventilating alternately. Then I thought I was going to be sick and choke on it. I had to press the thingy once and the nurses came out and were superb in trying to put me at ease.

Anyway - the main thing is - if anyone else is about to have an MRI scan and might read this thread JUST DO IT - there is nothing really to worry about. What bugged me most of all was the having to lie completely still in a tube bit. I really didn't like not being able to move and just having to lie completely still, but I'll gain from it in the long run because I'll find out what is causing me so much pain and slowly taking away my ability to walk.

Sorry. Ain't I gone on.:o:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I had it on Tuesday. It didn't hurt, there was nothing really to be scared but I had a complete panic blarted my eyes out before even going in the room, had a panic attack, (most unusual for me) was holding my breath and then hyperventilating alternately. Then I thought I was going to be sick and choke on it. I had to press the thingy once and the nurses came out and were superb in trying to put me at ease.

Anyway - the main thing is - if anyone else is about to have an MRI scan and might read this thread JUST DO IT - there is nothing really to worry about. What bugged me most of all was the having to lie completely still in a tube bit. I really didn't like not being able to move and just having to lie completely still, but I'll gain from it in the long run because I'll find out what is causing me so much pain and slowly taking away my ability to walk.

It's always good when people update the thread with a positive.

Glad it went OK and hope the results give some answers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Woodbush.

I was in two minds as to whether to send my last post, giving that the thread had gone a long way down the line, but you've made me feel ALRIGHT. :p:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    You can wear pajamas/track suit type clothes that do not have any metal in them. Look for eyelets etc. I think most of the machines can play cds you only have to ask.
    I found it no hassle just close your eyes and wonder why your favorite music has a new "drummer" in the back ground.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Anastasia - Aww, you did get yourself into a little pickle! Pleased it's done now and you can put others' minds at rest. :)
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to hear it went ok, and if you have to have another one at any point, you know what it's like now, and that it's not that bad. Hope the results are of help.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well done! I had to go head first into an MRI a few years back when they wanted to check for a brain tumour. It was a bit wary, but just closed my eyes and started imagining that the machine would give me special powers or something like that.

It took about 40 minutes, but didn't seem that long.

Like you say, if anyone ever feels nervous about an MRI it's only natural, but once you're in there, it doesn't feel as 'closed in' as it looks, and your health is the top priority!
  • BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be thankful you are not me, I was 25 stone (and still am) when I had mine done. I booked in a open MRI due to my size, but when I got there, for a 3 hour drive, they said they had accidentally booked me in for a closed MRI and either I went away or they could try to fit me in a closed one. I should of gone away but it was a 3 hour drive back, so it would of been a wasted 6 hour journey, so I gave it a shot in the closed one.

Seeing as you have now had your MRI I can write the below without causing concern..........

Now I know what it must be like to be buried, my shoulders were scrunched in, and I couldn't even move an arm at all, and I had to lie like that for over an hour as I had a back, neck, and brain MRI done at once. I was sweating like a pig. When the machine moved back and fourth the headphone wire became jammed so I was almost strangled each time it moved far up the machine. I didn't press the panic button as I just shut my eyes and put up with the discomfort, but for someone of my size, it should never have worked or been done.

The good side though is that 10 years ago, when I was a slimmer 15 stone, it was totally fine. So the moral to this story is, if you are big like me, go for an open MRI and if they book you in for a closed one by mistake, don't attempt it unless you really have to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    Be thankful you are not me, I was 25 stone (and still am) when I had mine done. I booked in a open MRI due to my size, but when I got there, for a 3 hour drive, they said they had accidentally booked me in for a closed MRI and either I went away or they could try to fit me in a closed one. I should of gone away but it was a 3 hour drive back, so it would of been a wasted 6 hour journey, so I gave it a shot in the closed one.

Seeing as you have now had your MRI I can write the below without causing concern..........

Now I know what it must be like to be buried, my shoulders were scrunched in, and I couldn't even move an arm at all, and I had to lie like that for over an hour as I had a back, neck, and brain MRI done at once. I was sweating like a pig. When the machine moved back and fourth the headphone wire became jammed so I was almost strangled each time it moved far up the machine. I didn't press the panic button as I just shut my eyes and put up with the discomfort, but for someone of my size, it should never have worked or been done.

The good side though is that 10 years ago, when I was a slimmer 15 stone, it was totally fine. So the moral to this story is, if you are big like me, go for an open MRI and if they book you in for a closed one by mistake, don't attempt it unless you really have to.

This is really interesting to note. I didn't know you there was a choice between "open" and "closed" MRI scans. If ever I have to go for another - which I suspect I shall - I will certainly ask about having an "open" one.

Many thanks for your post, Blizzard
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had mine last Tuesday, and size wise I ain't Twiggy.

I went in feet first, and my shoulders were hard up against the sides of the machine. I felt very claustrophobic, but did manage not to press the emergency button.

I was in there for about 20 minutes, hands folded across my chest, and at the end when I sat up I went very dizzy, it took me a few minutes to recover. I certainly would not want to have another one.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really interesting to note. I didn't know you there was a choice between "open" and "closed" MRI scans. If ever I have to go for another - which I suspect I shall - I will certainly ask about having an "open" one.

Many thanks for your post, Blizzard

I am pleased i read this, i did not know there was such a thing as an open MRI either. Does anyone know if the closed MRI machines are bigger than they used to be as the ones you see on TV look quite large but the one i was in back in 1999 felt very cramped and i am quite skinny?.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My last MRI was lst year on my neck, back and shoulder. I was in and out of it for about 90 mins in total, cos they had to scan he different bits of me. The best thing you can take with you is your imagination. Close your eyes and go for a walk along a beach, ignore the noise, listen to your music and relax. You'll be fine :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had MRI scan last November when i was in hospital getting keyhole surgery to take gallbladder out had complications after that had to get 2nd op, they used MRI to find if leaking bile was in small bowel, its painless but noisey you just lie there and the operator talks to you through speakers when you go through tunnel!
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me I have sensitive hearing so it was fairly loud for me but nothing to worry about. Having the cd helps. One time I had it with earplugs as well as he headphones which really helped block the sound even more, you can get them in boots, I think they are foam. But this is because I am sensitive to loud noise I am sure you will be fine. I also brought with me those things they give you on flights to so it is totally black when you sleep. By wearing those I couldn't tell how big or small the device was which helped a lot.

PJ
  • cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had a few over the years for my head and they are fine , I'm normally ok as the nurse is always watching and on speaker if u need to hear a voice. I had one which the machine was not working I was in and out like a yo yo but it did calm me down as in the end there was a mobile machine on hospital site so got moved there and when asked if I been in one before my mum burst into laughter warning I cursed the last one lol
    If you do have issues with confined spaces advise the nurse as they can talk you through and make sure your happy and calm .
    Good luck :)