Still Juddering

Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
Can someone explain to a non techie person like me why it is that on BBC News programmes (both national and London) it seems impossible for them to freeze a picture without it juddering (for want of a better term). I'm sure you know what I mean. It most commonly occurs on the news headlines, were you might get four ten second clips in a row, and very often they either won't be quite ready for the first one, so you might have a second of a still frame before the sequence starts, or at the end of the sequence, before the titles come on.

I'm sure it's not my standard definition Tv, because my 8 year old bog standard DVD gives me a perfect still picture whenever I press pause, so why can't the Beeb with all it's high-tech equipment pause an image without it jumping around?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If as you say yourself it's only for a split second, does it really matter?
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain to a non techie person like me why it is that on BBC News programmes (both national and London) it seems impossible for them to freeze a picture without it juddering (for want of a better term). I'm sure you know what I mean. It most commonly occurs on the news headlines, were you might get four ten second clips in a row, and very often they either won't be quite ready for the first one, so you might have a second of a still frame before the sequence starts, or at the end of the sequence, before the titles come on.

I'm sure it's not my standard definition Tv, because my 8 year old bog standard DVD gives me a perfect still picture whenever I press pause, so why can't the Beeb with all it's high-tech equipment pause an image without it jumping around?

They just don't attempt to iron such things out unless there is an avalanche of complaints made about the issue to the relevant broadcaster.

Perfect example: For the last 10 months or so, there has been a glitch problem with the majority of BBC1 ident playouts (idents being the footage used when announcing the programme about to be shown, in BBC1's case, with the 'BBC one' in the centre of the screen, 'hippos', 'kites' etc - I'm sure you get what I'm talking about). A split-second into the affected ident, there is a momentary glitch/jolt. How many people have spotted this in the 10 months since this problem began? As far as I can tell, judging by these, and other forums, me only.

These technical issues do not get looked into or investigated unless enough people complain to the relevant broadcaster about it.