Options

Scandimania - C4, Sundays 8pm

Comments

• Options
    eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 23,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollox to that pretentious chef with his Thyme flowers and 22 course meal...loved the jolly Danish Pastry chef though! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Copenhagen looks like a lovely city.

It certainly does....makes me want to go there!
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    eviled2010 wrote: »
    It certainly does....makes me want to go there!

Me too. Funny that there's more bikes than people. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. Funny that there's more bikes than people. :D

Bit like Oxford, but to the power of 10!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The people all seem to be a bit brainwashed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people all seem to be a bit brainwashed.

I'd have said they seem a bit more "enlightened" rather than "brainwashed".
    They seem in to being a part of a more equal society and don't have that almost Pavlovian "anti" response to the idea of paying taxes....I think that might be down to the fact that they actually see a benefit for themselves and others from paying tax, unlike here where it goes on invading other countries and paying for second homes for MPs.
    Of course, I could be totally wrong, but I am seriously thinking of going there to experience Denmark!.
    Thanks Hugh for an interesting programme!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd have said they seem a bit more "enlightened" rather than "brainwashed".
    They seem in to being a part of a more equal society and don't have that almost Pavlovian "anti" response to the idea of paying taxes....I think that might be down to the fact that they actually see a benefit for themselves and others from paying tax, unlike here where it goes on invading other countries and paying for second homes for MPs.
    Of course, I could be totally wrong, but I am seriously thinking of going there to experience Denmark!.
    Thanks Hugh for an interesting programme!

I wasn't just referring to paying taxes. The chef from Noma said that everyone is brought up to believe that fitting in with the normal is fine. I agree with him when he said that standing out from the normal is good sometimes. It all seems a bit too Utopian. It feels like the everyone there is living in one giant cult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't just referring to paying taxes. The chef from Noma said that everyone is brought up to believe that fitting in with the normal is fine. I agree with him when he said that standing out from the normal is good sometimes. It all seems a bit too Utopian.

Point taken.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to Copenhagen in July - this show has totally whet my appetite to go there! I can't wait to go now!

I've always wanted to get round to watching some of their dramas as well like The Killing and the Bridge but I've never got round to watching them. I love other shows like Spiral which have been shown on BBC4 (French in English subtitles) so I'm confident I'll love those shows too.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to Copenhagen in July - this show has totally whet my appetite to go there! I can't wait to go now!

I've always wanted to get round to watching some of their dramas as well like The Killing and the Bridge but I've never got round to watching them. I love other shows like Spiral which have been shown on BBC4 (French in English subtitles) so I'm confident I'll love those shows too.
    You will! And don't forget Borgen. :)
  • Options
    MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Make sure you take the train trip across the Oresund Bridge to Malmo. It should be lovely in July.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I watched "The Bridge", I thought it was fantastic, do watch it!
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    You will! And don't forget Borgen. :)
    I watched "The Bridge", I thought it was fantastic, do watch it!

I'll make sure I watch these before I go! :D
    Mariaella wrote: »
    Make sure you take the train trip across the Oresund Bridge to Malmo. It should be lovely in July.

Thanks for the tip, I will do. It looks like such a beautiful place!
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The people both in Sweden and especially Denmark seem so content with life and I guess on of the reasons is they seem happy to pay taxes to support people.

I would rather be laid back and happy than constantly moaning about things.

The couple who were happy to pay 50% tax and more were refreshingly honest about all the free stuff people get off governments and their duty to pay it back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The people both in Sweden and especially Denmark seem so content with life and I guess on of the reasons is they seem happy to pay taxes to support people.

The couple who were happy to pay 50% tax and more were refreshingly honest about all the free stuff people get off governments and their duty to pay it back.

Indeed, they seemed more aware of the fundamental value of a "social contract" if I might call it that.
    Not just one tiny elite layer of society, ruling the rest, creaming off the profit, screaming "Austerity, austerity, austerity (for the many, not the few)" and imposing taxes which only seem to produce a diminishing return.
    It was very refreshing to see and hear.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with him when he said that standing out from the normal is good sometimes. It all seems a bit too Utopian. It feels like the everyone there is living in one giant cult.

This is the difference between an individualistic culture (as the Anglosphere countries are) and a more collectivist one.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It feels like the everyone there is living in one giant cult.

yeah i really struggle to tell Denmark and North Korea apart myself.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

We're happy to pay high taxes more for supporting the place rather than the people, although being able to take a years paternity leave at near full pay is one major item for example!
    It really is wonderful that the place is kept in constant great condition, such as roads ploughed twice a day in winter, potholes filled within 24 hrs after winter, country paths and parks maintained continuely, and more. It's many small things but the total benefit to the quality of life is brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOLD! when's the next flight to Denmark....
  • Options
    Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .. I was wanting to go too after watching this programme - and then they went and killed Marius :(
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    All those bikes and not a helmet in site.

I wonder what the accident stats are and how they compare to Britain/London?
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Well they won't have cars colliding with cyclists half so much there. They have the infrastructure for cycling on roads that we lack here. I'd actually like riding a bike there whereas riding on busy main roads here scares me.

Anyway that episode just made me even more keen on visiting Denmark at some stage. I don't see it as utopian there; just a more mature spirit of collaboration rather than being combative. That farm at the end was beautiful - lovely scenery. The only downside was that I noticed they had a pretentious BBQ: meat with some kind of fruity sauce on it. I'll never forget when I was served something similar at a posh wedding (it was beef with strawberry sauce). It was gross; I don't want fruit with my meat. >:( I had to scrape it off.

It was nice to hear from Søren Malling too - I feel that I 'know' him as much as our British actors, having watched him in The Killing 1 and Borgen. :)

This week = Norway. I think the other Scandis see them as quite quirky.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That lifeboat drop looks like fun.

The sheep's head less so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sheeps heads look barbaric. :o
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    He made a lot of fuss (visually) about that sheeps head.
    Hugh's got his own hobby farm thing hasn't he?
    Staring at the machine like it was a torturers rack or something.
    'Oh just eat it and shut-up will you' I thought.

Edit: I could probably dip in and out of the slow TV, train journey, and maybe the Ferry, Knitting comp would be a no, no though.