Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Is there honestly a school in the land which would allow Bethany to wear a skirt that short, with knee high Britney Spears-style socks?! No way would the girls in my son's school get away with it!

Our local schools tend to see skirt wearing as a privilege and if girls abuse it by wearing belts they can only wear trousers.

Could they make Beth more one dimensional if they tried? Of course she couldn't just go to school in sensible uniform and work hard, heaven forbid.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Does Carla do anything but drink red wine?

Callum continues to wonder around the street like a strumpet.
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redpoppy wrote: »
    Bethany back at lunch time again. How does she have time to get the bus back home, eat lunch and then bus back again all in an hours lunch break?

And what an ungrateful little madam she is! :o If I'd been Carla I would have taken the money back off her.

And unless she's using a bus pass, the cost of the bus journeys would have bought her the food she needed to get money off Carla to buy! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    Could they make Beth more one dimensional if they tried? Of course she couldn't just go to school in sensible uniform and work hard, heaven forbid.

For a moment, I thought you meant Beth as in Kirk :o

That's got me thinking mind - two characters in the Street with effectively the same name! Isn't that against the rules?! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there honestly a school in the land which would allow Bethany to wear a skirt that short, with knee high Britney Spears-style socks?! No way would the girls in my son's school get away with it!

Remember what Bethany's middle name is though! :D
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    Our local schools tend to see skirt wearing as a privilege and if girls abuse it by wearing belts they can only wear trousers.

Going back many, many years (!), I think it was a school rule that the girls had to wear a skirt. However, not being female and the grey cells are fading I maybe mistaken!
  • RedpoppyRedpoppy Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back many, many years (!), I think it was a school rule that the girls had to wear a skirt. However, not being female and the grey cells are fading I maybe mistaken!

Our skirts weren't allowed to be more than 2 inches above our knees - and that was in the days when mini skirts were the height of fashion!!
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Any idea why Carla just happened to be in the gym when Sarah just happened to pop in to tell Callum off about the phone he bought for Max? :o

Carla seems to have taken over tina's role of just walking up and down the street all day, bumping into people. Though why she should be in the gym, god only knows.

Actually, I'm surprised she hasn't interacted with callum, who also seems to be on the street whenever sarah leaves the house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was at senior school in the 70s & girls couldnt wear trousers, but in the last couple of years I was there it was allowed in winter. Dont know if there was a skirt length restriction , a few girls alway wore extremely shortsones & never seemed to be reprimanded.
    Happy days:D
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Do they get an hour these days? Just as I left school i the late 80's, our timetable had moved to a 40 minute dinner break, to get an earlier finish to the day.

At my school in the seventies the dinner break was ninety minutes, which gave enough time to get the bus home, have a can of Heinz cheese and onion soup and watch an episode of General Hospital :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my school in the seventies the dinner break was ninety minutes, which gave enough time to get the bus home, have a can of Heinz cheese and onion soup and watch an episode of General Hospital :D

Ditto - about the lenght of dinner anyway:D
  • willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not complaining. :D
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had to kneel down and if the ruler measured our skirt more than an inch from the floor the ruler was used to whack our hand! Boarding school = brutal!
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Funny that, I think her middle name is Britney, A full face of slap too!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Mine too, in the early 80s. And we had playtime morning and afternoon. Don't know how we fit lessons in.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Carla do anything but drink red wine?

Callum continues to wonder around the street like a strumpet.

She seemed to be the only one at the wine tasting too, and being the wine connoisseur that she is, she'd surely already know about the different varieties and wine terminology.
    Yet she seemed clueless and amused as to what that expert was rambling on about>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    90 minute lunch breaks and girls wearing micro skirts at my school 60/70s Didn't Carla used to go to AA meetings or has all that been forgotten about
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    She seemed to be the only one at the wine tasting too, and being the wine connoisseur that she is, she'd surely already know about the different varieties and wine terminology.
    Yet she seemed clueless and amused as to what that expert was rambling on about>:(
    She's slowly becoming a caricature. Almost obligatory that she must have a glass of red in her hand.
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    90 minute lunch breaks and girls wearing micro skirts at my school 60/70s Didn't Carla used to go to AA meetings or has all that been forgotten about

All forgotten. Unless she just pretended to be alcoholic to ensnare Peter?
    Forum Member
    She's slowly becoming a caricature. Almost obligatory that she must have a glass of red in her hand.

More like Abfab's Patsy every day. :cool:
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    For a moment, I thought you meant Beth as in Kirk :o

That's got me thinking mind - two characters in the Street with effectively the same name! Isn't that against the rules?! ;)

Just what I said on another thread! And doesn't Sarah actually call Bethany "Beth" sometimes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old are Carla and Nick supposed to be? At the "wine tasting" they were constantly repeating "the bosomy one" and giggling like 8 year olds. I know they were supposed to be flirting but honestly how stupid was that :(
  • caroilcaroil Posts: 302
    Forum Member

Well I am female and we were not allowed to wear trousers to school I left school in the late 80s
  • m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back off my Carla you lot :p
    it's not her fault she drinks alot, having to live on a street like that. I'd be living in that wine cellar
  • m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All forgotten. Unless she just pretended to be alcoholic to ensnare Peter?

She was a wino and still is, she said once that she could never stop drinking and didn't want to or something. Which is fair play, she practically baths in it now aswell
This discussion has been closed.