Options

the real loser is The Show, and here's why

DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Simon, by not removing the twins when he had the opportunity, has diminished the idea that the show is a sing ing competition.

We all know it isn't really a singing competion though and its this pretence that we all go along with has elavated the show to its current high position but he has blown this illusion well out of the water for once and for all.

He has, in one moment of poor judgement revealed his cynical and low opinion of us the viewers, he and others will blame the voting but remember Danyl was in the bottom 2 once and most good singers get one bad week.

For me the gloss is well and truly been removed from the show, from panto to farce in one show.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Simon, by not removing the twins when he had the opportunity, has diminished the idea that the show is a sing ing competition.

We all know it isn't really a singing competion though and its this pretence that we all go along with has elavated the show to its current high position but he has blown this illusion well out of the water for once and for all.

He has, in one moment of poor judgement revealed his cynical and low opinion of us the viewers, he and others will blame the voting but remember Danyl was in the bottom 2 once and most good singers get one bad week.

For me the gloss is well and truly been removed from the show, from panto to farce in one show.

I agree. The lack of clear defintion between this show and Britain's Got Talent will erode both of them in the long run.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...
  • Options
    marlomarlo Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Cowell is just playing this as a game, rather than a talent contest. His aim is to get rid of everyone apart from his own singers, even though there is better/equal talent to that of his own 3.

The best reaction to this and to make sure it all back fires on him is to ensure that JEdward now win the competition. I'd love to see his face then. (By the way, I have never been a JEdward fan and wanted them out of the competition since day one, I've been voting for Joe, Olly, Stacey and Lucy all along)
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »

Nonsense. It's a popularity contest unless an exceptional singer comes along (once in a blue moon). I hardly think passing the decision to the public displays a "cynical and low opinion of the viewers".
  • Options
    xenosysxenosys Posts: 1,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People will turn up to the auditions in future knowing that it's not necessarily vocal talent that will get you through to the final 12, it's being able to provide the general public with something different, but in turn it may immediately discourage potential world-class singers from turning up and going through the process, turning it into even more of a pantomime than it already is.

Mr Blobby, The Chuckle Brothers, Zig & Zag, Bob The Builder, Spongebob Squarepants & The Disney Tribute Act might be the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xenosys wrote: »
    People will turn up to the auditions in future knowing that it's not necessarily vocal talent that will get you through to the final 12, it's being able to provide the general public with something different, but in turn it may immediately discourage potential world-class singers from turning up and going through the process, turning it into even more of a pantomime than it already is.

Mr Blobby, The Chuckle Brothers, Zig & Zag, Bob The Builder, Spongebob Squarepants & The Disney Tribute Act might be the future.

They've only had one world class singer in the competition since it started though, so hardly anything new there. Remember a couple of years ago the terrifying Ray Quinn was in the final. A travesty of monumental proportions!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I agree entirely with the OP - this is almost word for word what I was going to post myself.

Of course everyone, apart from the very young or very gullible, know it is realy an entertainment show pretending to be a talent contest. But we have been happy to go along with this pretence because it makes good TV. However, last night Cowell broke his side of the bargain - he stopped pretending.

Short term he might think he as done the right thing since this will generate huge publicity and the viewing and voting figures for this series will probably not be hurt.

But long term I think he will realise that he has fundamentally damaged the brand and people will not buy in to it with the same enthusiasm for future series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claret Zip wrote: »
    But long term I think he will realise that he has fundamentally damaged the brand and people will not buy in to it with the same enthusiasm for future series.

I don't believe that for a second. It just brings more publicity to the show (and him.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe that for a second. It just brings more publicity to the show (and him.)

Yes, but when you are marketing a brand, long term sustainability has to take precedent over short-term 'stunts'. John and Edward winning the show would damage the brand and erode the niche it has carved for itself.

If it becomes too much like BGT, it will just be an inferior version of BGT - and in the long run it'll mean fewer viewers for X Factor - not to mention less record sales for the winner.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    I don't vote at all so can't really complain but it's been like this for a while now. Louis will always pick one or two novelty type acts for the group category and he hasn't disappointed in that regard for this series. Remove him from the groups for the next series if he still around.

Simon said that the sing off would be based purely on that and any previous would not influence his or the other's decisions. He then goes on about what went on before. He know's that more money will be generated by keeping the twins in.

Louis keeps going on about it should be fun ad nauseum. No harm in having a bit of fun but ultimately it's a talent show. Simon can't complain if the twins go on to win it. He had an open goal to tap the ball into and he fluffed it. It's all a circus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But J&E won't win - they'll just be there long enough to generate the publicity.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense. It's a popularity contest unless an exceptional singer comes along (once in a blue moon). I hardly think passing the decision to the public displays a "cynical and low opinion of the viewers".

it absolutely did last night.

if the result was based on the public vote, then so be it. Lucy came bottom, and should be out.

but its not - the public only votes to decide the bottom two, from which the judges have the final say.

and, being a singing competition, they should vote to keep in the best singer(s).

clearly, throughout the competition, and this weekend, Lucy is - by a country mile - better than John and Edward.

for Cowell to put it to the public vote was a total cop out, and he failed in his role as judge to vote on singing ability.

last week was bad enough - i suppose he just about had the benefit of the collective doubt because of Lloyd's voice - but even so, it has been clear for a few weeks now that Lloyd isn't strong enough, and again the better singer lost out.

Danii has every right to be furious with the events of the last two weeks, and this week it really did become farce.

Iain