Last minute holiday holiday in the UK

diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi
Supposed to be going to Menorca on Friday.......However we would like to be prepared to be disappointed that it might be cancelled due to the ash cloud.

We still want to get away for the week as hubby has the time booked off and well, to be fair, we need a change of scenery.

Any ideas for a last minute break? Something a bit different maybe. We go to cottages about 3 times a year so we would like to try something different, unless you know an awesome cottage somewhere that needs visiting.

All ideas will be appreciated.

There will be me, hubby, little diddy (turning 3 next week) and tiny diddy (5 months).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• NWScotsNWScots Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one http://www.croftcottageharris.co.uk/ is certainly awesome! Scenery in the area is outstanding too. Pricey though as it's 5 star. May not be available at short notice but perhaps worth keeping in mind for another time...:)
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    You don't say what kind of thing you are looking for, so not sure what help my post will be.

If you want an active break (hillwalking, horse riding, water sports...) then I would recommend Fort William or Pitlochry.

If you are looking for history then head on up to the Orkney islands, Shetland is quite good too. The boat trips are great, the history is amazing and the people are brilliant.

City life - London!!! Love London.

Also, given you have young kids, what about Haven or Butlins? They are a lot better these days than they used to be, the kids will love them and you'll probably have a good time too. At least all activities, shows and such like will be put on for you and all in the one place. Should be cheap at this time of the year.
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't say what kind of thing you are looking for, so not sure what help my post will be.

To be fair I will consider anything to begin with as we have no idea what to do or where to go, and by restricting it to 'we only want....' someone might not suggest something/where that we'd never even thought of and would quite like to go to. So yes, your post was helpful.

Might give Butlins a look at. We're based in the midlands so we're quite accessible to most of the country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NWScots wrote: »
    This one http://www.croftcottageharris.co.uk/ is certainly awesome! Scenery in the area is outstanding too. Pricey though as it's 5 star. May not be available at short notice but perhaps worth keeping in mind for another time...:)

WOW!!!:)
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.tomich-holidays.co.uk/ a long drive but beauley firth, glen affric, dog falls, inverness, excelent places to visit.

Not much night life though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Center Parcs maybe?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxSammiexx wrote: »
    Center Parcs maybe?

Oh yes, good idea!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go camping. Proper camping in field with nothing around for miles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prankz wrote: »
    Go camping. Proper camping in field with nothing around for miles.

Actually going camping bank holiday weekend to try our new tent. We'll need assistance the 1st time I think.:o:D Cheers anyway.