Options

Oil warning light in my car

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tonight my oil warning light came on and I had to stop several times to top it up, even though it had been completely topped up about a week ago. It was dark so I couldn't check the level on the dipstick.

I must have put nearly half of a 5 litre bottle in but still the light came on again and stayed on. I carried on driving home (about another 4 miles) because I'd gone out in a hurry and forgot my phone and didn't really want to stop and leave my car and walk along a dark, unlit road.

Question is, do warning lights come on when you have too much oil in as well as when there's not enough and if so, can having too much oil in cause any damage. The car drove/sounded alright.

Comments

• Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd soon know if you had too much oil in. You would be seeing massive big plumes of thick white smoke coming out of your exhaust. You would need to drain it out or take it to a garage to do it.

Your oil could have been very low or you may not have put in as much as you think. When it's light out tomorrow, check it properly with the dipstick.

I once put too much oil in my engine, but the light wasn't on, just the white smoke everywhere. I had to pull over and call the AA, who told me not to drive it. He towed me.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight my oil warning light came on and I had to stop several times to top it up, even though it had been completely topped up about a week ago. It was dark so I couldn't check the level on the dipstick.

I must have put nearly half of a 5 litre bottle in but still the light came on again and stayed on. I carried on driving home (about another 4 miles) because I'd gone out in a hurry and forgot my phone and didn't really want to stop and leave my car and walk along a dark, unlit road.

Question is, do warning lights come on when you have too much oil in as well as when there's not enough and if so, can having too much oil in cause any damage. The car drove/sounded alright.

Not normally. Sounds like a faulty warning light. The light will come on well before the level is to low.

Check the dipstick in the morning and get it checked out by a garage. Have you had a filter/oil change recently?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flakecake wrote: »
    You'd soon know if you had too much oil in. You would be seeing massive big plumes of thick white smoke coming out of your exhaust. You would need to drain it out or take it to a garage to do it.

Your oil could have been very low or you may not have put in as much as you think. When it's light out tomorrow, check it properly with the dipstick.

I once put too much oil in my engine, but the light wasn't on, just the white smoke everywhere. I had to pull over and call the AA, who told me not to drive it. He towed me.:o

White smoke is water, blue smoke is oil:confused:
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    White smoke is water, blue smoke is oil:confused:

The smoke was definitely white and there was loads of it. It was definitely the oil because I put too much in and set off on my journey. The AA bloke lived in my town and as it was after 6pm he towed me back to his house and drained it for me. It was fine after that, except for a little smoke for a mile or 2. If it was blue, it was a very white shade of blue:eek::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    You really need to check your cars handbook.
    There will be a page or two that will explain the potential issues when the corresponding warning lights are lit.
    Too little oil, oil temperature, oil needs changing....it could be any one of a few things. Is the light on continously or does it flash....Your handbook will explain all.
    If in any doubt, take it to a local garage....
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - the oil pressure warning light could be a number of items not just low oil level. It could be the sensor (they seem overly sensitive on modern cars).

You say you topped it up last week, is this something you have to do often ? Do you see signs of an oil leak in the engine bay or does the car regularly smoke blueish smoke?

As for how much to put in, from no oil showing on the dip stick to getting to the upper mark on the dip stick should definitely be less then a litre on a small engine car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's not a modern car by any means. Nor is it small engined, its a 2 litre turbo. I had a brand new turbo fitted about 2 years ago, if that makes any difference.

It was about 3 weeks ago, possibly more, when it was last topped up and it was nearly empty then and took about 3 litres. (A man did it for me so it must have been right)

It's had a small leak for a few months - it was pointed out at the MOT but I was told it was not very bad and just to keep an eye on it. I've had some major financial outgoings and just can't afford to have my car done unless and until it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks for all your responses so far. Well, all but one of them.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oil pressure warning on a turbo is usually not great news. My guess there is a leak or gasket is worn and its burning the oil, I car should not need topping up every couple of weeks and 3 litres is quite a lot.

For the time being keep an eye on it but I would definitely get it looked at when you get a chance. If you get the engine bay cleaned it should be easier to spot a leak.
  • Options
    EyeOfTheStormEyeOfTheStorm Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moosifer wrote: »
    - idiot could have broken it... I had a quick ask of google on my phone and ten minutes later I had flicked the catch back up with a screwdriver, job's a good'n

Just happened to have a screwdriver with you eh.;)

In your handbag was it.:)
  • Options
    kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member

I have a fully equipped toolbox in my car and always have had,, So would also have had a screwdriver handy ;)
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Have you had chance to check the dipstick yet today ? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kizzie wrote: »
    I have a fully equipped toolbox in my car and always have had,, So would also have had a screwdriver handy ;)
    And I keep a box of tampons in my wallet.;)
    lots of cars come with a basic toolkit. Quite a lot of cars come with knobs as well.... and not just on the dashboard ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member

Of course I did, it was in the boot along with my socket set, spanners and WD40... who doesn't carry a basic toolkit in their car? :p

----

OP hope you get your problem sorted- random lights are a worry...
  • Options
    afrikaafrika Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem with my car, I just bought a BMW with on board trip computer. Everything seemed perfect in the car, till when i start the car, the service indicator said - 8050 and oil light was always coming on. So i took it for diagnostic checks and got it serviced, just to be on the safe side.

Take it to a garage, but beware halfrauds gave me a bill of £1,300 so i took it else where.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the oil mixing in with the combustion chamber? check the oil fillter cap for any mayo looking substance. If so they you most certainly have a head gasket failure.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gage wrote: »
    Is the oil mixing in with the combustion chamber? check the oil fillter cap for any mayo looking substance. If so they you most certainly have a head gasket failure.

Sorry, but this is not true.

The "mayo" is caused by the oil mixing with water (condensation) in the filler cap due to using the car for short journeys, therefore not allowing the engine temperature to get high enough and consequently producing condensation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    Have you had chance to check the dipstick yet today ? :)

Yes, I have checked the dipstick. It seems OK but to be absolutely honest I'm not sure because it's one of those short little blobby ones, rather than the ones that have 2 lines with "full" and "empty" or some such on them. Also there was a small puddle of oil under the car but I'm sure that this was due to me spilling a bit due to putting the oil in in almost total darkness last night.

The warning light is now off and I've driven around a bit to get the termerature up and there was no sign of smoke coming out the back.

I haven't seen any sign of "mayo" though, which is a good thing. Also, I think I said before I had a brand new turbo fitted about 2 years ago, so I would have thought that the gasket(s) would be OK.

I suppose I'd better resign myself to some more smart arse remarks from certain posters, but thanks to most of you for your helpful suggestions and advice.
    kizzie wrote: »
    *Snort* :D

Yeah, me too.