Options

You've had our feedbback

Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
Dear Digital Spy,

You've had our feedback.

When is someone in authority going to respond?

Comments

• Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly when they've had time to sift through the 10000000001 pages in the feedback thread that is still growing beyond all comprehension.

Patience. :p
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe they let it get this far. This new layout is terrible. It should never had gotton further than someone's brain fart in a meeting.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    when advertisers start pulling their business, they`re not interested in owt else, that much is evident.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should 'anyone in authority' (whoever you consider that to be) respond? It's not 'our' website to dictate what the owners should and should not do with it. If the owners are happy that, current technical issues aside, the look and feel is basically ok and they've been convinced that the wrinkles will be ironed out, then who are we to say otherwise? Yes, yes, the site is driven by ads, companies choose to advertise - or not - based on traffic, and therefore keep the site running for us to use, but we're not shareholders. We have no, and shouldn't have any, say in what Hearst do with the site. If the users desert it in droves - which won't happen - it'll be the biggest disaster ( ;)) since New Coke, but it's only been 24 hrs, if that !

ETA - as most people faced with fixing issues have said at some point "They'll be fixed much quicker if I didn't have to keep feckin' discussing them !!" :mad:
  • Options
    Mel O'DramaticMel O'Dramatic Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love DS but if it stays like this I may have to find another forum. I'm actually getting a headache trying to read it. It's all kinds of wrong. It surely can't be the finished product?
  • Options
    DisturbedDisturbed Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    David Icke forums, Lunatic Outpost, Godlike Productions, Abovetopsecret

just a few 'other' website recommendations
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol @ people thinking they'll change it back
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather the 'powers that be' spent a day or two sifting through the feedback than make a knee-jerk reaction, although some kind of interim statement would be welcomed. Looking at the feedback so far, it's pretty clear what the overwhelming reaction is at the moment. What I hope doesn't happen is that they leave it as it is in the hope that it will 'grow' on us. As it stands, I think it makes very uncomfortable and unpleasant viewing. The layout could be worse but the colour scheme is eye-wateringly bright. It's cold, bland, clinical and seems like 'change for change's sake' rather than a well-researched/ thought out update.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disturbed wrote: »
    David Icke forums, Lunatic Outpost, Godlike Productions, Abovetopsecret

just a few 'other' website recommendations

Thank you. Where do I sign up. :s:p
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Why should 'anyone in authority' (whoever you consider that to be) respond? It's not 'our' website to dictate what the owners should and should not do with it. If the owners are happy that, current technical issues aside, the look and feel is basically ok and they've been convinced that the wrinkles will be ironed out, then who are we to say otherwise? Yes, yes, the site is driven by ads, companies choose to advertise - or not - based on traffic, and therefore keep the site running for us to use, but we're not shareholders. We have no, and shouldn't have any, say in what Hearst do with the site. If the users desert it in droves - which won't happen - it'll be the biggest disaster ( ;)) since New Coke, but it's only been 24 hrs, if that !

ETA - as most people faced with fixing issues have said at some point "They'll be fixed much quicker if I didn't have to keep feckin' discussing them !!" :mad:

The forums are only ever as good as the membership they attract that's why, without happy posters the ads mean nothing as no one will see them. So they keep us in the dark and unhappy at their own risk. People are already asking where else they can go when that starts it really can be the beginning of the end of a forum even one as big as this.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The various polls that have sprung up (I've found 5- there are probably more) all show real dislike running at over 80%

That isn't the sort of figure you can ignore in the hope it will all blow over in a few days time.

They could at least issue a holding statement saying something like 'We realise this hasn't been received as well as we expected, and improvements will be made shortly'

or even 'We don't know what all the fuss is about. It looks ok to us'.

The silence is deafening

And the forum is blinding!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

..Because why bother running a site if you don't give squat about the people who subscribe/ contribute to it, paying customers or not? Why bother having a 'discussion' section if you can't express a dislike/ preference of something on that forum itself? No, I don't feel in a position to 'dictate' anything but I do feel that expressing an opinion is a perfectly valid response to a change- whether it's favourable or not. I hope that the format does get amended but am not counting on it.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You people seem to forget that DS isn't just a forum. It's an entertainment website and maybe their KPI analysis shows that most of their user traffic reads the website and not the forums.

Maybe the forum is like a piece of pepperoni on their 12" pizza in terms of importance.

My point is - the new look website looks fantastic. That is where their efforts are at the moment, not racing down here trying to serve you self-important "me me me" people as fast as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    The forums are only ever as good as the membership they attract that's why, without happy posters the ads mean nothing as no one will see them. So they keep us in the dark and unhappy at their own risk. People are already asking where else they can go when that starts it really can be the beginning of the end of a forum even one as big as this.
    I genuinely don't believe any FM will actually quit because of the new design. Obviously we have no way of quantfying that, but I can't see why anyone would (barring any sort of cognitive 'disorder' that literally makes it un-comfortable on the eyes). BBC, Facebook, Twitter, Play, EBay etc etc have all changed their layouts, or how to use them, over the years. Never did them any harm. Users get used to them. Like I say, it won't take long for the owners to get a sense of whether traffic is falling greatly enough to concern them. My guess is it won't. If DS is gone within six months, we'll know I was wrong.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I love how the posters here think this is some kind of "Peoples' Forum" instead of a private site on which they can do what the F they like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    ..Because why bother running a site if you don't give squat about the people who subscribe/ contribute to it, paying customers or not? Why bother having a 'discussion' section if you can't express a dislike/ preference of something on that forum itself? No, I don't feel in a position to 'dictate' anything but I do feel that expressing an opinion is a perfectly valid response to a change- whether it's favourable or not. I hope that the format does get amended but am not counting on it.
    Well, offering an opinion is fine of course, and I hope the good DS folks take it on board and make improvements to the general 'usability' of it. My comment about dictating was directed to the FM I quoted as he seems to think it's his divine right to some sort of response.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member

You would have a point, if it wasn't for the fact that the entire forum user base is expressing their sheer dislike for the new style.

Even changing forum software doesn't generate a backlash like this has done - clearly suggesting that this new theme is, indeed, utterly pants and that the forum users are not prepared to tolerate it.

Management should have reverted the forum style last night, no messing about.

Whoever designed this new style is not to blame, they were tasked to create something which they probably liked themselves, and fitted with the design change parameters.

What is to blame is foolish site-wide implementation without consulting or even conducting a trial beforehand.

They may think that people will eventually stop complaining but that will be because they have all left the site in droves. Not a very smart move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, offering an opinion is fine of course, and I hope the good DS folks take it on board and make improvements to the general 'usability' of it. My comment about dictating was directed to the FM I quoted as he seems to think it's his divine right to some sort of response.

who did you quote? it`s not showing here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    My shopping list is pale blue background with black text, font Arial size 9.

The owners won't be able to give a forum where everyone is happy, all they can do is tweak and tinker over the next few weeks to try and improve things for the better. Unfortunately, they can't please everyone, nor should they have too. The masses have said that it's shite, hopefully the team aren't arrogant enough to not take that on board, but essentially they can do whatever the hell they like and are only answerable to themselves given as it's a private site.

They need to strike a balance however as the more active users there are, the more the advertisers will be drawn to the site. Unless there is a mass exodus of the forums, the only detriment is the adsense they are running as the sponsors will be more interested in the site content as opposed to a forum which is a bolt on.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the advertiser(s) paying for the top banner can't be too happy as it is hidden.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Twas me- re: posts #13 & #17 :)

OK, gashead, btw. Fair do's. That's between you and another FM, then :D
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You people seem to forget that DS isn't just a forum. It's an entertainment website and maybe their KPI analysis shows that most of their user traffic reads the website and not the forums.

Maybe the forum is like a piece of pepperoni on their 12" pizza in terms of importance.

My point is - the new look website looks fantastic. That is where their efforts are at the moment, not racing down here trying to serve you self-important "me me me" people as fast as possible.

"You people" is a bit "talk-downy" you know.

Are the forums important?

70 million posts in nearly two million threads suggests they are. However nice the main website looks, it has to compete with all the other entertainment sites and needs a USP - the busy forums are just that.

If it's "me-me-me" them multiply that by thousands of existing users - and potential future users - of both the rest of the site and the forums, who are having problems with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    'Twas me- re: posts #13 & #17 :)

OK, gashead, btw. Fair do's. That's between you and another FM, then :D

sorry, not that one, in that post he said he was aiming at the poster he quoted before but his post is showing no quote :amildlyconfusedlookingsmile:

edit: ah, 13. edit again: i mean in post 5.

more edit: ta gashead ↓↓↓↓
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would have a point, if it wasn't for the fact that the entire forum user base is expressing their sheer dislike for the new style.

Even changing forum software doesn't generate a backlash like this has done - clearly suggesting that this new theme is, indeed, utterly pants and that the forum users are not prepared to tolerate it.

Management should have reverted the forum style last night, no messing about.

They may think that people will eventually stop complaining but that will be because they have all left the site in droves. Not a very smart move.
    I don't agree that just because the - seemingly entire - user base is voicing despair at the new style, that the owners should feel compelled to revert back. I've been using DS for over ten years. Back in the day it was basically a forum dedicated soley to technical subjects (hence the 'what services do you have' and relevance of the post count) and was entirely blue and white. A few years ago, it changed to the way it looked previously. People got used to the new styles and people will get used to this one. If 'we' don't and all move to 4Chan, then Hearst will realise it was an awful mistake, but it's way to soon to judge.
    Oh yeah. I had the OP in mind, but didn't quote him. In that case, it was a comment to the group, taking into account the responses on the hundred other similar threads, not aimed at any FM in particular.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Everyone deserves a response..whats the matter with you?, DS survives by its members, any feedback should be forthcoming, not ignored. Its not a bloody "divine right"..its an accepted right to expect queries etc to be at least acknowledged. Have you visited Harrys shop recently...its called "I saw you coming!", you'll love it! ;)