What is the creepiest thing to have ever happened to you? (Part 2)

Comments

• livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a new one, which is pretty silly I'll admit but at the time it was creepy.

A few nights ago I was woken by lots of scraping and thumping sounds coming from downstairs. It was very loud too, the cat had heard it and jumped up looking like she'd been electrocuted. My first instinct was to check my sons bed as he's been known to sneak downstairs whilst I'm asleep and get up to mischief, but when I checked he was fast asleep.

This lead to me jumping out of my skin and heart racing, all while the noises continued intermittently. I put the bedroom light on and woke my boyfriend, told him what was happening and that I thought there was a burglar. We went downstairs, checked all the rooms and cupboards, the noise had stopped and there was nothing there. I apologised to my boyfriend for waking him and put it down to noises outside, even though I was certain it had come from the living room downstairs. After some time to calm down I managed to get back to sleep for a few hours.

When my son got me up in the morning I went to make him some toast and a drink of juice, and I stood in our kitchen (I have an open plan kitchen and living room) waiting for his toast to pop when out of nowhere, the RC truck I had bought my son for Christmas zoomed across the room and smacked into the sofa with a loud THUMP! Then it reversed and hit the wall, then it went forward again whilst I was looking for the remote, thinking it had been left on and trapped on something that must have been triggering it. But it was just there in the middle of the rug near the truck not being touched by anything.

First thing I did was pick the truck up, flip it over and switch the power off. I can only assume that it must have been picking up radio signals or some sort of interference from somewhere. What else could explain it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I have a new one, which is pretty silly I'll admit but at the time it was creepy.

A few nights ago I was woken by lots of scraping and thumping sounds coming from downstairs. It was very loud too, the cat had heard it and jumped up looking like she'd been electrocuted. My first instinct was to check my sons bed as he's been known to sneak downstairs whilst I'm asleep and get up to mischief, but when I checked he was fast asleep.

This lead to me jumping out of my skin and heart racing, all while the noises continued intermittently. I put the bedroom light on and woke my boyfriend, told him what was happening and that I thought there was a burglar. We went downstairs, checked all the rooms and cupboards, the noise had stopped and there was nothing there. I apologised to my boyfriend for waking him and put it down to noises outside, even though I was certain it had come from the living room downstairs. After some time to calm down I managed to get back to sleep for a few hours.

When my son got me up in the morning I went to make him some toast and a drink of juice, and I stood in our kitchen (I have an open plan kitchen and living room) waiting for his toast to pop when out of nowhere, the RC truck I had bought my son for Christmas zoomed across the room and smacked into the sofa with a loud THUMP! Then it reversed and hit the wall, then it went forward again whilst I was looking for the remote, thinking it had been left on and trapped on something that must have been triggering it. But it was just there in the middle of the rug near the truck not being touched by anything.

First thing I did was pick the truck up, flip it over and switch the power off. I can only assume that it must have been picking up radio signals or some sort of interference from somewhere. What else could explain it?

Our furby used to spring to life at 3 in the morning scaring the crap out me, it got binned soon after
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I work in a charity shop and numerous times I've been the only person on the till with nobody upstairs yet heard what appeared to be footsteps. You can usually hear when people walk about upstairs and the sounds were exactly the same. It's possible the sounds were something completely different but if they were, I have no idea what they could've been.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter was given a life-sized doll when she was 3, it was the same size as her, and walked when its hands were squeezed, and talked when a string in its back was pulled.

I've never been a doll lover, and I hated that doll. I swear it used to watch me at night. Once when I went into my daughter's room, the doll said "Goodnight Mommy" (it had an American accent) and no-one was near it to pull it's string to activate the voice.

I was so glad when my daughter decided she was too old for dolls and the hideous creature went to the charity shop.
  • Mrs HedgehogMrs Hedgehog Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Hi

Longtime lurker here :)

Aside to many paranormal investigations I've done, the creepiest "real life" thing that has happened to me, is a few years ago I rung my parents house, and after a few rings the phone picked up but nobody spoke.... All I could hear was the drip, drip, drip of the kitchen tap. I was concerned about my parents so called my Dad's mobile to discover they were not home but out shopping. I spoke to BT who told me there would be no way the phone would auto answer, so assumed they were being burgled (although in hindsight, why any burglar would answer a phone is highly unlikely!) I called the local police.

My parents returned to police climbing over their garage roof, no burglars, but when my Dad called me to let me know it was all ok, I could still hear the drip, drip, drip of the kitchen tap.

Probably not worth setting up my account to post this, but was a creepy thing at the time! :blush:
  • Mrs HedgehogMrs Hedgehog Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    And on a lighter note, an early memory was sitting in the lounge with my Mum on a lovely summer day when she told me she thought her beloved dead Gran was in the room with us.... In fact, she could even hear her breathing. I sat quietly, and sure enough i could hear this weak raspy noise. As a young teen at the time this freaked me out. The temperature dropped and the hairs on my arms went up.

I went to the lounge window to get into the warmth of the sun....

and this is where I found the "ghost of my Gran"..... 2 flies, sprayed with fly spray on their backs, doing their last feeble little buzz buzz, buzz buzz breaths! Scared the crap outta me at first! :D
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Welcome Mrs Hedgehog- as you show, sometimes these things can be explained and sometimes they can't :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a bit of an interesting one over Christmas...
    I was at a function for a friend of mine, only knew a couple of people there and was planning to stay about an hour then shoot off. Stood talking and a lady came over and said, "excuse me, I just thought I would let you know that there is a lady standing next to you, and she is with you most of the time. She said to let you know her name is Ellen". Well, as you can imagine I thought this lady was a complete nutcase, and was pretty freaked out.I'd never seen or met her before, and I didn't know of anyone called Ellen and told her so. She just said can you ask your family they will know, and wandered off back to her friends. I made my excuses and left, when I got home the first thing I did was ring my mum. "Do you know anyone called Ellen Mum?" "No sorry love, why?" so I told her. "Oh god, my grandma (her mum's mum) was called Ellen". Since she told me that I've noticed little things which make me think she IS with me most of the time. Even if she WAS a loony, Ellen is a pretty uncommon name. Just don't know what to make of it!
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Our furby used to spring to life at 3 in the morning scaring the crap out me, it got binned soon after
    I remember hearing the constant sound of a Furby in my bedroom back when I was 10 years old, and the funny thing was that there were no Furby toys at all at our house and there still isn't now! :eek:
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    angelfizz wrote: »
    Had a bit of an interesting one over Christmas...
    I was at a function for a friend of mine, only knew a couple of people there and was planning to stay about an hour then shoot off. Stood talking and a lady came over and said, "excuse me, I just thought I would let you know that there is a lady standing next to you, and she is with you most of the time. She said to let you know her name is Ellen". Well, as you can imagine I thought this lady was a complete nutcase, and was pretty freaked out.I'd never seen or met her before, and I didn't know of anyone called Ellen and told her so. She just said can you ask your family they will know, and wandered off back to her friends. I made my excuses and left, when I got home the first thing I did was ring my mum. "Do you know anyone called Ellen Mum?" "No sorry love, why?" so I told her. "Oh god, my grandma (her mum's mum) was called Ellen". Since she told me that I've noticed little things which make me think she IS with me most of the time. Even if she WAS a loony, Ellen is a pretty uncommon name. Just don't know what to make of it!

Wow that's an interesting one, thanks for sharing.

I know there's a lot of skepticism around "mediums" and the like, but if that woman knew nothing about you and was able to (perhaps) name check your great grandmother... well, I'm open minded that some people have genuine ability.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that's an interesting one, thanks for sharing.

I know there's a lot of skepticism around "mediums" and the like, but if that woman knew nothing about you and was able to (perhaps) name check your great grandmother... well, I'm open minded that some people have genuine ability.

Never met her, didn't know her she was a friend of a friend so that's what spooked me most. I didn't know my great grandmas name, they always called her Nellie so I thought that's what her real name was!!! Like I say, I just don't know what to make of it. Definitely a strange one ;-)
  • SweetcazSweetcaz Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a fascinating place, polli.

I have to admit I wasn't aware the UK still had an active community of monks
    There are quite a few active monasterys in the UK.21st Century Boy.:)
    Also Dolls.As a catholic I found that years ago it was frowned upon to talk of the dead. But now it is different. The church can't really dismiss 'Spirits' when they have one as part of the Trinity.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Sweetcaz wrote: »
    There are quite a few active monasterys in the UK.21st Century Boy.:)
    Also Dolls.As a catholic I found that years ago it was frowned upon to talk of the dead. But now it is different. The church can't really dismiss 'Spirits' when they have one as part of the Trinity.

and also they have/had exorcists,

http://blosslynspage.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/the-exorcists-house-kings-lynn/

this little house fascinates me.
  • SweetcazSweetcaz Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    and also they have/had exorcists,

http://blosslynspage.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/the-exorcists-house-kings-lynn/

this little house fascinates me.
    Moonlily! The picture of it creeps me out!
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    I had a couple of things happen to me in my parents old house.

First thing that happened that I remember quite clearly was coming home from school and lying on my bed, I wasn't asleep but was just resting before dinner. All of a sudden I felt like someone was lying on top of me and I could feel breathing (not actual breath but their body moving), I got up ask it was a bit strange, and all was fine, lay back down again and it happened to me again. Got up again and after that it never happened.

Second was I was in the house by myself, no-one else was there, no pets etc and I heard a crash upstairs, ran upstairs to see what it was and it was the mirror in one of the bedrooms that had come off the wall. Not fallen off the wall in the traditional sense because both the hook bits were still on the back of the mirror and on the wall (it would have had to be lifted off), it was also laid at an angle on the bed which was very strange - if it had just fallen off the wall it would have it a bed post.

Third - my mum used to have plates on the wall in those plate holder things, one came off the wall - plate holder still on the wall in tack with no defects - plate lay on the sofa (no-one had touched it).

Fourth - things in the bathroom used to end up on the other side of the room (little ornament things) + I think it was a worm hole, I lost my retainer in there - I knocked it off the sink and knew I'd knocked it off so looked for it on the floor - absolutely nowhere to be seen, I looked and looked and looked and it was gone. I have zero idea where it could have gone.

After all these things started happening my dad told us that when my parents were looking round the house the little girl that lived in the house asked her mum whether she'd told the man about the ghost. My dad didn't tell my mum about this before buying (I don't think she would have otherwise!).

If it was a ghost or poltergeist it wasn't a mean one! lol
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Nothing myself but I've heard plenty from others.

This is one of my favourites

http://comeheretome.com/2012/07/20/the-ghost-room-in-maynooth/

Also,when a new bridge was being built near me about 15 years ago there was some occurrences as it must have interfered with an old burial site or something. Have also heard of someone seeing men with cloaks running around a bonfire, something that the old pagans would probably have done.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Bump in the night!
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can always tell if a death is going to happen within the family, relatives as the cat goes into staring mode and starts acting up chasing something around the room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my first flat my lamps would turn on during the night which didn't bother me. It's when the digital alarm clock would blast out kiss fm at half 10 at night. I would go into the bedroom to turn it off and my dog would start growling at the corner when nothing is there. Wasn't the alarm as that was always in buzzer mode. Always felt uncomfortable in that flat, I couldn't have doors open as felt like someone was watching me from the hallway.
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can always tell if a death is going to happen within the family, relatives as the cat goes into staring mode and starts acting up chasing something around the room.

Cats are notoriously intuitive. In our first rental home together my OH's cat had an imaginary friend she'd play with in the kitchen endlessly.Freaked my down to earth OH out, but I found it hilarious. The cat did that circling your legs and rubbing thing they do for attention, but to thin air. And she'd bat at unseen toys and play hide and seek .Only in the kitchen, nowhere else.Fascinating to watch .Cats are weird like that.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    creepiest thing that has a happened to me was when my eldest son was around 6 or 7ish

(quick bit of back ground my boy had a stroke when he was born and "died" 5 times ) thankfully the doctors managed to get him back to us although he has cerebral palsy

anyway back to the creepiness he used to wake up during the night and sleep walk which was freaky in itself but he would walk around a bit and go back to bed

One night he woke up and was screaming blue murder I don't mean crying I mean screaming

HELP
    GET AWAY
    LEAVE ME ALONE

anyway me and the (ex)wife shot upstairs like rockets I've crashed into the bedroom like Rambo and there's my boy sitting up in bed eyes fixed on the corner or the bedroom

I said what's up mate ,,he said there is a an old lady in the corner her face is all green and black (he would not take his eyes off ther corner)

I gave him a hug (with my back to the corner of the room) and he freaked out again
    DADDY SHE IS COMING UP BEHIND YOU

(me trying not too act scared crapless) was saying its ok don't worry etc)

will admit I was freaked the hell out never happened again took me ages to convince myself it was a sleep "nightmare" EG he was still asleep .....but there's always that what if he wasn't
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    creepiest thing that has a happened to me was when my eldest son was around 6 or 7ish

(quick bit of back ground my boy had a stroke when he was born and "died" 5 times ) thankfully the doctors managed to get him back to us although he has cerebral palsy

anyway back to the creepiness he used to wake up during the night and sleep walk which was freaky in itself but he would walk around a bit and go back to bed

One night he woke up and was screaming blue murder I don't mean crying I mean screaming

HELP
    GET AWAY
    LEAVE ME ALONE

anyway me and the (ex)wife shot upstairs like rockets I've crashed into the bedroom like Rambo and there's my boy sitting up in bed eyes fixed on the corner or the bedroom

I said what's up mate ,,he said there is a an old lady in the corner her face is all green and black (he would not take his eyes off ther corner)

I gave him a hug (with my back to the corner of the room) and he freaked out again
    DADDY SHE IS COMING UP BEHIND YOU

(me trying not too act scared crapless) was saying its ok don't worry etc)

will admit I was freaked the hell out never happened again took me ages to convince myself it was a sleep "nightmare" EG he was still asleep .....but there's always that what if he wasn't

My son got this too, It is called night terrors, They are basically asleep, My son would be literally petrified and no amount of calming would help until he came to his senses and awoke a little more.

Yes scary when you're not used to seeing that.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    My son got this too, It is called night terrors, They are basically asleep, My son would be literally petrified and no amount of calming would help until he came to his senses and awoke a little more.

Yes scary when you're not used to seeing that.

that's what I thought it was but at the time it was freaky

and since that night he never did again (the sleep walking continued for a while)
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live on an old German army base (right where Jewish people were transported in trains to Bergen Belsen Concentration Camp - in fact, the roads around the camp were still cobbled, we were always told that they did intend to lift the cobbles but when they saw what was underneath they decided against doing so) & we had a few issues in our flat.

My son who was around 2 at the time had a lot of electronic toys & these used to go off when nobody was in his room. His bedroom was always cold in one corner too. Every time I had a bath I felt like I was being watched & I'd wake during the night feeling like someone was watching me.

One day we had a block bbq and when my son needed his afternoon nap we put him to bed & used the baby monitor to listen for him. Time went on & he woke up & started crying. I carried on listening as often he would wake, cry 3-4 times & then go back to sleep. On this occasion all of us heard a voice saying 'shhh shhh shhh' & he went back to sleep. That is what I used to do when he woke in the night, go in, rub his back gently & make shhh'ing noises. My husband & several of the other fathers raced into our flat fully expecting someone was in my son's bedroom, but they weren't.

Friends would come over during the day & the kettle would flip on by itself. One day when this happened I said out loud 'we don't want coffee thanks' & the kettle went off. We would sit there & listen to his toys going on & off. My son would be at Kindergarten when this was happening.

Occasionally we would wake in the night to hear our son crying & screaming, run into his bedroom & he would be beating the wall in the corner of his room.

Things kind of escalated & finally came to a head when my son refused to go into his bedroom at all & would just stand at the doorway & point to the things he wanted from the room to play with.

I eventually spoke to some people who'd lived in the flats connected to our block longer than we had, & asked if any of the previous people who'd lived there had ever mentioned odd things happening. I was told yes, that there had always been weird things happen in that flat. It turned out that (according to the neighbours)the flat was haunted by the ghost of a young german boy who'd died in it during WWII. The reason my son was so scared was that he couldn't understand the child who seemingly just wanted to play.

We asked the Padre to go into my son's room & do something, which he did. He was in there for about 45 minutes with the door shut. When he came out I asked him if he'd felt there was anything there & he said 'you won't have any further problems'...which we didn't.

Absolutely a 100% true story that probably does have a rational explanation, but that truly terrified my son at the time. (we never felt anything malevolent)
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this fits into the theme of this thread (last time I posted here was over a year ago, about some potential robbers outside my window discussing getting into my house) buuut anyway: I've been experiencing recurring nightmares over the past few weeks. They've all involved a pair of grossly pale hands that don't seem to be attached to anything other than a pair of very long arms. The hands suddenly grab me and drag me away to my doom.

The things I've noticed about the dreams are that I'm always in a real life location that I've been in the past, I'm always alone, the places are always deserted and I'm usually walking about aimlessly. The hands always pull me into the dark, i.e a darkened room or into an unlit area and I immediately wake up awash with panic.

The first one was a day or two after Christmas. I dreamt that I was in the house of a childhood friend who I haven't seen for about 10 years. I was upstairs in his house and I was just walking around with no purpose, checking in rooms and looking about myself when all of a sudden the hands grabbed me by the legs and dragged me screaming down the stairs and into the darkened hallway on the ground floor.

The next one I was in my own house. I was in my old living room, before we redecorated last year. I remember that the place was a mess as though people had been round and we'd had a party. I made my way towards the kitchen but before I could reach in and switch the light on, the hands reach out, grab my upper arms and pull me in.

Third one. I was in the hotel I stayed at while visiting London a few years ago. I was lost on my floor and seemingly going in circles. I couldn't find a lift. I was becoming distressed because I was worried that people would be wondering where I was. I remember passing by the open door of one of the rooms, darkened inside, and I was very apprehensive to pass by it. I turned and started to rush away but the hands were round my feet again and they dragged me into the room. The whole time I was begging to be let go.

Latest one was last night. I was in my bosses house which I've been in once or twice before heading to a night out. I'm putting away boxes of decorations in ridiculous fashion by literally throwing them up into the loft door. And yep, the hands reach out of the loft, grab my shoulders and I go flying up into the dark. Last night was particularly bad.

These seem kinda silly and not at all frightening written down but they're actually pretty unsettling. I can't recall ever having a scary dream so bad that it has woken me up in proper movie style gasping and panic. And now I've had 4 in the space of a fortnight. I think about them during the day and they make me slightly weary about going to sleep. I'm worried that, if they continue, I will eventually find out who/what these hands belong to :o

I read on Wiki that only 1% of adults report experiencing recurring nightmares and that they're often caused by stress, anxiety or come as part of side effects from certain medication. However I can't really say any of that applies to me. I guess I'm just... weird???