Options

Am I selfish?

Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
I went into a decent, 3 star type hotel/restaurant for lunch today.

I was on my own. Unfortunately, all three sets of two seats were taken- but there were plenty of four seat tables available.

It was only 12 noon. I've been here before, and it's never been full by 1pm before- so taking a table for 4 ought not to be a problem.

But, unfortunately by 12.30 it was getting full. So a mum, dad, and 5 year old girl decided to join me.

Now we are not talking McDonalds, or Kentucky Fried Chicken here- we're talking what should be a quiet place to have a proper (not fast food) meal. I'd already ordered my roast beef and yorkshire pudding, and all the trimmings- but I really wasn't banking on a family of three bickering all the way through it. Now I would never seat myself at someone's table. I would just think 'There's more than one place to eat in town' and go elsewhere. I don't mind any number of people at other tables- but strangers (bickering ones at that) ruined my meal.

So- am I selfish wanting a table to myself?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went into a decent, 3 star type hotel/restaurant for lunch today.

I was on my own. Unfortunately, all three sets of two seats were taken- but there were plenty of four seat tables available.

It was only 12 noon. I've been here before, and it's never been full by 1pm before- so taking a table for 4 ought not to be a problem.

But, unfortunately by 12.30 it was getting full. So a mum, dad, and 5 year old girl decided to join me.

Now we are not talking McDonalds, or Kentucky Fried Chicken here- we're talking what should be a quiet place to have a proper (not fast food) meal. I'd already ordered my roast beef and yorkshire pudding, and all the trimmings- but I really wasn't banking on a family of three bickering all the way through it. Now I would never seat myself at someone's table. I would just think 'There's more than one place to eat in town' and go elsewhere. I don't mind any number of people at other tables- but strangers (bickering ones at that) ruined my meal.

Absolutely not. Did they ask?

If all the other tables were taken and there genuinely weren't any 2-seater tables available, then what choice did you have? Also where you seated or did you choose the table yourself?
    Either way it sounds like you had no choice. Were there other tables free?

I had that a few years ago, and then the woman had the cheek to ask me could I leave so that her friend could join her? I told her "no", but the look on my face told her to fook right off.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Yes. But then you know this.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I would be a bit miffed too. Did they just plonk themselves down without asking? I always wait for the staff to point me to a table.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Sadly and totally wrongly, single people are never catered for and we bloody well should be.

Book a holiday and you are charged extra for a single room.

Just why should we be looked down on like there is something wrong with us and why in your case should you be forced to share with people you don't know and be shamed into doing it?

It's their fault and problem not yours to have to adjust for their failing.
  • Options
    HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's selfish.

I would feel very uncomfortable had that happened to me even if it was in a fast food restaurant.

Did they check if it was okay to sit with you?
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member

Ah a pointless post and run post.

Explain your reasons or be ignored.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Unless you have booked a table, then people can sit there. You have paid for the food not a private table. If there were 3 single people and each one took a table that seats 4, that business is losing places for 9 paying people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly and totally wrongly, single people are never catered for and we bloody well should be.

Just why should we be looked down on like there is something wrong with us and why in your case should you be forced to share with people you don't know and be shamed into doing it?

Families like those seem to think that they're entitled to encroach on others' tables too. You're totally entitled to your own space, especially if you're on a work lunch (anytime really).

One of my pleasures is to eat alone when I'm out on a shopping trip in town. Totally ruined if a pack of other plebs park themselves down alongside me and I'm subject to not only their inane conversation but also their disgusting eating habits (and farting, in one case when I was at the airport not so long ago).

I fooking hate the general public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I would be a bit miffed too. Did they just plonk themselves down without asking? I always wait for the staff to point me to a table.

It's a decent pub/hotel/restuarant establishment.

No waitresses to greet you and tell you where to sit.

The family didn't ask if they cold join me.

It as 'Is anyone sitting here'

I thought about inventing 3 fictitious friends!

By the way- I'm never selfish on trains. I can't stand it when one or two people try to keep a block of 4 seats to themselves. I always make sure any bags are overhead, or under my seat, or on my lap. But the number of times on a train you have to stare at someone and they still won't move their bags!!!

No, a meal is different. You want a quiet meal without having to listen to a load of petty arguments.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    It's a decent pub/hotel/restuarant establishment.

No waitresses to greet you and tell you where to sit.

The family didn't ask if they cold join me.

It as 'Is anyone sitting here'

I thought about inventing 3 fictitious friends!

By the way- I'm never selfish on trains. I can't stand it when one or two people try to keep a block of 4 seats to themselves. I always make sure any bags are overhead, or under my seat, or on my lap. But the number of times on a train you have to stare at someone and they still won't move their bags!!!

No, a meal is different. You want a quiet meal without having to listen to a load of petty arguments.

I agree with you. How incredibly rude to just sit down without asking you first.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all, I saw this happen to a guy at the next table in a small deli style cafe once, the poor guy had no choice but to sit there as everywhere else was taken. He ordered a drink and his food then left the drink on the table to go get a paper, and while he was gone, an older couple and their 20 something daughter arrived. They were obviously regulars and usually occupied this table, and despite us telling them it was taken they sat down anyway! To make it worse the poor guy came back to find the regulars holding court with the owner and had to eat his meal and read his paper squished up in the corner. I felt so uncomfortable for him.

If it was me who was coming in and there were no available tables, I'd wait or leave, I certainly wouldn't impose myself upon someone sitting alone, or judge them for taking up a big table as for all I know they may have been asked to sit there by the staff.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Families like those seem to think that they're entitled to encroach on others' tables too. You're totally entitled to your own space, especially if you're on a work lunch (anytime really).

One of my pleasures is to eat alone when I'm out on a shopping trip in town. Totally ruined if a pack of other plebs park themselves down alongside me and I'm subject to not only their inane conversation but also their disgusting eating habits (and farting, in one case when I was at the airport not so long ago).

From your past posts I'd always judged you as an okay person Miss PG, but after reading this one I have elevated you to Super Okay Person.
    I'd be honoured to share your table, (after I'd asked you, and provided that you'd agreed.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From your past posts I'd always judged you as an okay person Miss PG, but after reading this one I have elevated you to Super Okay Person.
    I'd be honoured to share your table, (after I'd asked you, and provided that you'd agreed.)

Ha, is that because of my expressed hatred of Ver General Public?

Thank you, and take the seat, well, as long as you're hot. Strangely enough, if a convention of Michael Fassbender & Paddy Considine lookalikes rudely decided to hijack my table, I really wouldn't object ;)

If they ate with their mouths open though, that's another matter....
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Id have found it difficult! I went out for a meal to a pub and there were six of us booked in. We found a table and ordered our drinks and our meals and then a lady (dont know who she was) walked in and sat with us! I thought she was going to sit there while we all ate our meal but luckily they moved us (without us asking) to a larger table.

That thought was bad enough let alone having to eat the whole meal with an uninvited stranger! I find it bad enough in an empty restaurant when they seat everyone close together instead of making the most of the space. Last time we went to nandos there was only one other table in and they seated us next to them so we had to endure the group of giggly preteens messing about throughout the whole meal when there were other tables free.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did up you actually express your desire to eat alone or did up you just keep quiet and allowed the family do as they pleased unchallenged?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't eat there again.
  • Options
    Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would have been really annoyed! Especially if they bickered all the time

You're charged more because it is more expensive per head to have a single room than a double...

It's like when people complain about holidays being more expensive in school holiday time than term time. .. supply and demand
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Admit it, it was you really wasn't it ;-)

And by the way OP, you weren't being selfish. I'd have been annoyed too.
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. But then you know this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Did up you actually express your desire to eat alone or did up you just keep quiet and allowed the family do as they pleased unchallenged?

The father said 'Are these seats taken?' whilst preparing to sit down anyway- which basically meant he was having them anyway.

A disapproving look which meant his families company was not welcome didn't work.

Under those circumstances you eat as quickly as possible.

As I left he put all the shopping on the chair I had just vacated- presumably do deter any single people from taking the seat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Admit it, it was you really wasn't it ;-)

And by the way OP, you weren't being selfish. I'd have been annoyed too.

Now now, those Toby Carvery Brussels sprouts have side-effects on us ALL! :blush:
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't think you're selfish at all OP.

I would be very uncomfortable sitting at a table eating a proper "knife and fork" dinner with a family of three strangers at the same table. It wouldn't be so bad if it were one person or if there were two of you and two of them, but what you describe would feel like being a stranger in your own space.

I wouldn't have a problem if it were a fast food place where I could read a book or the paper. And I am quite happy if somebody comes and sits in the seat opposite me in Nero or Costa, for instance, but what you describe is just rude.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends on the circumstances, if there was nowhere else to sit, then yes I'd think you were perhaps a little selfish to prevent another family from being able to enjoy a meal, unless there was a short waiting list, in which case they should have just waited.
    However, if there were other tables available and they chose yours, then no, it's not selfish to want to eat alone.
    I also think it depends on the type of place you're eating. In noodle bars and the exceptionally hilarious (with brilliant food) Wong Kei's in Chinatown, you get shoved on huge 12 seater banquet tables with loads of people you don't know.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nightmare meal to me op!.... i would have hated it too!.... I would have taken it a bit further than you though!.. i would have said 'Excuse me but i didn't come in for a meal today and expect to sit so close to 3 people argueing continuously and ruining my meal!, 'please keep quiet' i didn't ask you to join me at this table!' 'and i certainly dont want to sit here and listen to it!..'

I would have also made my displeasure known at the till!..... You should have at the very least had a free meal!....;-)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so. You'd be selfish if you refused point blank but they should have had some consideration for you. I've had that happen to me once or twice and luckily ended up with a pleasant and entertaining companion.