Retweet requests why?

egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The celeb phenomenon that is "can I have RT?"

I can sort of understand if it s to promote an event but "My Gran's in hospital a retweet would make my day" its pointless,what thrill do peopel get out of oem celeb pressing an icon to forward their message?

"its my birthday today can I have a retweet"

I feel sorry for Kym Marsh really having lost a baby her RT requests often involve this topic.

Also fans who push their children and babies towards celebs and take a photo? Whyyyy?

Comments

• fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    They get more followers if a zeleb retweets them, making them look more popular as well as being able to trot out the anecdote to friends to make themselves look cool. Twitter is so genius, it perfectly exploits the vagrancies of the human race for profit.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Twitter is so genius, it perfectly exploits the vagrancies of the human race for profit.
    You could have been writing about Politics. Or religion. Well quite a few other things really. Still, pretty quote.
    :kitty:
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that retweet has something to do with the twitter?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's a retweet? And I'm making no assumptions....
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attention?
    Gain followers?
    Hoping to be a Special Flake for one day?
    An acknowledgement from a celebrity might make them feel they're not wasting their time and attention on said celebrity? a.k.a. "I got you to where you are now, and I can drag you back down if you ignored me"
    A little taste of their favourite celebrity's world?

Seriously though, it's horrible to see some making threats - ranging from suicide to killing their pets - if their favourite celebrities don't retweet or follow them back. It's those people that need to get a grip.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    What's a retweet? And I'm making no assumptions....

When a follower makes a comment/tweet in their tweet stream that you like, there's a function that allows you to replica/retweet that comment in your own tweet stream where your followers read your comments/tweets, retweets and photos.

The interconnectivity of Twitter that allows its users to share each other's tweets and photos when not making their own tweets or replying to their followers' tweets.

It sounds complicated, but it's actually quite simple. Simple enough for one to pick it up within an hour.

Edited:
    The Beginner's Guide to Twitter (Mashable).
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    ...................It sounds complicated,................

Thanks, and it does indeed sound complicated. All I can do is echo the OP and ask, why do people do it?
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Can I have a retweet" = unashamed attention/popularity whoring.

Twitter is excellent for following businesses, clubs, places of interest and for getting on-the-fly transport and weather updates.

But the celebrity stuff is as appealling to me as cold vomit.