Richie Benaud Dies Aged 84

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Cricketer and commentator Richie Benaud has died in a Sydney hospice, aged 84, according to Australian media reports.

Benaud, widely regarded as one of the most influential people in the game's history, had been receiving radiation treatment for skin cancer since November.

He played 64 test matches as an all-rounder between 1952 and 1964 and took a spot commentating with the BBC while still captaining Australia in 1960.

http://news.sky.com/story/1461998/cricket-star-richie-benaud-dies-aged-84

Oh how sad :(:(

Comments

• Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cricket has lost its Voice.

RIP Richie. :(
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    In Richies own style, 16 short of his Century. RIP :(
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's had a good innings :blush:
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    He's had a good innings :blush:

Yes he did, if i somehow live to be 84(Though his Mother lived to be 104, shame Richie couldn't of got near that age) i would be very happy, a true Cricket and Sporting legend. I never saw him play as i'm too young but he was a wonderful commentator and he will be sadly missed. RIP.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Richie.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like to do overdo hyperbole if I can avoid it, but I don't think in all the sports across the globe there were many commentators as good as him, if any tbh. I really mean that, he was as popular as a commentator as there was for any sport I can think of.

It was a pleasure hearing him, one of the finest. RIP.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :(

Quite an individual and not a typical Australian in my view. Maybe thats why the BBC employed him soon after he retired from the sport.

RIP Richie Benaud
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Farewell Richie.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    So saddened to hear of the passing of the great man and cricketing legend.

As good behind the mic as he was on the field, loved his delivery of both, not that I remember his on field greatness.

Thank you Mr Benaud, and thank you Australia, for giving us such wonderful memories, and an unbiased, authorative voice we all loved to hear.

Condolences to his family, RIP Richie. :(
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Richies own style, 16 short of his Century. RIP :(

He once commented.." Glenn McGrath is out for 2, only 98 short of his century."

Great cricketer. great captain. great commentator, great wit and a great man.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear of his passing, he was able to describe with so few words everything that you needed to know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Very good player who retired at 30 or so to concentrate on a journalistic career, and a great commentator. He will be missed
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news to wake up to

One of the few who transended the sphere that they worked in

He will be missed
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought he would be there forever. Loved his commentaries alongside Jim Laker.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Marvellous effort that"
  • Bandit06Bandit06 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Mourning everyone 😞
    The word legend is bandied about a bit too much, but Richie Benaud certainly was.
    Australian captain that went on to to be legend of the commentary box worldwide, none more so than in th UK on BBC TV. Witty, insightful and only said something when in needed saying, something other commentators could learn!
    Cricket has lost its voice & I'm sure all cricket fans will be truly upset by his passing. But what a marvellous effort that!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news, he was one of the all time great commentators. RIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    When someone hit a long hop straight to a fielder , who then misfielded it , he would sum it up in two words " Bad Cricket"
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easily my favourite ever sports commentator. He showed that its the quality of words you use not the quantity that matters.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    What a man. Sad news to wake to to. Here's hoping he and Jonners have met up in the great commentary box in the sky 😇.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So long Richie - someone who who enriched and informed countless hours of my life with his wonderful commentaries and knowledge.

For me, he will embody my time growing up, when cricket was free to watch on telly and cricket really was a genuine national sport that held widespread interest with the public unlike today where it is becoming more niche with every passing year.

Watching clips of him commentating on Botham's Ashes make me sad in more than one way.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    He once commented.." Glenn McGrath is out for 2, only 98 short of his century."

Great cricketer. great captain. great commentator, great wit and a great man.

Yep & what my post was on about, always remember his puppet on Spitting Image asking the England Captain "why are England so shit":D

Not just a great Cricketer & Commentator, but loved the game being played hard but fair, his reaction to the Underarm incident slating the Australian Captain Greg Chappell shows that, & this from an Australian Commentator.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Richie Benaud, condolences to all family and friends. :(

I grew up listening to his commentary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    RIP Richie, would do a sad face but dont know how to.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,978
    Forum Member
    A true legend and such a wonderful commentator.

RIP.