Has anybody got an IDrive account?

I'm thinking about signing up to iDrive's storage site, however am concerned with regards to the security of the files and reliability of the site. I'd be uploading my music library and probably a backup of my entire laptop.

Does anybody currently use this site (the paid version) and would you recommend it? How long have you used it for and have you had any problems, especially with regards to security/reliability?

Thanks for any replies :)

(Here's the site)

Comments

• jkainjkain Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given how cheap external hard drives are (500GB for around £50), it's not really economical to pay a subscription fee for storage. If you need to access your backup from different locations then maybe it will suit you but otherwise can't see the point myself. Also if you're concerned about security that's another reason to keep your backup where you know it's safe.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want cloud-based storage as your off-site backup solution then I recommend carbonite. It is software that automatically keeps a copy of your hard drive backed up and is reputable.

If you want internet based file access and sharing I would recommend looking at Windows Live Skydrive or Diino.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    The problem with SkyDrive is files cannot be bigger than 30MB I believe, and you are limited to 5GB online storage.

Still, you get what you pay for I guess :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I use Mozy. It just sits in the background and backs up the files I ask automatically. If it detects any changes then to the files (eg. I use it for photos, so any new ones added) then it backs them up.

It costs about £3 a month for unlimited space.

http://mozy.com/
  • djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be a bit wary of these websites!

I had signed upto Streamload (www.streamload.com) where you could have a free account which allowed you to store unlimted files of music, video, anything but only download summat like 50MB a week.

You could send any of these uploaded items to anyone else that had an account (free or not) and build up quite a collection of media!

I think the paid for account was only $2 a month or something ridiculously cheap which entitled you to unlimited download bandwidth and file hosting etc.

It was a REALLY good service, great download speeds, massive library I built up and so easy to use.

For some reason (maybe copyright issues) the website vanished and shut up. Without giving any of its users the chance to download files that they may have acquired from other people but hadnt felt the need to download at the time.

It was a quite a shock when Streamload closed. The concept was brilliant, price was good and speeds great. A shame it went - but these storage websites can just disappear so dont use them as 100% guaranteed backup!