What jobs would you like to do for a living?

Comments

• LickersLickers Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nursery teacher!! :D
  • LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    Tekkytyke wrote: »
    If i HAD a choice, probably nursery school teacher.
    How many men do you think do that for a living though?

I have a cousin who's a male nursery school teacher. I'm not saying its common or anything, but it happens.

As for me, a film director. Or alternatively, I'd love someone to pay me to select books to be turned into films. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've (almost) always wanted to be an air traffic controller or an actuary. I think both professions would be a good match for my skills but they are both very competitive fields to get into so I don't particularly fancy my chances.

I will try though if I graduate from university with a first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio DJ or a photographer ,Or famous .Or all three lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Finky wrote: »
    I'm studying to be a forensic psychologist, but I'd love to be a policewoman too - though the amount of people trying to put me off that has been spectacular! (Apparently I'm too short, for starters...)

I'd also love to be a novelist, photographer, clinical psychologist, or anything that involves travelling.

Or a presenter on Top Gear! :D

Just out of interest how tall are you?!? I'm about to join the police I'm quite small (5'4), and I've also had loads of people I wouldn't say putting me off but saying they don't think it's 'me', I've always fancied the forensic route as well:)
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this today. I always thought I wanted to be a graphic designer, but after doing two years of it at college I realised it wasn't for me. I really have no idea what I want to do, I love my job at the moment but I dont wanna be stacking shelves all my life! I seriously have no idea what I want to do, is that a bad thing?
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Countryfile presenter/researcher, writer, photographer/photo editor, or (if I was good enough) professional musician.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to run my own coffee and cake shop :).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only two career options I've ever had in mind are nursery or infant school teaching, or an author of teenage books.

When I leave school, I want to focus on becoming a teacher, then write a book and have it published. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this today. I always thought I wanted to be a graphic designer, but after doing two years of it at college I realised it wasn't for me. I really have no idea what I want to do, I love my job at the moment but I dont wanna be stacking shelves all my life! I seriously have no idea what I want to do, is that a bad thing?

I wouldn't worry about it - lots of people have no clear direction for their lives...have a dabble at various careers and see what suits.

We are lucky now we can retrain/go back to college at anytime.....I've gained all sorts of qualifications over the years only to find the job itself wasn't for me.

Just make sure that when you do realise that path isn't for you, that you do something towards trying something else....otherwise you will end up stuck in a rut doing a job you hate.

Looks like I'm off to take some Art courses as my next venture/dabble. :)
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Police Officer, preferably a detective. I'm good with observations, piecing little bits of information together, knowing when something isn't what it appears. Plus I've got some other good qualities but I won't bore you all with them. I'm to old now, so I'll have to carry on with what I am doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prakb wrote: »
    i thought it would be great to be pilot but then long haul flights must be boring doing all those hours lying straight and level.

There are more positives than negatives, If it's a long haul flight I.E. London- Singapore then you have a relief crew onboard, so you can get some down time in the crew bunks (and still get paid for it :) ), so your not at the controls all the time. Plus your just not sitting there twiddling the thumbs clockwatching, there are still things that need to be checked and paperwork to be completed.

And lets not forget, you do get to stay in some mighty fine 5* hotels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm.... or I would like to be an International Business Traveller ! Having flown business to the States recently, I could get used to that sort of treatment.
  • laura_saulafanlaura_saulafan Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A journalist
    A politician
    or if I, by a miracle, grow about 5 inches then a model :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TitchyN wrote: »
    Just out of interest how tall are you?!? I'm about to join the police I'm quite small (5'4), and I've also had loads of people I wouldn't say putting me off but saying they don't think it's 'me', I've always fancied the forensic route as well:)

I'm a wee 5' 2" and I'm not exactly imposing! Yeah I've had people saying I wouldn't have the mental strength to cope, but I know me best and I know that I could. Maybe I will, maybe I won't...
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have loved to work in special effects make-up. But back in the 80s there was nothing around and careers officers always went on about office work. Now it's too late:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I would like to be a Teacher, Actor, Artist, Author and dancer.
    Forum Member
    Finky wrote: »
    I'm a wee 5' 2" and I'm not exactly imposing! Yeah I've had people saying I wouldn't have the mental strength to cope, but I know me best and I know that I could. Maybe I will, maybe I won't...

Well I don't know where you live but for the Met police they don't have height restrictions any more, as long as you can pass the physical test! I've been tolld by some experienced coppers that the big 'typical' police officers (often blokes) will have people try and fight with them and square up to them, whereas someone our sort of size will often be listened to more, so we have the advantage being small!! If you even think about it go for it!!:)
  • mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    I would love to of been an Airline Pilot or a football.

I would love to settle for a Police Officer though! Better than what i am doing now!!

Oh, and there was no mention of a height restriction when i sent my application form off to West Midlands Police. I think that ruling was abolished some time ago!
    Forum Member
    Good luck with your application mattwoodfield :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have liked to worked for the Royal family.......all the scandal!
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I an ideal world I'd like to be an Artist/Painter........something I never realised until just this minute! :eek:

Not sure what the heck I do now though with that little bit of self-knowledge! :confused::D
    I'm doing the job I always wanted to do and I AM an artist/painter.

I sell my paintings, take commissions for portraits, design greetings cards and put my work in exhibitions.
    All that is a bit hit and miss as far as earning money goes but I make a very nice regular living from holding art classes for adults, tutoring painting holidays and doing demos for art clubs.

If you want any advice on what to do with your self-knowledge just PM me. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You aren't alone, I'm finding it a nightmare to make up my mind about what career I want. When I left school I did a general construction course at my college and it turned out that I simply wasn't cut-out for manual labour, so the following year I fancied doing something completely different and ended up choosing an IT course. I'm now in my second and final year of that course and it would be a lie to say I'm enjoying it.

I don't want to spend any more time in college because quite frankly I'm sick of education. I just want to start earning my way, but there doesn't seem to be any decent career opportunities out there which appeal to me. :(
  • mattwoodfieldmattwoodfield Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member
    TitchyN wrote: »
    Good luck with your application mattwoodfield :)

Cheers :) Got my assessment centre on 5ht March, so im going to need all the luck i can get!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Genealogist/heir hunter