Options

Ripper Street

Comments

• Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, because they are real people :rolleyes:

Oh my God! No way! Really? Thanks for letting us know!

I think the writers would be happy that people engage emotionally with the characters.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much enjoyed this series. The Wild Westness seems strangely appropriate. Sorry that Reid gave in to temptation, though.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    clara28 wrote: »
    Oh my God! No way! Really? Thanks for letting us know!

I think the writers would be happy that people engage emotionally with the characters.

:rolleyes:

I know, and there's me thinking it was a fly on the wall documentary series :eek:
  • Options
    ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think the Long Susan character should be ditched before series 2. Stupid character. She's essentially a nod to the feminist movement and is completely anachronistic.

The actress that plays her irritates me too.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think the Long Susan character should be ditched before series 2. Stupid character. She's essentially a nod to the feminist movement and is completely anachronistic.

The actress that plays her irritates me too.

I suggest you read up on Victorian madams, you would find her less "anachronistic" and quite true to life.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best drama series for a long time. I'm really going to miss it and am glad it's been recommissioned.

Anachronism of the week - druggist.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Much enjoyed this series. The Wild Westness seems strangely appropriate. Sorry that Reid gave in to temptation, though.

It does, doesn't it? It doesn't seem out of place. I loved the theme tune. I remember reading The Suspicions of Mr Whicher and the fledgling professional detective/detective inspector. The Wild Westness is a great motif for the kind of lawlessness likes of Mr Reid had to come to grips with.

Loved the whole series, though I was quite slow in coming round to it.
  • Options
    PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed thie series. So sad it wasn't Reid's daughter but sort of guessed that it would be too obvious.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really loved Rose as a character. Yes, she was a bit of a material girl, but life probably made her that way, and she was still pretty good-hearted even so. I'd love it if she was in the second series.

Scalping Victor's corpse, putting his scalp on a child murderer and beating him up to make his sister think he was still alive is unorthodox even for Reid, Drake and Jackson!
  • Options
    Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=DavetheScot;64452557
    Scalping Victor's corpse, putting his scalp on a child murderer and beating him up to make his sister think he was still alive is unorthodox even for Reid, Drake and Jackson![/QUOTE]

Unorthodox yes -but effective!

Really sorry this series has finished -fabulous entertainment right from the start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't you teach me history :( All I got was the Tudors and Stuarts with all the sex and violence glossed over

You mean you didn't learn about the "bare-topped tricksters"?
    What the poor got up to was just as down and dirty as old Henry and Charlie 2;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great stuff and a chance for McFayden to shine. His face when he saw the little lass:cry:
    The tribute to Hobbs and the hoplessness of Reid and Miss Goren ( what a cracker she is!)
    Long Susan..I don't mind her character..she is just a heatless beech and let's face it..helps f you are gonna be a madam who likes nice frocks,
    Creepy Victor and crew.....:eek: shudder.
    Yes Roll on series 2
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad the series is over! I enjoyed it very much and I enjoy all three of the main characters. Not sure why people hate Jackson so much.

I do wish Susan was developed more and hoping the women are given are more of a role in the second series.

Can't believe Hobbs was married! He looked far too young.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The search for his daughter continues! Gutted thats the end of the series, really loved that!

Unless he has now resigned himself to her being dead.

I loved the singing at the start. It moved me.

Great series. Looking forward to the next one.
  • Options
    Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Ms. Goren. She and Reid are a pretty hot couple.

The singing was heartbreaking. I love that we got to see his colleagues mourn for Hobbs. Too often shows skip this part after a death.

Overall, good series.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I could strangle my teenage son..(not really but am mad)...my youngest wouldnt settle last night so at 9pm I had to go up and get him to sleep..Sky+ set as every week to record Ripper Street and I usually watch Mr Selfridge..set it to record both and said please dont move channel..come down this morning to watch the final instalment of Ripper Street and ithad been cancelled..my son obviously put his own programmes on and it hasnt recorded..watched them all and missed the last one!!!!...going to readthrough this thread now to an idea of what happened..GRRRRRR!!!
  • Options
    the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iplayer
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    I love Ms. Goren. She and Reid are a pretty hot couple.

The singing was heartbreaking. I love that we got to see his colleagues mourn for Hobbs. Too often shows skip this part after a death.

Overall, good series.

I knew that song better as The Streets of Loredo, which always used to make me cry as a child, and was definately sniffing a bit (and singing along during the chorus :o )
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    iplayer

Done...just watched it on i player I forget about that because I just record everything I want to see thank goodness for technology..good episode...dont want this series to end.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best drama series for a long time. I'm really going to miss it and am glad it's been recommissioned.

I wondered about 'adverts' as an abbreviation of 'advertisements'
    Hobbs was married :eek::eek::eek:

I realise that was because Reid could then say 'I didn't know he was married' admitting he didn't know much about his men, but I think it would have been more effective if it had been his mother.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. It's not flawless, but it has a great deal going for it. Thank the lord that ITV never got hold of it... :eek:
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=druggist reckons it's from at least 1720.

[Edit: Also, Charles Dickens uses the word in 'Hard Times', from 1854.]
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    I wondered about 'adverts' as an abbreviation of 'advertisements'

1860, according to http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=advert&allowed_in_frame=0
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member

......and "sound board"
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Posy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed thie series. So sad it wasn't Reid's daughter but sort of guessed that it would be too obvious.

The expressions on his face were very moving though, going from hope to despair. Good acting.
    Scalping Victor's corpse, putting his scalp on a child murderer and beating him up to make his sister think he was still alive is unorthodox even for Reid, Drake and Jackson!

Needs must :D
    Hobbs was married :eek::eek::eek:

I must admit that surprised me - he didn't look like he'd started shaving!
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the whole idea of Reid having had to take his daughter to work with him because his wife had gone out was an anachronism really - surely they would have had a servant he could have left her with, or failing that, a neighbour. But I realise it was necessary for the plot to work, so never mind.