Options

Doctor Who Series 8- Time for a new male companion?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Yes, I would like the series to go back to an older Doctor too, once Smith is ready to leave. Somebody in the 35 to 45 age range, ideally.

or older .. he is over a thoueand years old now so looking over 50 would be ok too...
  • Options
    liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather series 8 was with just Clara. As we haven’t seen much dialogue between Clara and the doctor in series 7, series 8 can explore Clara a bit more.
    We have had a male and female companion for a few series so as long as it is Matt Smith playing the doctor, it being just Clara and the doctor for the majority of series 8 won’t feel like over repetitive format. That would be the preferred option for me.

All I hope for Series 8 is that Matt Smith returns to playing the doctor. He is fabulous.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it in here too ....

I think the first half of Series 8 could be Twelve/Clara, then the second half could be Twelve/Clara/Male Companion and during the series the Paternoster Gang in at least three episodes and Kate Stewart in perhaps two episodes. A good flow as well, narratively.

Maybe something like ...

Ep1: Twelve/Clara/Kate
    Ep2: Twelve/Clara
    Ep3: Twelve/Clara
    Ep4: Twelve/Clara
    Eps5&6: Twelve/Clara
    Ep7: Twelve/Clara/Male Companion/Paternoster Gang
    Ep8: Twelve/Clara/Male Companion
    Ep9: Twelve/Clara/Male Companion
    Ep10: Twelve/Clara/Male Companion/Kate
    Ep 11: Twelve/Clara/Male Companion
    Eps 12&13: Twelve/Clara/Male Companion/Paternoster Gang

To be honest I have three ideas for a male companion ...

1) Victorian pickpocket/jack the lad type - gets involved in a story with the Paternoster Gang, Twelve and Clara, does something heroic/puzzle solving and gets an invite to travel with Twelve/Clara. Flirts a bit with Clara but they're not a couple. Similar to Jack/Rose.

2) 1950's policeman - a bit straitlaced but likes travelling with Twelve/Clara. Ends up in the TARDIS by accident though.

3) Futuristic soldier type out for revenge against a familiar foe who has massacred his community/family. Initially travels wih Twelve/Clara as a means to an end but grows fond of them the longer he's with them.

If we do get a male companion, I think here are obvious provisions ...

a) tonally different to Jack/Mickey/Wilfred/Rory but as effective/competent/interesting.
    b) not as a love interest for Clara - mild flirting ala Rose/Jack is fine though.
    c) not from the 21st century - either a period companion or a futuristic one.
    d) introduce them in the second half of Series 8, maybe around episode 7.
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My idea is a highlander Scottish guy in his 60s, now that would be cool. Maybe played by that guy who was Joe Sugden in Emmerdale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    My idea is a highlander Scottish guy in his 60s, now that would be cool. Maybe played by that guy who was Joe Sugden in Emmerdale.

I'd love to see Jamie back for an episode but I do think we'll get a new male companion at some point during Series 8.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    b) not as a love interest for Clara - mild flirting ala Rose/Jack is fine though.
    No jack-style flirting, please. It ruined every episode he appeared in.
    c) not from the 21st century - either a period companion or a futuristic one.
    Sounds interesting. It would be something new.
    d) introduce them in the second half of Series 8, maybe around episode 7.

Yes, Clara needs more development alone.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been listening to the Troughton audios and I really really like the idea of Jamie returning ( I love Frazer Hines :)) but I seriously doubt Moffat would do it.

I get the impression that he dislikes to look back to the classic series too much and likes to create his own modern day characters and if Jamie came back it would only be as a token gesture for the fans for the anniversary..

Besides if Capaldi is to keep his accent I doubt he would have a second Scots chap in there permanently.

If there was a male character I would quite like a Mike Yates type around 35-40 ( given that Jack seems unlikely to return of course! )
  • Options
    Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    The gossip is that following the 50th special in the next series we're going to get a "good" zygon as a companion, -that's right -kinda like what they did with the Sontarans & Silurians. And because its a zygon it could be any person/ creature!

.. okay, bad joke :yawn:

-this is something I don't like with the new series -the monsters are meant to be the baddies -okay?! :D
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Seta wrote: »
    The gossip is that following the 50th special in the next series we're going to get a "good" zygon as a companion, -that's right -kinda like what they did with the Sontarans & Silurians. And because its a zygon it could be any person/ creature!

.. okay, bad joke :yawn:

-this is something I don't like with the new series -the monsters are meant to be the baddies -okay?! :D

As much as I hate Jenny, Vastra and, Strax you can't call an entire race evil. In the very first Silurian story the leader Silurian was willing to make a deal with earth and saved the entire human race. The Sontaran problem I agree with as they are a clone race built from the same gene coding so there shouldn't be a good one.
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the producers need to get a male companion who is going to draw in extra viewers. I know it sounds really superficial but like the USshows someone really good looking and a good actor will always draw in extra viewers and to be honest it is all a business at the end of the day and about maximising viewing figures. Being a great actor and going down the arty road is fine but doesn't help if viewing figures are dropping.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joe_000 wrote: »
    I think the producers need to get a male companion who is going to draw in extra viewers. I know it sounds really superficial but like the USshows someone really good looking and a good actor will always draw in extra viewers and to be honest it is all a business at the end of the day and about maximising viewing figures. Being a great actor and going down the arty road is fine but doesn't help if viewing figures are dropping.

Are viewing figures dropping again?! :p
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sontaran problem I agree with as they are a clone race built from the same gene coding so there shouldn't be a good one.

So that whole Nature v Nurture debate is settled is it? :)
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Are viewing figures dropping again?! :p

Aren't they?? :-)
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    That's a fair point.

We've already had the male/female companion on more than one occasion (and with Rory, it was for over two years). But outside of River's occasional visits, we've never had a female/female companion dynamic.

Susan and Barbara (with Ian)
    Nyssa and Tegan

Plus there have been a few crossover serials (like Mel/Ace) but they don't really count as you don't see the dynamic.

Personally I don't think they should shake up the current core partnership of Doctor and female companion. Clara is going to have to carry the show until we get used to Capaldi. From halfway through series 8 or the start of series 9 then yes, introduce another male companion as the 3 way split does work fairly well.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe_000 wrote: »
    Aren't they?? :-)

No.

The overnights might be lower, but that is made up by the timeshifted figures which are much higher as more DW viewers use the technology and facilities such as iPlayer and PVRs available to them to watch at a time that they want (and who said that DW fans were not discerning ... ;))
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something else I would like is a companion over 30, maybe even over 40. So far we have only had one full-time companion since the relaunch who has not been out of their late teens or twenties. Time for an older companion again, if you ask me.

Yeah someone the real fans can relate to :D

I found the dynamic between the Doc and Evelyn particularly interesting in the audio books. It won't happen on TV mind, and would have worked better with a younger doc - but somewhere between her age and the typical girlie, maybe
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd disagree that the companion needs to be human and of our time for us to relate to them. As long as they experience human emotions, we can relate.

Very good point - as long as the character is strong, well written and well acted, I don't think it matters where they come from any more. I'd argue that Romana (especially Lalla Ward) was a very successful companion, despite being a Time Lady and awfully clever, simply because she was a cracking character that the audience still easily related to. In an entirely different way Leela worked well too.
    And look at Jamie, one of the most successful and popular male companions, and he came from 1746.

On the other hand, some of the less successful or popular companions were ones who were deliberately written to be obvious identification figures, such as Dodo.

A new male companion would alter and shake up the dynamic on the TARDIS it's true, but I think that we ought to let Capaldi find his feet first. Having a much older Doctor with someone as young as Clara is a big shake up in itself, and could bring all sorts of interesting new dynamics. I'd like to have this new team settle down first before throwing in a new male companion.
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I've said it a lot of times, but with an older Doctor I'm pretty sure that we'll get a younger male companion introduced to handle the "action" scenes - all the older Doctors had one (apart from Sylv, but Ace took on the "action" role instead, and Clara doesn't seem the type to run around blowing stuff up).
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said it a lot of times, but with an older Doctor I'm pretty sure that we'll get a younger male companion introduced to handle the "action" scenes - all the older Doctors had one (apart from Sylv, but Ace took on the "action" role instead, and Clara doesn't seem the type to run around blowing stuff up).

I see what you mean, but age, these days, is no barrier to being an action hero - look at Stallone, Willis, Harrison Ford and many many others, all of whom are Capaldi's age or more, and all of whom still play action hero lead roles. Whilst the Doctor isn't a traditional action hero I think you get my point.

Capaldi himself, despite being the same age as Hartnell when he took the role, is clearly much fitter and younger in his appearance. Now we don't know how he will play the Doctor, but if he chooses to play the role as an extension of himself, something that most Doctors from Pertwee onwards have done, then I'd say he's fit and active enough not to require a younger male companion for the action type stuff.

It'll be very interesting to see how this all pans out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    I see what you mean, but age, these days, is no barrier to being an action hero - look at Stallone, Willis, Harrison Ford and many many others, all of whom are Capaldi's age or more, and all of whom still play action hero lead roles. Whilst the Doctor isn't a traditional action hero I think you get my point.

Capaldi himself, despite being the same age as Hartnell when he took the role, is clearly much fitter and younger in his appearance. Now we don't know how he will play the Doctor, but if he chooses to play the role as an extension of himself, something that most Doctors from Pertwee onwards have done, then I'd say he's fit and active enough not to require a younger male companion for the action type stuff.

This.
    Making older man more full-of-energy would make him even more interesting. Stereotypical characters aren' t good in show like DW.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jon Pertwee was one of the older actors in the role, yet he was the first Doctor to take on the "action man" role. Btw Sylv wasn't that old really; still in his 40s I think.
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Clara at first didn't seem to be the type that would sacrifice herself for the Doctor either, yet that is what she did in TNOTD. Clara has been a surprise, an impossibility in a tight skirt in the Doctor's words, and who knows, after the events coming up in TDOTD and the Christmas special, Clara may become the type that blows things up.

Her trust of the Doctor is coming absolute, along with his trust of her. Saving each others lives will do that. It is similar to the bonding that occurs to soldiers on the battlefield.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A new male companion would alter and shake up the dynamic on the TARDIS it's true, but I think that we ought to let Capaldi find his feet first. Having a much older Doctor with someone as young as Clara is a big shake up in itself, and could bring all sorts of interesting new dynamics. I'd like to have this new team settle down first before throwing in a new male companion.

Which is probably why if we do get a male companion in Series 8, they probably will/should be introduced during the second half of the series.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory:):):)
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't see Clara being around for long. Just a hunch I have.