Tunisia to join the EU?

Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,925
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've heard at college on news that there are plans to fast track Tunisia's entry into the EU to bring more stability, security and certainty to the country.

Firstly I'd did not know they were on the EU waiting list or in the council of Europe and secondly they are in Africa! Would they not be best staying in the African Union?

Surely it would cost the EU more money, than any financial benefits the EU would get in return from them being in.

However I can understand how it would be good at creating stability, human rights and preventing ISIS for ever taking over. With more jobs and a secure future extremism might fade away.

Comments

• jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it April 1st already?
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tunisia is not in Europe, it is in Africa, so how can it join the EU?
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if it does happen, that's one less argument for Scotland staying in the union if Referendum no2 comes up.

The SNP must be getting organisms over this.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tunisia is not in Europe, it is in Africa, so how can it join the EU?

Exactly what I said in my thread, same as Turkey it's in Asia and is trying to join. I think the Ukraine Russia and Belarus have a higher priority as they actually are in Europe.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Turkey it's in Asia
    Turkey is both in Europe AND Asia.
    Forum Member
    Exactly what I said in my thread, same as Turkey it's in Asia and is trying to join. I think the Ukraine Russia and Belarus have a higher priority as they actually are in Europe.
    You think Belarus and Russia should be a priority for joining the EU? Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk....
  • Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australia would be a good EU member.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard at college on news that there are plans to fast track Tunisia's entry into the EU to bring more stability, security and certainty to the country.

Firstly I'd did not know they were on the EU waiting list or in the council of Europe and secondly they are in Africa! Would they not be best staying in the African Union?

Surely it would cost the EU more money, than any financial benefits the EU would get in return from them being in.

However I can understand how it would be good at creating stability, human rights and preventing ISIS for ever taking over. With more jobs and a secure future extremism might fade away.

Is this for another Assignment you have to do?
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Jim Nash wrote: »

I've always seen Australia as a sensible nation so why would they want to :D
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    Turkey is both in Europe AND Asia.
    3% of it is in Europe. That doesn't make it European.
  • Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »

Well, they were in the Eurovision Song Contest. I thought that was all any country needed to do to qualify for EU membership.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Nash wrote: »

Totally agree. Any country that wants to join the EU needs to have a full frontal lobotomy.
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    3% of it is in Europe. That doesn't make it European.
    And it means it isnt Asian by that logic.
  • Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it means it isnt Asian by that logic.

By my logic, if 3% is in Europe then 97% must be in Asia, surely. You`re not a lecturer in advanced mathematics, by any chance ? But that 3% is more than enough for the expansionist EU to allow membership. "We need living space in the East" said one German chancellor. It looks like another will achieve it !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think Belarus and Russia should be a priority for joining the EU? Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk....

True but at least Russia and Belarus arn't sending people to join ISIS in Syria and Iraq.
  • Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus the fact that they have a practical, functioning immigration policy. That'd never do.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Well, they were in the Eurovision Song Contest. I thought that was all any country needed to do to qualify for EU membership.

EU rules do stipulate that Eurovision Song Contest involvement is a prerequisite for entry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    EU rules do stipulate that Eurovision Song Contest involvement is a prerequisite for entry.

That could rule Tunisia out then as music is probably banned in the IS Islamic caliphate
  • LamparillaLamparilla Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morocco actually applied to join what was then the EC in 1987, and was rejected because it's not in Europe.

However, Cyprus joined the EU in 2004 and it is geographically wholly in Asia.

Although 97% of Turkey's land mass is in Asia, 10 million of its population live in Europe, giving it a bigger 'European' population than 15 of the current member states.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lamparilla wrote: »
    Morocco actually applied to join what was then the EC in 1987, and was rejected because it's not in Europe.

However, Cyprus joined the EU in 2004 and it is geographically wholly in Asia.

Although 97% of Turkey's land mass is in Asia, 10 million of its population live in Europe, giving it a bigger 'European' population than 15 of the current member states.

Isn't Asia & Eurpe basically the same landmass anyway.
  • LamparillaLamparilla Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

Yes, it's Eurasia. So we could let China join the EU!

The thing is, though, that the division into Europe and Asia is more of a cultural, political, religious thing I guess.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh Jesus, you get worse! :D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That could rule Tunisia out then as music is probably banned in the IS Islamic caliphate

Racist.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »

So is Africa but don't give the EU any more ideas :o
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now now, this is not quite as bonkers as it may appear...

From 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7095657.stm

Foreign Secretary David Miliband has suggested the European Union should work towards including Russia, Middle Eastern and North African countries. He said enlargement was "our most powerful tool" for extending stability.

In his first major speech on the UK's relationship with Europe, he said the EU would not become a "superpower" but should be a "role model" for the world.