Options

Margaret Thatcher dead

Comments

• Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Why is Cameron flying home early from his "Europen Tour"?

Business shouldn't halt.
  • Options
    AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    There's talk of a" state funeral "that is not going to go down well with a lot of people.

Precisely what is wrong with politics today. It shouldn't be about guaging public reaction and doing what is popular.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I see DS hasn't got this as breaking news on the front page yet.

Presumably they're waiting for a celeb to tweet about it first, so they can report that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already done!

ENOUGH SAID.

By the same FM, no less! (they edited their post to make it appear more "tasteful".
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    One of our junior members, then? I'm sure it's less than 10 years or so since Callaghan and Heath died, and I think Wilson went in the mid-90s (he also had Alzheimers, so had been out of the public eye for a long time).

Oooh I like that being called a junior member at 45.. :D I meant to put that she is the first one that I am more aware of that has died in my lifetime. I don't remember the other two sadly, Margaret Thatcher came to term when I was 11 and yes she had more of an impact on me then because I was aware of who was in term etc..
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    firesale1 wrote: »
    Exactly. It's this pathetic twitter left-wing brigade. My uni is filled to the brim with them; far too young to have lived then, but hate Thatcher nonetheless, simply because a) their mates hate them b) they think it's cool to follow their gimpy liberal mates.

STATE FUNERAL FOR THATCHER!!!
    Using the death of an old woman as an opportunity for pathetic political point-scoring isn't just confined to the left then... :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Maggie Thatcher.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallysally wrote: »
    Couldn't stand the woman - hated her politics and all she stood for.
    Can't say I am glad she is dead as I would not like to say that about anybody - but I am not weeping.
    Same here
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

How long before someone does the "Ding, dong..."

Sent via txt to many of my friends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebration Time Come On!!!!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like her policies but at the end of the day, she is someones mother, that alone deserves some respect.

I think she will be known for a long time as Thatcher the milk snatcher.
    Hope she rests in peace.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Sallysally wrote: »
    Couldn't stand the woman - hated her politics and all she stood for.
    Can't say I am glad she is dead as I would not like to say that about anybody - but I am not weeping.

I really hope she is not given a state funeral.

This.
    Yes to people being dignified but I'd find a state funeral galling.
    A state funeral should be for people who'd united the country, and who'd secured the goodwill of all. Thatcher didn't. She divided the country and there are large numbers of people who utterly despise her.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    By the same FM, no less! (they edited their post to make it appear more "tasteful".
    OK, how about:

On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    BBC already trashing her in their commentary about how divisive she was - she is barely cold.

That’s not trashing just true.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was a massive political figure whether you love her or hate her. I'm much closer to the latter but any celebration of her death is utterly classless. So to is some of the left-baiting here.

As a history student, it'll be interesting to see how her legacy is dealt with over the coming weeks and years.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    It's called an obituary. They review her life, good and bad. There was plenty of both. It'd be a disgrace to make her out to be some kind of saint.

I won't pretend to be upset or even slightly moved by this news. She was an old, frail woman, she was going to at some point. She was hated by many, no one in my immediate family or circle of friends liked her or looked up to her. I grew up during the last few years of her Premiership. I remember someone on my street having a party when she was leaving number 10.

She divided the country in life, to pretend she wouldn't do so in death is just silly. Many people will be happy at this news and will show it publicly.

She didn't divide the country, she united it.

Are you too young to remember what was going on before her?
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Good.

This from YET ANOTHER member who wasn't born when the woman became Prime Minister and was only 10 when she left office.
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not one for dancing on peoples graves, let the God above make the necessary judgements on her, and if she has to burn in hell or live in paradise, or whatever, let it be.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Why is Cameron flying home early from his "Europen Tour"?

Business shouldn't halt.

TV opportunity
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using the death of an old woman as an opportunity for pathetic political point-scoring isn't just confined to the left then... :(
    If only this thread had stayed in General Discussion instead of Politics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They couldn't defeat her when she was alive so all the left can do is boo and throw insults now that she's dead.

Well the Tories got rid of her because she faced defeat at the next election.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Least said.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed, from the moment the thread opened it's been filled with people desperate to anticipate how 'nasty' everyone who disagreed with Thatcher will be. This, fortunately, has been limited to one poster - as opposed to about twenty who have eagerly cited the lack of respect they seem to want to see.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Why has this been moved to politics? :confused:

Like her or loathe her, she was probably THE towering political figures of the late 20th century and surely deserves a thread in General Discussion?
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    Sky news reporting she will be accorded an Official Funeral. State Funerals are reserved for members of the Royal family.

I thought Churchill had a state funeral? It was jolly impressive, loads of soldiers and stuff anyway.

We hadn't long got our first tv when he died and I remember it well.
This discussion has been closed.