DSFE 60: Wisdom in Lisbon

AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
Forum Member
✭✭
Welcome to the diamond anniversary of DSFE brought to you from the picturesque cityscape of Lisbon. We are here thanks to Natalia Jiminez who gave Portugal their first ever DSFE win with Creo en Mi, showing that even when times are difficult, all you need is a bodysuit and a small riot to makes things okay!

Speaking of which, DSFE will see the return of both picks and pairs! Here are the rules:

1. To sign up, PM me a list of the 5 countries you'd like in this contest. You will get one of these countries assigned to you. You can find a list of DSFE countries here, although not all of these will be included. This will be your own country and you must not share it with anyone else. I will try my best to give everyone one of their top choices, but be aware if you ask for 5 popular countries, you may end up with your fourth or fifth.

2. If you'd rather not do this, just let me know in your sign up PM, and I will assign you a random 'good' country i.e. at the very least above average based on past contests.

3. You can also PM me a list of up to five DSFE players who you'd like to pair up with in this contest (you can list less than 5 if you want... and you can list me as one of your 5 if you want :D ). You will need your best wisdom to work out who you will work well with! Please note that no one will be paired up with the same player they were with in Almaty, as variation is the spice of life :3 If you don't have a preference of who you're paired with, then I will try my best to matchmake you with someone fabulous.

4. Just like in Almaty, you and your partner will be responsible for 2 countries. There's a chance that these could be 'good' or 'bad' based on what is left after picks. It will be your responsibility to work together to find songs for these 2 countries, and when you do send your songs, I will PM both of you to make sure you're on the same page.

5. If you'd rather be a lone wolf in Lisbon, please mention this when you sign up. You will have no partner and therefore just one random country to yourself (as well as your pick). This is of course reliant on there being an even number of players who want to work alone.

6. Sign ups are open until Sunday at 7:30pm, or earlier if we have a mass of players suddenly signing up but based on recent contests I do not expect this. So take your time to think about your top 5 countries and top 5 players, as there is no rush!

7. I don't think I've left anything out, but any questions then my PM box is always open to your queries.

8. I will confirm signed up players periodically on the thread, so don't freak out if I don't PM you back with a confirmation.

Obrigado e boa sorte! :)

Comments

• BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Signed up :)
  • PooleyPooley Posts: 5,062
    Forum Member
    signed up - hope to god i get my top choice - have an epic song lined up for them
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avb wrote: »

avb if you look like Norman Wisdom then I really want to work with you lol!
  • Yugimuto1Yugimuto1 Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    Signed up
  • poshblokeposhbloke Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back for this contest as my workload is down from ridiculous to the usual plain unreasonable :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poshbloke wrote: »
    Back for this contest as my workload is down from ridiculous to the usual plain unreasonable :p

Yay! And I do know how you feel sometimes :)
  • avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Notice Funda is in Turkvision, looks like one of the favourites to win.

Will start having a look for songs for my pick, there's a couple of songs I wouldn't mind giving a go at some point, just hoping whatever I get makes it out of the quarter final this time, poor Alain... :(:p
  • AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's get this rolling!
    1. Alexos
    Obviously I am back again not only to facilitate this latest installment of madness but also to compete! This is the fourth time I've hosted this year which partially makes me wonder what I'm doing with my life, but anyhow I got to use some of my favourite songs this year; what will the final chapter of 2014 look like???

2. phill363
    Phill is known for his love of all things pop, and can often be found lamenting the presence of a good upbeat track as we all try and out-ballad each other. After a stunning 2013, this year has not been so kind to Phill, although he did come 3rd a couple of contests ago. Will 2014 end with a silver lining?

3. nunaney
    Nunaney is a relatively new DSFE player. Their story arc has been sadly filled with disillusionment after missing out on the final a few times. However, like all good Eurovision learning curves, nunaney made their breakthrough into the final in Vaduz, and despite being criminally undermarked, this could mean a new start!
  • yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,194
    Forum Member
    Omg, you're reviewing us all :D:o *braces*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol :D
  • yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,194
    Forum Member
    Well I had 1 non-disaster :p
    That's not fair, just getting to the final is an achievement. I'd love to actually have 2 finalists for once though.
  • mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My year has pretty much been a disaster. Making 3 finals in 12 contests is not satisfying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4. Pooley
    Pooley has graced the DSFE scoreboard with a win every year that the competition has been in existence. His hectic schedule has cost him more than one disqualification in 2014 but he is still on the frontline when it comes to the more 'traditional' Eurovision entries. Could Lisbon be win number 5 for Pooley?

5. BethnalGreen
    After a two year hiatus, Beth's return to DSFE in Tirana was a bit like Sharon Osbourne returning to the XF. She has yet to match the 3rd place she got way back in Helsingborg but has made all but one of the finals since her return and has propped up the DSFE tent with her recap creation skills. Is the end of 2014 a bell-weather for Beth's victory?

6. yoshi94
    Like so many DSFE success stories, yoshi's 2014 beginnings were humble, but out of nowhere he soared into the sky and along with MiesB has helped bankrupt Jersey this year. He also handled the St Helier#2 scandal like a pro when approx 1/5 of the contestants turned out to be the same person. Perhaps yoshi can look forward to a gentler hosting gig in January?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol I wondered what song you were going to use for me! :) Oh and my birth name was Sharon :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikabv wrote: »
    My year has pretty much been a disaster. Making 3 finals in 12 contests is not satisfying.

Stay positive - you might end the year on a high! :)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    Omg, you're reviewing us all :D:o *braces*

That didn't end well on the other thread :D

Liked mine though in this thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    That didn't end well on the other thread :D

Liked mine though in this thread

What other thread? :confused: lol
  • avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    What other thread? :confused: lol

The GD thread and the night of the Chocolate_Monst, later referenced in Euan's long and winding leaving speech... :p

I think we can trust Alex to be a little more diplomatic with his reviews!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The GD thread and the night of the Chocolate_Monst, later referenced in Euan's long and winding leaving speech... :p

Absolutely! lol :D
  • mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay positive - you might end the year on a high! :)

I just gotta keep trying...
  • Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love the little bios!
  • CuishlaCuishla Posts: 16,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikabv wrote: »

I don't quite understand how Might Oaks didn't make the final .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I will try my best ;)
    7. stanld03
    Little did we know that Ivy Quainoo had been paid off by Michael Schulte, and therefore Dan was not able to take Liechtenstein to victory in Neuss. Nevertheless, he is still in high spirits which is impressive since he has been playing since Torshavn! Can 2014 still be Dan's year like it was for Dylan, Yoshi and Yugi?

8. Yugimuto1
    2014 has been busy for Yugi, as he's made every final and slowly edged his way towards a gold which he was finally granted in Almaty. We then entered a parallel dimension where I was given four countries and Kosovo sent in a song good enough to reach the final. Perhaps we never left.

9. andrewdk
    Andrew joined the competition this time last year. While he has yet to have a breakthrough moment, one can almost feel a new, more positive story arc for him creeping over the horizon. This would definitely be welcome as he missed the last three finals; can Lisbon change everything for Andrew??