Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I think what has happened here is that the team have stumbled upon the plate at some point and realised that it would make a 'good' sight-gag for the Argentina show.

Therefore, they haven't maliciously gone out to find a Falklands War-related number plate, but sheer happenstance has put one in their path.

Both sides of the argument regarding whether this was done on purpose are to some degree correct and to some degree wrong.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    As for the comment about all they do is read a script. If you took a <insert favourite comedian> script, for a standup show and read it. Do you think you will get the same amount of laughs? Or maybe replace Pacino with Rowan Atkinson in the Godfather movies? You think they would be the same movies?

You just had to watch Jo Brand on Bake Off Extra Slice to see how disastrous a rather poor comedian reading a script, off the teleprompter, can be.
  • Options
    mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    All TV is stage managed. To a large extent it is absolutely necessary so all the establishing shots can be planned and recorded. The script will be written before they leave the UK. Imagine if they simply went to Argentina (or wherever) and just hoped something entertaining might happen. They could drive for a thousand miles without incident. If something random did happen the chances of them getting it all on film would be minute.

The naivety is believing it's some kind of fix to con the viewing public.
    I pretty much agree with all this except...

I remember a Winter Sports episode from a good few years ago where there were clearly a number of genuinely funny incidents. The team also genuinely laughed at them - you can always tell the difference when that is natural as opposed to scripted. That used to happen a lot.

Those days are long gone. The program is now tightly edited and scripted, with every 'hilarious' occurence turning up right on cue. That's fine, but my beef with Top Gear was that it still implies that it is a documentary/factual programme rather than, in effect, the sitcom it has become.
  • Options
    humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pretty much disagree with everything you've said here, if they replaced JC with someone else like Chris Evans (god no) then the show would be cancelled in no time, not only that the presenters wouldn't want anyone else, it's them 3 or no one and rightly so.

I did say suitable presenters. You have just decided that your least favourite would be chosen. There are hundreds of very suitable people around , many as nerdy as the present incumbents . Nerds for nerds I think.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humbug333 wrote: »
    I did say suitable presenters. You have just decided that your least favourite would be chosen. There are hundreds of very suitable people around , many as nerdy as the present incumbents . Nerds for nerds I think.

Just like the original trio of actors from New Tricks, the three TG presenters work well together and work off each other. To change one or more would inevitably change the whole team dynamic, and would results in a very different programme (just has happened with NT),

It would be the death knell for the programme.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that the Argentine Ambassador is now demanding an official apology for "Numberplate-Gate".

Perhaps they could invite him to be a Star in the Reasonably-Priced Car? Only perhaps Jeremy oughtn't to interview him...
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    It seems that the Argentine Ambassador is now demanding an official apology for "Numberplate-Gate".

Perhaps they could invite him to be a Star in the Reasonably-Priced Car? Only perhaps Jeremy oughtn't to interview him...

Maybe they should apologise, something along the lines of

We are sorry for the number plate gaf
    We are sorry for beating your army during the Falklands war
    we are sorry that we sunk the ARA General Belgrano
    We are sorry that you decided to invade the falklands and get your asses kicked
    We are sorry that you dont have a sense of humour
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should apologise, something along the lines of

We are sorry for the number plate gaf
    We are sorry for beating your army during the Falklands war
    we are sorry that we sunk the ARA General Belgrano
    We are sorry that you decided to invade the falklands and get your asses kicked
    We are sorry that you dont have a sense of humour

We are sorry that the dictatorship that used to torture people, and throw people out of the back of planes, lost power after their failed attempt to colonise the Falkland Islands.

We are sorry the Argentine Navy sunk one of their own warships in harbour in 2013

We are sorry that they have let their economy collapse.

Anything else?
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Just tell crater face to eff off.
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea when the new series starts?
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    We are sorry that the dictatorship that used to torture people, and throw people out of the back of planes, lost power after their failed attempt to colonise the Falkland Islands.

We are sorry the Argentine Navy sunk one of their own warships in harbour in 2013

We are sorry that they have let their economy collapse.

Anything else?

I wouldnt mention the first one. We are hardly in a position to criticise other countries about torture, human rights and invading countries, are we?

Apart from that, I think we have it covered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt mention the first one. We are hardly in a position to criticise other countries about torture, human rights and invading countries, are we?

Apart from that, I think we have it covered.

I hadn't read anywhere about torture on the scale used in Argentina being used in the UK for many hundreds of years. Perhaps a few Irish terrorist had some very moderate questioning compared what happens in the much of the rest of the world (and nothing like what the IRA did to anyone they got their hands on).

I can't remember any UK agency every throwing people out of aircraft.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just watched a repeat on BBC3 when they were in China and at the end of the show Chinese hosts had taken over the show.

Only mentioning it because a couple of days back there was a report that made the national news about the new Chinese spin off.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/10/bbc-top-gear-china-version-jeremy-clarkson
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoughts on The perfect road trip 2 DVD?
  • Options
    dans_t16sdans_t16s Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thoughts on The perfect road trip 2 DVD?

? Not sure I've seen that. Was it shown on TV?
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dans_t16s wrote: »
    ? Not sure I've seen that. Was it shown on TV?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Gear-Perfect-Road-Trip/dp/B00MJYZ8DY

DVD only :)
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.. No James May, no sale. TG road trips only work as a threesome.
  • Options
    dans_t16sdans_t16s Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is this Forum not about UK TV shows?
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Hmmm.. No James May, no sale. TG road trips only work as a threesome.

Road Trip 1 worked fine, I thought. Looking forward to seeing the second,
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well then, here we go again.
    @JeremyClarkson
    Tonight on BBC2, some men are nice about Argentina. Tomorrow night, they throw rocks at us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humbug333 wrote: »
    Is Top Gear about the programme and its contents or about the presenters ? Surely the presenters do not write the scripts and come up with the ideas so they are surely dispensable. The show would go on with new suitable presenters. The show is sold worldwide as a concept not because of individuals so surely Clarkson and Co. does not have that much clout.....That's my opinion. What do others think?

Your opinion is incorrect: Clarkson writes the scripts.

May comes up with a lot of the challenges (that is why his Manlab is so good).

Top Gear is the 3 presenters and what makes it a worldwide hit and most people realise they are playing characters on screen.

In the US version the presenters play characters as well.

Wilman & Clarkson make Top Gear and control it and that is why it is so enduring.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    WARNING! Tonight's show is not a serious car show programme; so if you like serious car type programmes, please make sure that you watch the first 5 minutes of tonight's show and then post a 20 page epic on everything that was wrong with that 5 minutes and also what was very wrong with all the rest of it that you didn't watch.

In other words: Carry on regardless!

:D
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Well then, here we go again.
    @JeremyClarkson
    Tonight on BBC2, some men are nice about Argentina. Tomorrow night, they throw rocks at us.

...And on that bombshell.......

:D
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part 1 is at 8:30PM today and part 2 is at 8:00PM tomorrow.
  • Options
    simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my, that number plate... What larks the boys could get up to with that!
This discussion has been closed.