The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    AlexBB3 wrote: »
    No torpedoes on deck this time, got to conserve scarce supplies! :D

I don't disagree about using limited video replays. Goal-line technology is a no-brainer. But beyond that it gets difficult. Offside decisions are another possibility, but I don't think the grey area of fouls can be decided by technology. The slow-motion shows yes X touched Y and Y fell over, but it doesn't tell you whether it's a foul or not.

My general point is that you will get just as many controversial incidents, because the media focus will just shift back to find new controversies to highlight. Like the throw-in that wasn't given 3 phases before the goal was scored, etc. Every game is full of these inaccuracies, many go unnoticed. Only if they occur close to a goal or a red card incident do they get put under the microscope. So I'm not arguing against use of technology, just the notion that you will suddenly feel everything is more accurate as a result of it. However good the officials or the technology, there will still be the same search for scapegoats and fan outrage in the high pressure media cooker of the EPL.

If you want to play the media game (fed by the clubs/managers who want to tip the goalposts in their favour in future), that's up to you. I'm just giving you an alternative way of looking at it which works for me. Namely: there will inevitably be numerous officiating mistakes or judgement calls and, over the course of the season, they probably even themselves out. After all, it's only a game, right?? :)

Perhaps we could mic up the players too whilst we're at it. Then when they swear at the referee, we could report them to the police and have them prosecuted for breach of the peace?? :p:D

BIb Is it, i thought it was a multi million pound business ;)

and thanks for not launching
    forever grateful
    lindy and i
    cannot swim :p
    Forum Member
    bblover wrote: »
    Good to read you're ok now,augusta:)xxx

Lol Georgy,i only know of Liverpool FC,but mighty Liverpool?:confused::p

Not really sure about goal line technology and stuff like that,mistakes has always been part of a footie match....All the technology,means the game won't be fluent as it used to...

Sorry about Arsenal :o
    Forum Member
    Deeferone wrote: »
    Okay, while I am here - I will add my expertise ;) to the debate. So, I think we should get back to the good old days of football, were the players wore short shorts - were the players got up straight away after a foul and not wait around on the pitch for sympathy and a photo shot - were you took it on the chin when the ref made a decision - were football was the important factor not who was sleeping with who of the pitch, were I had no idea what the off side rule was but listen to hubby explain it to me time and time again - What next tea and cucumber sandwiches at half time:rolleyes::eek::D

All very sensible ideas
    especially the short shorts, but not tea and cucumber sandwiches
    Thats afternoon tea and Cricket :p

by the way very rude answering post, and not
    a good morning from me insight

Good morning jjat :p
    Forum Member
    Well thats enough from me
    until someone else joins in
    don,t won't to flood the page :o

no nyannie i see
    i know she was going away
    any idea when she gets back :confused:
    a important bit of the jjat is missing without her :D
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    morning all....how is everyone?

we saw sky fall on friday......it is a brilliant James Bond film. I loved the special effects....and Daniel Craig is lovely. and the scenery is lovely....
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    morning all....how is everyone?

we saw sky fall on friday......it is a brilliant James Bond film. I loved the special effects....and Daniel Craig is lovely. and the scenery is lovely....

I know how good was it
    and a few surprises thrown in :D

pleased you had a good time
    and enjoyed it :D
    Forum Member
    I did....Sky fall does live up to the hype, it is a film to recommend...although i think we need to go again....we had to sit just in front of the screen and my eyes are still hurting!!

Ive been reading again, and got a fascinating book out of the library called ''Love Falls'' By Emma Freud....the book is about a trip a girl makes as a teenager with her father, who she barely knows who is called. Lambert. it was fascinating reading, especially when i realised that Emma Freud is the daughter of Lucien Freud, and the man she is describing is probably her own father.

And the group of friends and aquaintances she meets out there are probably connected to him and his circle.....

I also watched strictly...and although im very surprised at tonights eviction....I spose it makes a kind of sense.

I want Victoria to leave....now....she is irritating me intensely....but i know that others are loving her for almost the same reasons.

I should be able to like, her, she isnt a dancer, and is improving....but her atttitude annoys me so much, she is 34, and putting on this little girl, poor little me kind of act..... watching her vt etc, I just keep wanting to tell her to grow up a bit....

im still loving Louis and Flavia.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIb Is it, i thought it was a multi million pound business ;)

It is for those with a financial involvement in it. [That's why I referred to managers who try to fight a PR war post-game, regardless of the actual result]. For you and I though, it ought to be just a game!

Bit like BB really. It's a business for Endemol and C5 (and perhaps even for some HMs), but for us posters surely it's just a game! ;)

ps - whilst we're on Strictly, I just wanted to note for the record that Darcey Bussell is a total BABE! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is for those with a financial involvement in it. [That's why I referred to managers who try to fight a PR war post-game, regardless of the actual result]. For you and I though, it ought to be just a game!

Bit like BB really. It's a business for Endemol and C5 (and perhaps even for some HMs), but for us posters surely it's just a game! ;)

ps - whilst we're on Strictly, I just wanted to note for the record that Darcey Bussell is a total BABE! :cool:

Do you know what I mean? Yah? OK? Yah? Yah? :p
    Forum Member

she is lovely....but I know what kfb means as well....:D.

but for me she is so much better than alisha...she is able to give constructive criticism.....and she has made craig relax a bit more .......i think...
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    I'm back.

Been very poorly with asthma after catching a cold in York. We had to leave a day early. Need to see GP tomorrow. Ugh!

York wonderful.

Have to agree with you Alex and augusta. I like Darcy. Her comments are usually very constructive. I do think the judges (particularly Len) favour Denise. I think Louis was definitely undermarked.

I'm back off to bed. Have a good evening. Recording Downton so I don't sleep through it - o/h off to meet Heston Blumenthal - lucky him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kfb wrote: »
    Do you know what I mean? Yah? OK? Yah? Yah? :p

It's a guy thing.... we're superficial! :o:D
    but for me she is so much better than alisha...she is able to give constructive criticism.....and she has made craig relax a bit more .......i think...

Looking back, it's hard to believe they replaced the delightful Arlene with that airhead! :eek:

PS to the Liverpool fans with whom I've been 'sparring': wonderful goal by Suarez today, and a deserved red card for his opponent. :cool:

PPS welcome back Nyannie. York is wonderful. Get well soon. :(
  • bbloverbblover Posts: 41,663
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    I'm back.

Been very poorly with asthma after catching a cold in York. We had to leave a day early. Need to see GP tomorrow. Ugh!!

Good to have you back Nyannie,sorry to hear about the cold,take it easy.xxx

We were abysmal,could have been more than the score suggest.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to read you've come back from your trip feeling poorly.
    Hope you liked York though - a beautiful city.
    Forum Member
    morning.all....

ve discovered genesunlimited..where you trace your family tree.......Its fascinating...absorbing and xpensive. Maybe i need to avoid it !!
    Forum Member
    I also saw an amazing documentary about Red Bull and Felix Baumgarten..

They have been planning his jump for about 10 years and its cost Red bull millions to develop and stage....

(Im still completely bemused about why.....but it seems to be slightly concerned with astronauts and space exploration...so i like it now !!)

The best bit was my OH and my discussion about Felix's nationality.....my OH thought he was Belgian !! Until he visited his mum in Salzberg and started chattering away to her in German !!! Its just so frustrating how good some people are at speaking another language. Felix's english is almost perfect.

connected to some stunning photography.....

and the fact that it took Felix less than 5 minutes to fall from such a height.....and the fact that the guy who did it 50 years ago, still holds the record for being in the air for the longest period, from such a height... The guy who did it 50 years ago, was doing it to test the pressurised suit for the NASA astronaut programme/ or for fighter pilots......and it was nice to see him involved and being so excited about someone trying to recreate his world record.
  • Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, so am I. Very sorry in every sense of the word. :(:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bblover wrote: »

We were abysmal,could have been more than the score suggest.:rolleyes:

That's one way of describing their performance. I could use more colourful language but it would get me a long holiday!! :o:eek::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning JJat, the sun is shining. Hooray!! :)
    Thought we were going to have to build an ark Friday night, the rain and hailstones have been horrendous. :eek:

Spoke to my sister last night and they woke yesterday morning in Dorset (they were on holiday) to snow! Great big snowflakes that settled to almost an inch. Spoke to her friend in Wiltshire and they had even more. :eek: All gone by the time they left to drive home though. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyannie wrote: »
    I'm back.

Been very poorly with asthma after catching a cold in York. We had to leave a day early. Need to see GP tomorrow. Ugh!

York wonderful.

Have to agree with you Alex and augusta. I like Darcy. Her comments are usually very constructive. I do think the judges (particularly Len) favour Denise. I think Louis was definitely undermarked.

I'm back off to bed. Have a good evening. Recording Downton so I don't sleep through it - o/h off to meet Heston Blumenthal - lucky him!

Welcome back nyannie, you've been missed. :)

So sorry to hear you're poorly though. What rotten luck to get ill while on your break. :(

Sending you lots of best wishes for a speedy recovery. Keep well wrapped up and lots of your chicken soup should do the trick. Get well soon!!

Watched Downton last night, loved it. Treated to an extra half hour and now we have the special on Christmas Day to look forward to. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    morning.all....

ve discovered genesunlimited..where you trace your family tree.......Its fascinating...absorbing and xpensive. Maybe i need to avoid it !!
    I also saw an amazing documentary about Red Bull and Felix Baumgarten..

They have been planning his jump for about 10 years and its cost Red bull millions to develop and stage....

(Im still completely bemused about why.....but it seems to be slightly concerned with astronauts and space exploration...so i like it now !!)

The best bit was my OH and my discussion about Felix's nationality.....my OH thought he was Belgian !! Until he visited his mum in Salzberg and started chattering away to her in German !!! Its just so frustrating how good some people are at speaking another language. Felix's english is almost perfect.

connected to some stunning photography.....

and the fact that it took Felix less than 5 minutes to fall from such a height.....and the fact that the guy who did it 50 years ago, still holds the record for being in the air for the longest period, from such a height... The guy who did it 50 years ago, was doing it to test the pressurised suit for the NASA astronaut programme/ or for fighter pilots......and it was nice to see him involved and being so excited about someone trying to recreate his world record.

Morning augusta.

One of OH cousins has been compiling the family tree and it's so enormous (very large families) that when they unfolded the papers it's over a metre square and they're still adding the newest generation to it. It makes for fascinating reading.

We've been going through my Dad's personal effects the past year and we have filled two archive boxes with photographs, cards and letters. It's such a shame we didn't know he had all these photos as we have no idea who half of them are. So many in Victorian dress taken in photographic studios infront of painted backdrops. Few family left now who might know who these people are. We even found one of our Grandfather in uniform from WW1 along with his fellow soldiers.

We also have Mum and Dad's wedding day cards and telegrams and my mum's 21st birthday cards. My sister's decided it's time to start compiling our family tree. :)

Recorded the Space Dive programme, really looking forward to watching it later. Did you see Felix on Graham Norton on Friday night. An amazing guy, have to say he's rather easy on the eye. :o:D

Well, must go. Have to drag two enormous parcels to the post office. Thank goodness it's down hill all the way. Have a good day everyone. :)
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Good morning JJat, the sun is shining. Hooray!! :)
    Thought we were going to have to build an ark Friday night, the rain and hailstones have been horrendous. :eek:

Spoke to my sister last night and they woke yesterday morning in Dorset (they were on holiday) to snow! Great big snowflakes that settled to almost an inch. Spoke to her friend in Wiltshire and they had even more. :eek: All gone by the time they left to drive home though. :)

I was driving home along a quiet country road at about midnight on Saturday, it was very clear and frosty.....then suddenly the road in front of me disappeared :eek: :eek:.....or so it seemed......for a split second I thought I must have somehow driven off the road.....:eek: It turned out it was an enormous flood!! No idea why, but I was so shocked ( the weather being dry) that I reported it to the police when I got home. Have just been that way again and they have flood triangles in place, and the road up....water board maybe.

Anyway not sure about the point of that story...just chatting :o;)
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Welcome back nyannie, you've been missed. :)

So sorry to hear you're poorly though. What rotten luck to get ill while on your break. :(

Sending you lots of best wishes for a speedy recovery. Keep well wrapped up and lots of your chicken soup should do the trick. Get well soon!!

Watched Downton last night, loved it. Treated to an extra half hour and now we have the special on Christmas Day to look forward to. :)

Welcome back nyannie, we miss your daily updates :) Hope you feel better soon xx

I agree, I thought Downton was really good last night. I loved the way Tom caught the ball :)....and Thomas' situation was genuinely moving :cry:
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all. Thank you so much for all your good wishes. It is very kind of you.

I have mild pleurisy and a bad asthma/chest cold so kindly GP has loaded up with oral steroids, mouthwash - don't know what it's for, 2 litre bottle of water, antiobiotics and a heat pad for my back - can't take anti-inflammatories. Thank goodness the surgery has a pharmacy on site.

I have had to cancel hearing a lecture by Heston Blumenthal, my trip to Oxford, my O2 tennis outing with a great friend (we were going to see Federer play too), my life drawing group - and dinner with friends. GP said I should be better by Thursday - if I stay in bed and rest - wish I could. My wheezing wakes me up and I have tried every pillow combination known to man - even tried sleeping in our high-back chair last night but it didn't work!!!

At least I saw Downton uninterrupted last night and have been watching tennis from the O2.

Very sad that Colin has gone on Strictly but there we go.

We have had lovely weather today but the fields are saturated. Had emails from relatives and friends in NY. My cousin who lives in midtown wasn't much affected but things from about 30th street downtown and on the riversides are pretty bad - still not many subways working. Other cousin who lives in a rural part of NY hasn't had any power or heating for over a week now and may have to camp out at other cousin's house.. They have a generator but there is a shortage of gas to power it so they can't use it.

My hometown just outside NYC which is on the Hudson River has been devastated and nothing seems to be happening to get anything sorted. A schoolfriend lives on the 7th floor of a block of flats and has had to walk up and down them for food and work - schools are closed and my friend has had no electricity for over a week. Luckily her gas is still workable so she can cook. I really thought the National Guard and state government would have gotten things sorted - at least partially by now. Perhaps they are all waiting to see if they have jobs after tomorrow's election - and if you ask, I have voted for Obama.
  • ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Lord nnyanie you have had a rough time:(:(.I wish you a speedy recovery and hope things in NYC improve.
This discussion has been closed.