They aren't mutually exclusive.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm seeing double
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know, never met the woman. What she did was evil of course but I couldn't tell you if she was evil or a loon or both.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ev-ill.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    she wasn't ill at all. she was just pure evil. why would this even be debated.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Ev-ill.

Damn! Beaten by mere seconds.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, she was put in a conventional prison and not a mental hospital unlike Brady, so I'm inclined to say evil, but then again if I'm honest I don't have much faith in the state correctly deeming whether people are mentally ill or not, so I'll just stick with saying I have no idea.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    disordered.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evil and personality disorder.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    She may have had some sort of diagnosable mental illness but that doesn't negate the fact she was a thoroughly evil woman.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Neither. She was just naive and misunderstood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she wasn't ill at all. she was just pure evil. why would this even be debated.

Where did you get your information about her?

The bar for 'mental illness' as a defence is set very high. You can't just offer in defence that someone has a severe personality disorder, for example. It only counts as a defence if psychiatrists think you literally can't distinguish good from evil.

I doubt whether she ever approached that level. She seems to have been a damaged young woman devoid of empathy and fatally in thrall to her boyfriend. Away from him, she was never violent, as far as I know.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Why is it Hindley who gets all the hate? It was Brady who did the killing. It's doubtful she would have got involved with anything like that if it hadn't been for his influence, whereas he would have got himself another accomplice & killed anyway.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she was twisted and so obsessed with Brady that she'd have done ANYTHING to please him including luring victims for the very evil Brady to murder.

I think she is worse than say Maxine Carr but not as bad as say Ian Brady or Ian Huntley if that makes any sense.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Both. You'd have to be mental to set out to kill people and record what you did to them.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I think she was twisted and so obsessed with Brady that she'd have done ANYTHING to please him including luring victims for the very evil Brady to murder.

I think she is worse than say Maxine Carr but not as bad as say Ian Brady or Ian Huntley if that makes any sense.

Why bring Maxine Carr into it? She had no involvement in the murders whatsoever.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookside wrote: »
    What do you think?

Evil could be that something has been wrong in that person's brain since they were born. There must be for a very small percentage of people to commit the crimes they do. It's a shame that scientists haven't discovered how to stop this from happening.
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Why is it Hindley who gets all the hate? It was Brady who did the killing. It's doubtful she would have got involved with anything like that if it hadn't been for his influence, whereas he would have got himself another accomplice & killed anyway.

Because he was a psychopath beyond reach. She wasn't a psychopath yet still partook in evil acts.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why bring Maxine Carr into it? She had no involvement in the murders whatsoever.

Did you even read what I wrote? :confused:
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    The sad state of affairs is she could have been mentally ill. I doubt very highly the posters on ds are in any qualified to give a definitive answer, but I'm sure people of the time studied her in the only way they knew how. The sad thing is even if she were diagnosed as completely unfit, whilst there may be a very small amount of understanding, it could never bring closure or anything of the kind to the families affected by hers and his actions.
    I just wish things along that line would progress faster than they appear too so people can act rather than react. I know way too many people with severe mental health issues and know that our system is ill equipped in a big way to deal with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I wish people would leave her alone. She was wrong for what she did, but she's served her time for those lies. She should be allowed to get on with her life.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching a programme about her and it seemed to suggest that she had a personality disorder such that she had to be what ever anyone wanted her to be. She was a murdering bitch with Brady as that was what he wanted. She was the contrite/innocent with Lord Longford as that is what he wanted etc.

So I reckon both. Although I am not sure that I know what the difference is. I think I do until I really start to think about it but any workable concept of evil I come up with could encompass mental illness.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To use as a relative marker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Did you even read what I wrote? :confused:

She's worse than Maxine Carr indicates that Maxine commited a terrible crime.