Noisy Neighbour Below

Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a neighbour underneath us and he plays his music at a stupid level till around 5am near enough every night and when its not music its his tv at a rediculous level. Hes is early 20s and I have been down several times to ask to turn it down and to be fair he does for that night and it starts the next night.

I have been to my local housing office and told them whats happening and they wrote to him to ask him to go and see them last week but when i saw him the the other day, he said he couldnt be arsed to go.

It is still happening right now and has been every night for a good few months now.

Also can I add he is continuously slamming doors day and night which makes my o/h jump out her skin.

What are my next options before I lose it with him?

Thanks

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a neighbour underneath us and he plays his music at a stupid level till around 5am near enough every night and when its not music its his tv at a rediculous level. Hes is early 20s and I have been down several times to ask to turn it down and to be fair he does for that night and it starts the next night.

I have been to my local housing office and told them whats happening and they wrote to him to ask him to go and see them last week but when i saw him the the other day, he said he couldnt be arsed to go.

It is still happening right now and has been every night for a good few months now.

Also can I add he is continuously slamming doors day and night which makes my o/h jump out her skin.

What are my next options before I lose it with him?

Thanks

It's a long slog, but it will be keeping records, getting environmental services around to try to measure the noise levels, and abatement order, then probably an eviction order if the still hasn't stopped.
  • iknowitall1iknowitall1 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    See if you can get his phone number and ring him up as he may have fallen asleep and if thats not the case you can give him a taste of his own medicine when he IS asleep.

If he's below you bang on his ceiling to let him know .

Assuming its rented accommodation your only legal route is to get the council to come round when the noise is going on.
    Get other residents to complain - surely they are disturbed aswell.

Other than that , if he's smaller than you tell him you'll kick the shit out of him if he does it again .
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Buy him some wireless headphones.
  • Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention the housing gave me a log book and I have filled it up in the first week...

Thanks for the replies!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back to your local housing office and tell them they need to visit him because they'll never get hold of him if they don't. Ring them everyday and ask them if they've been to see him yet. You need to get on their nerves to make them get off their butts and do something.

It's a time consuming process to start with but you need them to get the ball rolling because you're the one listening to it every night not them. Koantemplation's right about the logs too. Log everything, date, time etc

Your local housing office'll only take forever with it if you let them.
  • iknowitall1iknowitall1 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I forgot to mention the housing gave me a log book and I have filled it up in the first week...

Thanks for the replies!

Once you've filled the log book the next step will be for the council to send someone round to measure the level of sound if they think your log book contents justify it.

Can you get another neighbour to join you as additional complaints will be a big boost to your case?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    It's a long slog, but it will be keeping records, getting environmental services around to try to measure the noise levels, and abatement order, then probably an eviction order if the still hasn't stopped.

...and l add that you can ask for a recording device to be installed for a week or so. It sounds like you've contacted your housing association but what about your council's envronmental health department?

If either of them aren't offering good service in the long term than contacting your MP to pressure them might help. http://www.theyworkforyou.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OhDamm wrote: »
    Go back to your local housing office and tell them they need to visit him because they'll never get hold of him if they don't. Ring them everyday and ask them if they've been to see him yet. You need to get on their nerves to make them get off their butts and do something.

It's a time consuming process to start with but you need them to get the ball rolling because you're the one listening to it every night not them. Koantemplation's right about the logs too. Log everything, date, time etc

Your local housing office'll only take forever with it if you let them.

Thanks that makes alot of sense, will go there in my lunch break tomo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it relevant but he has a young child and gf staying there, the child is awake still now shouting or whatever.

Mt gf is ill in bed which winds me up too because of the noise:mad:
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Get all the neighbours on your side. If there are a few tennants complaining they will take it more seriously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, involving your MP is a good idea, I had the same problem with a neighbour and it was only after involving my MP that the council started to do anything other than fob me off with the 'noise diary'

Good luck, and keep complaining, and keep a record of every compliant you make to them.
  • CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it relevant but he has a young child and gf staying there, the child is awake still now shouting or whatever.

Mt gf is ill in bed which winds me up too because of the noise:mad:

Is there a welfare issue here? How old is the child?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pull up your carpets, wear tap shoes instead of slippers
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take your tool bag down to his flat one night. When he opens the door just walk straight in and tell him you've come to sort out his banging doors. It's probably caused by chains or some other closing device. Remove them.

While you're doing it tell him in no uncertain terms he needs to get a set of headphones because his music is keeping you up.

If this doesn't work you might have to get him by the throat and threaten to knock f**k out of him and his sound system.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Take your tool bag down to his flat one night. When he opens the door just walk straight in and tell him you've come to sort out his banging doors. It's probably caused by chains or some other closing device. Remove them.

While you're doing it tell him in no uncertain terms he needs to get a set of headphones because his music is keeping you up.

If this doesn't work you might have to get him by the throat and threaten to knock f**k out of him and his sound system.

And the next step will be phone call to your OH telling them you have been arrested.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    And the next step will be phone call to your OH telling them you have been arrested.

I doubt it.

Even if it did - So what?

Nothing would happen and the problem would be solved - unless the fella downstairs was some sort of psycho.