ESPN America (Part 2)

Comments

• Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ESPN America is 8 years old today. Blimey, has it really been that long?

Are they including NASN in this? Because I'm sure I first got NASN when I moved to a new house in 2003 and that was only a few months after it launched, so NASN presumably began in late 2002 - ie 8 years ago.
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happy birthday then...
  • Mimizuku no LewMimizuku no Lew Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Are they including NASN in this? Because I'm sure I first got NASN when I moved to a new house in 2003 and that was only a few months after it launched, so NASN presumably began in late 2002 - ie 8 years ago.

They'd have to, seeing as how it only changed name to ESPN America last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd have to, seeing as how it only changed name to ESPN America last year.

Was it only last year? Now I'm the one who has no concept of time. I'd have guessed it was about 3 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It changed on the 1st of February 2009.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember NASN in December of 2002, it obviously was around but maybe not on the epg as I didn't see it actually accessible until the next month, January 2003 when the transmissions were not only free but usually ad free and where you could watch and hear the tv crews at various games chatting off air and rehearsing the replays for when their ad break ended. That was fun! And apart from a three week break when it looked liked it was all going to fall apart before ESPN took over- I've been with them ever since. So happy Birthday ESPN/NASN.
    By the way, something not talked about here yet, and to be honest only seen on screen for about a millisecond on the ESPN ticker wall during a college Football Live transmission, any thoughts on the new Sunday Night Baseball line up on ESPN? Jon and Joe are out (although Jon might be going to ESPN Radio for Sundays) and Dan Schulman, Orel H and Bobby Valentine are in. Must say, I'll miss Jon and Joe's dulcet tones after 14 seasons on UK TV, but Dan and Bobby V are good replacements, bring on April.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is something special about hearing the voices of Jon and Joe on that first Sunday in April - it's then you know that baseball is back.

But Morgan is just awful to listen to. Glad to see him gone really.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to miss Jon Miller though.
  • ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Morgan was a waste of space who was stuck in the past, Miller was a legend.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    By the way, something not talked about here yet, and to be honest only seen on screen for about a millisecond on the ESPN ticker wall during a college Football Live transmission, any thoughts on the new Sunday Night Baseball line up on ESPN? Jon and Joe are out (although Jon might be going to ESPN Radio for Sundays) and Dan Schulman, Orel H and Bobby Valentine are in. Must say, I'll miss Jon and Joe's dulcet tones after 14 seasons on UK TV, but Dan and Bobby V are good replacements, bring on April.

I've just found out about this thanks to your post and to be honest I'm pretty shocked by the news. I had heard during the postseason that their contracts were set to expire after they'd covered the World Series on ESPN Radio but (unusually for me) I didn't keep tabs on the story after the conclusion of the season as I was certain they'd re-sign as they did the last time their contracts were up (in 2008, I think).

Apparently Jon and Joe were told they wouldn't be renewed on Sunday Night Baseball early last month, but it was only last Wednesday when ESPN officially confirmed Dan Schulman, Orel Hershiser and Bobby Valentine would be the new SNB broadcast team for 2011 onwards.

To me it's very sad news as it's the end of an era. I grew up listening to Jon and Joe broadcasting Sunday Night Baseball when it debuted on Channel 5 back in 1997, they helped me get into and understand the sport and to me they are the voices of baseball. Perhaps as a consequence, I've never really got annoyed with Joe in the same way some do and I've always enjoyed Jon's dry wit and quiet enthusiasm.

As for Jon possibly staying on with ESPN Radio to do Sunday Night Baseball, apparently he's saying it's unlikely he will take them up on their offer. I'm not sure if this means he'd turn down an approach to continue doing postseason baseball for them, or if ESPN's interest in him doing the postseason would be dependent on him doing regular season games.

Miller calls games for the San Francisco Giants during the week so he could find himself calling all of their weekend games too. Also, with Dan Schulman doing SNB, ESPN might need a new lead voice of Monday Night Baseball as well as on ESPN Radio's postseason coverage.

It looks like Jon and Joe are done on a national basis and I'm quite sad about that, I'll miss them.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's odd that espna's sportcentre never mentioned it,and as I said it was only a quick glance at the big ticker on college game day that I went on espn's website to get more info. I wonder if Dave O'Brien will move up to Mondays? Failing that does this mean the return of Garry Thorne (which I would personally quite enjoy), or will it be Jon Sciambi who seems to do a lot of pre season baseball commentary for espn. 3 and a bit months and counting.
    Forum Member
  • Ceejay1Ceejay1 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Has anyone noticed that ESPNA are now giving higher prominence to Sportsnation at the expense of ATH/PTI?

The early morning repeats of PTI and ATH have been dropped - they only get one showing late night (apart from an oocasional extra showing around 4.30am), whilst SN is now in the 8.00am slot, and often also on at 5am and again later in the day.

Where is the logic in showing SN 3 times and PTI/ATH only once?

Everyone's view is different, but as I've expressed before, I can't stand SN - it's absolute rubbish. I would imagine that most people/majority, like myself, think PTI is by far the best?

Unless I watch ATH/PTI at 11pm, I always record both the late and next day early repeats of PTI/ATH in case they made any edit mistakes/missed segments etc.

Also, about a week ago, PTI was scheduled for 4.00am, with no late night slot the night before (only ATH). However, as live sport overran, PTI was not shown at all - and yet SN was shown (each for an hour) 3 times later that day.

Surely it would make more sense to show ATH/PTI/SN twice each?

I say bring back the 2nd broadcasts of ATH/PTI.

Separately - Jon/Joe - MLB. I echo the sentiments expressed above - sad, sad loss. Only the very best commentators can make boring games interesting and entertaining with their rapport, humour and stories - and they do. Very bad decision by ESPN.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could kind of understand why ATH and PTI are not shown at 8am (except Saturday mornings). I suppose if you think about, Sportscenter shows hi-lights from the nights action whilst ATH and PTI are previous day news and /or looking forward to the nights games. So any repeat should be before SC. On a Saturday there is no SC hence (some) Saturday morning showings.

So the question is - does SN require a repeat - probably not - as most people would record it (unless they are not working) during the day. So 2 showings are not required
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ceejay1 wrote: »

Also, about a week ago, PTI was scheduled for 4.00am, with no late night slot the night before (only ATH). However, as live sport overran, PTI was not shown at all - and yet SN was shown (each for an hour) 3 times later that day.

That was annoying because the live college basketball over ran till about 4:15 and they just filled air for 15 minutes before putting on Jim Rome is Burning (awful program!) at 4:30 as scheduled. If they had dumped the ad breaks (which only promote programmes coming up anyway) I reckon they could have easily have caught up. NASN used to do that in the past off memory. So that episode didn't get aired at all as you say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Agree Jim Rome is awful and it should be dropped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Jim Rome is Burning.
  • AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Jim Rome/Jim Everett clip is still the funniest thing on YouTube !! And when will Virgin ever get ESPNA in HD !!!!! Can't believe it's been 8 years tho'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Ceejay1 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that ESPNA are now giving higher prominence to Sportsnation at the expense of ATH/PTI?

The early morning repeats of PTI and ATH have been dropped - they only get one showing late night (apart from an oocasional extra showing around 4.30am), whilst SN is now in the 8.00am slot, and often also on at 5am and again later in the day.

Where is the logic in showing SN 3 times and PTI/ATH only once?

Everyone's view is different, but as I've expressed before, I can't stand SN - it's absolute rubbish. I would imagine that most people/majority, like myself, think PTI is by far the best?

Unless I watch ATH/PTI at 11pm, I always record both the late and next day early repeats of PTI/ATH in case they made any edit mistakes/missed segments etc.

Surely it would make more sense to show ATH/PTI/SN twice each?

I say bring back the 2nd broadcasts of ATH/PTI.

Unfortunately, I'd have to completely disagree with you. Sportsnation is a great show not only because it actually discusses sports but it pokes fun at it and makes it enjoyable for people of all ages, unlike shows like Jim Rome which just made me fall asleep...

And as you said, you record ATH/PTI anyway why does it matter if they dont repeat it? if your recording it anyway, then why get upset over a timeslot that you dont even watch anyway :sleep:

And besides, if no one was watching the SN repeats then they wouldn't be airing them in the first place :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Wasn't sure about SN at first, but it's grown on me. I think it's a good addition for ESPNA.

Jim Rome is a legend. I'll admit his TV show isn't a patch on his radio show, but his 'takes' are almost always spot on.
  • AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish we had a weekend edition of SportsCenter. Really miss it at the w/ends.
    Forum Member
    I'd watch SN if Colin Cowherd wasn't such an insufferable prick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    I wish we had a weekend edition of SportsCenter. Really miss it at the w/ends.

Yep that is ESPNA's biggest hole at the moment - sure it will change sometime though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    ElMarko wrote: »
    I'd watch SN if Colin Cowherd wasn't such an insufferable prick.

But that's one of the stengths of the show I think. He's playing that character perfectly.

As others have said - the lack of a weekend SC is a shame.Hopefully now the Mon-Fri one has been established it will arrive soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Yep that is ESPNA's biggest hole at the moment - sure it will change sometime though.

Agreed, I'd go to a full hour on Monday's too to recap the Sunday NFL action and squeeze everything else in.