Titanfall

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Sales numbers and exclusivity stuff aside, i'm loving the game so far, although i've got to admit that the attempt to inject a storyline into it is pretty weak. They would have been better off just saying "so there's two warring factions...now go fight because that's obviously the only reason you bought the game!" like on Unreal Tournament. It is a really good game though, and it's one that definitely looks better in motion, screenshots don't really do it justice, some of the stuff that goes off in the background is pretty awe inspiring. I brought down a full enemy dropship just as it was about to leave by dropping my titan on it yesterday, i nearly jumped out of my seat in excitement:blush: The epilogue really is a stroke of genius. I can't remember the last time i felt that sort of rush/excitement playing COD or Battlefield :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This must have sold well I noticed they closed the gap on PS4 sales in US expect it to be similar in UK and Europe.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you were already planning on going out and buying an XB1 then don't, the game isn't worth buying a system for.

As much as I have raved about the game, it is already a week in starting to lose my interest. There is a shocking lack of game modes and guns. All we know so far is that maps will come in the DLC, no idea if game modes or guns will come further down the line.

I have a feeling the complete lack of customisation was something they did on purpose. You can just see the advertising campaigns... "MORE GUNS, MORE ACCESSORIES" for the next game. Or perhaps even just in DLC.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I have a feeling the complete lack of customisation was something they did on purpose. You can just see the advertising campaigns... "MORE GUNS, MORE ACCESSORIES" for the next game. Or perhaps even just in DLC.

Yeah, I had this fear before the game launched that EA would have micro-transactions everywhere. :(
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think this game kills off cod. I mean would anyone want to play cod after titan ?

This aside from cod actually trying to kill itself anyway.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If CoD wasn't killing itself, Titanfall couldn't kill it whilst it is only on one console. On both, maybe the next edition of it could.

I actually ended up on Ghosts last night after playing TF and I can't go back to the slow speed and feel of CoD now (not that I could play Ghosts anyway), it just felt far too sluggish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Do you think this game kills off cod. I mean would anyone want to play cod after titan ?

I don't think it'll "kill COD", but going back to other FPS's after playing Titanfall definitely feels sluggish by comparison. After the TF Beta ended i went back to BF4 and while i still enjoyed it, it felt very slow paced, especially when you've been used to the faster pace, double jumping and wall running. There's room for more than one FPS game though i think, i imagine i'll be flitting between TF and BF4 for a while. I haven't touched Ghosts since before Christmas though, so like you say, COD might be killing itself off at this rate.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »

No not a chance. Ghosts is the CoD killer. The CoD developers need to stop and go back to the drawing board because it just isn't working now. The series has become stale and boring. same shit with a diff name. TF is something new and exciting but needs to keep moving/evolving into something better to keep gamer's interested or it'll go the same way as CoD.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you were already planning on going out and buying an XB1 then don't, the game isn't worth buying a system for.

As much as I have raved about the game, it is already a week in starting to lose my interest. There is a shocking lack of game modes and guns. All we know so far is that maps will come in the DLC, no idea if game modes or guns will come further down the line.

I keep hearing this, along with how bad the matchmaking is.

A few magazines/websites held off reviewing the game until they'd tried it in "real world" conditions, I wonder how they will score it in comparison to the early reviews?

I'm gonna try to stay strong and see how the 360 version turns out. Just one reason for me to get an Xbox One at the moment but still lots of reasons not to.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    The lack of game modes doesn't bother me. I sat and played DOM on CoD4 for a good 18 months without really venturing out too often into other game modes.

As for CoD-killing - early days. It's certainly got the basics right, which is far more than CoD can claim these days.

TBH though, TF doesn't really need to 'kill' CoD - it's doing a damned fine job of finishing itself off anyway.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    bob2005 wrote: »
    This must have sold well I noticed they closed the gap on PS4 sales in US expect it to be similar in UK and Europe.

But the figures are for February sales we need to wait until next month to find out what impact it has had on console sales.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A few magazines/websites held off reviewing the game until they'd tried it in "real world" conditions, I wonder how they will score it in comparison to the early reviews?

I'm gonna try to stay strong and see how the 360 version turns out. Just one reason for me to get an Xbox One at the moment but still lots of reasons not to.

I thought u had a gaming rig mate. Dunno where I got that idea from. damn this old age :D
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Just saw the Digital Foundry analysis of TF. It doesn't make for pleasant reading.

I wonder if TF being released in it's current state is a detriment to the XB1 platform, especially considering that Infamous is releasing next week and looks graphically superb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd assume the matchmaking system is the same as CoD? The problem is, there seems to be a lot of rage quitting going on, which means for me at least, 90% of the time I'm put into a game where it's nearly over (and the overwhelming majority of the time, the losing team!).

A system needs to be implemented where people who leave mid-game are more heavily punished.

Dan27 wrote: »
    Just saw the Digital Foundry analysis of TF. It doesn't make for pleasant reading.

I wonder if TF being released in it's current state is a detriment to the XB1 platform, especially considering that Infamous is releasing next week and looks graphically superb.

Considering how many units it's shifted, I'd say no. But I do see what you mean - there are many FPS issues in the XBO version. These issues weren't present in the Beta version (or at least none that I encountered), so I'd assume it's an issue which can be patched.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought u had a gaming rig mate. Dunno where I got that idea from. damn this old age :D

No, just a laptop. It will run Titanfall, but I'm not sure how well. I'd rather get the game on console where everyone has the same level of hardware.

Life's a bit up in the air at the moment, both at home and at work. Once everything settles down I might get round to building a decent rig.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-next-gen-face-off

I was considering buying TF for PC early last week, But the massive 48Gb install size with the unnecisary 35Gb of uncompressed audio put me off. If it was 48Gb just because thats how big the game needed to be I'd be less bothered, But it been that big solely because of the audio been uncompressed is just stupid & unnecisary. There stated reasons behind the audio been uncompressed is also unconvincing.

Also starting to see a lot of people talk about how the game becomes a bit dull after a bit due to lack of modes/content which was something I was a bit concerned about beforehand.

Think I'll wait & see if someone comes up with a way of compressing the audio to decrease install size & see what gets announced in terms of additional content before deciding to pick this up.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Had a great few matches today and had loads of fun.

I'm finally starting to get used to the maps now and it helps a great deal, especially when you know all the quick wall-running routes from object to object in hardpoint.

It really is one of the best competitive FPS I've ever played. Call of Duty is dead to me now, but that was more of their own doing. Titanfall was the last nail in the coffin.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I had this fear before the game launched that EA would have micro-transactions everywhere. :(

I have seen people in this thread asking for Microtransactions.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not a chance. Ghosts is the CoD killer. The CoD developers need to stop and go back to the drawing board because it just isn't working now. The series has become stale and boring. same shit with a diff name. TF is something new and exciting but needs to keep moving/evolving into something better to keep gamer's interested or it'll go the same way as CoD.

Indeed.

I bought Ghosts last week, after seeing the digital combo on Amazon had gone back down to ~£25.

I wish I hadn't bothered... It was awful :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is... it's sort of hard to keep a game original that rotates around the same thing. You shoot people in a war-like environment. There isn't all that much room to develop it.

Titanfall will more than likely suffer the same fate - where does it go from here? Where CAN it go?
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flying titans :p
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Dunno. I'd have probably played CoD4 for ever and a day if they'd continued to support it.

In various attempts to freshen the franchise up, all's that (Fake) IW and 3arc have managed to do is overcomplicate things, and make other things worse, for the sake of change. This year's release, Ghosts, is absolute garbage. It doesn't feel anything like a CoD game at all. There's little fun to be had, and for a game that's heavily centred around the MP experience it speaks volumes that by far the best feature of the game, is Squads, which doesn't even require MP if you don't want to.

The last decent CoD game was BlOps1. Since then, it's got progressively worse with MW3 and BlOps2. Ghosts though, is a massive drop off. Sledgehammer are doing this year's game - they've really got their work cut out for them, because another stinker of Ghosts proportions will properly scuttle CoD's popularity.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they can keep it hack free and balanced with no op weapons then it has a chance. This isnt easy with a huge community out there probably hunting for Glitches as we speak.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found the matchmaking to be fine.

Last Titan Standing is more fun than a force feedback codpiece (as Yahtzee might say :P)

Game is great, though more weapons would be nice. Looks pretty good on PC maxed out, though I do get a bit of chug on LTS :blush:
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More to the point if its dropping FPS and tearing badly now they will need a miracle to get this to 1080p 60fps etc.

Shame really as this was actually a PC game that MS waived their wallets at to get it on Xbox 1. Wonder how it would have been if it was PC only? Would it still be 6v6 with Grunts or would have PC gamers had a full online multi player experience? Was it purposely watered down to fit the X1?