Would XP Home run better on a netbook?

dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My netbook did come with XP home but as soon as I got it I put W7HP on it, it runs ok, not fantastic but it does the job, but I can't help but wonder if XP would run better but dont want to go through all the hassle for very little difference.

Its a bog standard eeePC 1.6 atom 1gig ram

Comments

• LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did you expect? For the latest OS to run as fast as a 9-year old one, on very modest hardware?
  • currysockscurrysocks Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    My netbook did come with XP home but as soon as I got it I put W7HP on it, it runs ok, not fantastic but it does the job, but I can't help but wonder if XP would run better but dont want to go through all the hassle for very little difference.

Did you actually use it with XP to see how it ran?
    I'm willing to bet it was perfectly adequate.

Can you just automatically roll it back to XP or does it need a fresh install (and all the updates)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I've found W7 to run better on my netbooks than any other OS, although I have only used ones with (slow) solid state drives and 2GB memory. With a mechanical hard drive, I probably would've stuck with XP.
  • PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but for general internet use probably not noticable. Biggest difference is probably boot up speed. Recent benchmark here
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2010/11/17/the-best-netbook-os-xp-windows-7-or-ubuntu/
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just put W7 on my Netbook - got the cheap £40 offer but never bothered - I did it after buying a new PC with W7 and liking it very much.
    Works fine and the new features make using it much easier - networking for a start is far simpler.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    dave81uk wrote: »

XP is most likely going to run faster.

If it were me, I would have tried to dual boot XP with 7 and take it from there.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    1.6 atom+1GB of ram tends to be the problem. /You aren't trying to run aero on a netbook of that era right?
  • Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just add I have a MSI Netbook 1.6 atom 2GB Ram. All runs pretty sweet on Windows 7 Home Premium!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I have a samsung N130, 1.6mhz 2gb ram on W7 Ultimate.

Runs fine, not slow at all. even runs Football Manager 2010 on it, abeit a bit slowly :)
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PCPro just published a blog on best choice OS for netbooks. Conclusion - if XP is loaded, don't change. W7 Starter OK. Ubuntu has relatively poor video performance. Article is here.