Cheryl Tweedy/Cole

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
Forum Member
I'm not especially fond of Cheryl. However, I watched a show on 4 Music this morning 'Shooting Cheryl' about the making of her new video. She came across as likeable, down to earth and didn't seem to take herself too seriously.

So I was wondering if this is how she normally is? Is she a genuinely friendly person or is it an act?

She is portrayed in most media outlets as being 'sweet' for want of a better word. Such as when she was axed from US X Factor it was nasty Simon, poor Cheryl. Yet some people seem to think she puts on a front and isn't all that nice at all. Her assault conviction, bitchiness in Girls Aloud for example.

I have posted this in Showbiz as it's more about her public persona than her music.

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could imagine Cheryl being okay. She's probably not super sweet, but she'll be okay though.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Beyond all the fake celeb shizzle she hides behind I'd say she was alright. I'm sure there is a Girls Aloud documentary from years ago before she became such a brand and she came across as exactly that, not overly nice or nasty.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From documentaries about GA and interviews she's done, she seems like a nice down to earth girl. She can also be very funny on twitter.
    I hated some of her choices and attitudes on X Factor, but god knows what goes on behind the scenes, so I'll put that down to producer/Simon influences or just bad judgement on her part. But overall, I think she'd be good company for havin a drink with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From documentaries about GA and interviews she's done, she seems like a nice down to earth girl. She can also be very funny on twitter.
    I hated some of her choices and attitudes on X Factor, but god knows what goes on behind the scenes, so I'll put that down to producer/Simon influences or just bad judgement on her part. But overall, I think she'd be good company for havin a drink with.

That was my original problem with her, didn't like her at all on X Factor... it was only after she left I started to changed my mind. At times it was like a "clique" between her and simon and both were pretty dismissive to Louis and Danni at times. Been more likeable ever since she left X Factor.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she seems alright but after the fight in the toilet with that girl, my perception of her changed.
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl is about as down to earth as the Moon. She is just like every other so called 'I'm just one of the people' celebrity. All a load of fakery to get the public on their side. But I don't buy it.

I did start to warm to her at one point but something happened to change my view.

And that's all I have to say.

Slán.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamaestra wrote: »
    Cheryl is about as down to earth as the Moon. She is just like every other so called 'I'm just one of the people' celebrity. All a load of fakery to get the public on their side. But I don't buy it.

I did start to warm to her at one point but something happened to change my view.

Slán.

So you've got something against celebrities full stop then?
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member

Slán.

I agree! Although I've never properly warmed to her.

However she is better than that vile Amanda Holden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    So you've got something against celebrities full stop then?

Most of them. They nearly all think they're better than everyone else and swan around as though they own the world and everyone in it.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will always associate her with battering a toilet attendant over a lollipop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pretty much agree with that. The X Factor may have made her a household name and the in the first series, she was great, but afterwards she just became bland and personality free.

I too watched the show about the making of her new video, and I noticed she was like the old Cheryl and seemed far more relaxed and happier.

As long as she stays out the clutches of creepy Cowell, I think we'll see a much more likeable Cheryl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will always associate her with battering a toilet attendant over a lollipop.

Well, I'm sure there's other celebrities out there that have assaulted someone in the past over something trivial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Well, I'm sure there's other celebrities out there that have assaulted someone in the past over something trivial.

And that toilet attendant, she changed her story when she was approached by a tabloid and played the race card - lost my sympathy for her when I heard that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that toilet attendant, she changed her story when she was approached by a tabloid and played the race card - lost my sympathy for her when I heard that.

There was something not quite right about the whole thing back then.
  • Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find her very arrogant, and shes got nothing to be so arrogant about. In her new video when shes dancing and pulling all those 'Im hard faces' just makes me chuckle. I hope she is down to earth but I cant see it.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as she stays out the clutches of creepy Cowell, I think we'll see a much more likeable Cheryl

I don't think it's entirely down to 'nasty/creepy' Simon or the XF producers. I think there's always a risk when you're doing week on week live shows for three months that occasionally the 'nicey' smiley image will slip because there's no editing. It would happen with anyone. I don't buy the 'nice' image, but I don't think she's horrible either.

I remember a journalist writing a blog around the xf-sacking which said she is very hot and cold. If she's not in a good mood, she really won't play ball.

But I think she's more in control of her output now. If she's in a good mood she can interact with fans on twitter/do however many interviews she wants. If she's not in a good mood, she can keep a low profile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou17 wrote: »
    I just find her very arrogant, and shes got nothing to be so arrogant about. In her new video when shes dancing and pulling all those 'Im hard faces' just makes me chuckle. I hope she is down to earth but I cant see it.

Lou, you are my new best friend!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think she can come across as arrogant some times too. I think she used to have a habit of making out other people were copying Girls Aloud which I used to find annoying. I remember she was asked about the All Saints reunion and said they were just trying to sound like GA. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou, you are my new best friend!

Thats nice to know :):D

I take it you 'like' her as much as me then? lol

She really does ooze arrognace and bizarrely thinks shes so hard, yet plays the victim/sweet role in the papers I dont really get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    I think she can come across as arrogant some times too. I think she used to have a habit of making out other people were copying Girls Aloud which I used to find annoying. I remember she was asked about the All Saints reunion and said they were just trying to sound like GA. :confused:

Those kinds of comments use to make me laugh so much, GA were just a bland group that had a long spell because their wasnt much competition about, but they really did think they were better than the Spice girls if I recall one of their comments lol
    I find them on Par with The Saturdays and their male clones The Wanted :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those kinds of comments use to make me laugh so much, GA were just a bland group that had a long spell because their wasnt much competition about, but they really did think they were better than the Spice girls if I recall one of their comments lol
    I find them on Par with The Saturdays and their male clones The Wanted :D

I wouldn't call them bland :p They had some really good pop tunes :p (better than the Saturdays imo :o )

What I think it was though, I think it was a mixture of arrogance and insecurity. GA were fairly ignored by critics for much of their career and I think they tried to show how good they were by knocking down other girlbands/artists instead of just letting the music do the talking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call them bland :p They had some really good pop tunes :p (better than the Saturdays imo :o )

What I think it was though, I think it was a mixture of arrogance and insecurity. GA were fairly ignored by critics for much of their career and I think they tried to show how good they were by knocking down other girlbands/artists instead of just letting the music do the talking.

But thats the thing if their music was on par with or better than the Spice Girls or Allsaints they wouldnt need to b*tch about them as their music would do the talking as you so rightly say.:) I think they knew they were of a certain level and would never exceed this level, and they let this frustration show publicly in the media when talking about other female artists.

Ok they have 'some' pop tunes that werent that bad:D, but they were never a band that made waves, and their songs wont be remembered in 20/30 yrs time and thats the truth of the situation they were just mediocre though their is nothing wrong with that, they should be happy they had such a long career really on the back of a reality show rather than moaning and b*tching all the time, it wasnt endearing and still isnt. The arrogancy doesnt help the likes of Cheryl imo though the media seem to conveniently ignore that element of her character and I honestly dont get where it comes from unless they do dillusional think they are of the same quality and success as the likes of the SG. The truth is Cheryl was a very naturally attractive girl, and she received alot of sympathy from her first album/single because of the saga with AC and this is what has given her a music career, it isnt because of her superb singing talent or dancing or song writing ability its because shes a national sob story thats attractive. She's got to big for her boots imo especially on a talent show with one of the most respected music moguls and thats why shes struggling to reestablish her 'career' people have gotten sick of it as she has no real talent imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But thats the thing if their music was on par with or better than the Spice Girls or Allsaints they wouldnt need to b*tch about them as their music would do the talking as you so rightly say.:) I think they knew they were of a certain level and would never exceed this level, and they let this frustration show publicly in the media when talking about other female artists.

Ok they have 'some' pop tunes that werent that bad:D, but they were never a band that made waves, and their songs wont be remembered in 20/30 yrs time and thats the truth of the situation they were just mediocre though their is nothing wrong with that, they should be happy they had such a long career really on the back of a reality show rather than moaning and b*tching all the time, it wasnt endearing and still isnt. The arrogancy doesnt help the likes of Cheryl imo though the media seem to conveniently ignore that element of her character and I honestly dont get where it comes from unless they do dillusional think they are of the same quality and success as the likes of the SG. The truth is Cheryl was a very naturally attractive girl, and she received alot of sympathy from her first album/single because of the saga with AC and this is what has given her a music career, it isnt because of her superb singing talent or dancing or song writing ability its because shes a national sob story thats attractive. She's got to big for her boots imo especially on a talent show with one of the most respected music moguls and thats why shes struggling to reestablish her 'career' people have gotten sick of it as she has no real talent imo.

Spice Girls? The ultimate manufactured girl group - but please, they were hardly bursting with talent.

They become a worldwide phenomenon, but that was based on gimmicks, catchy (but very annoying) songs and as much merchandise as they could squeeze out.

Cowell WAS one of the most respected music moguls, not anymore.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and thats why shes struggling to reestablish her 'career' people have gotten sick of it as she has no real talent imo.

her ep is #15 on the tunes chart with pre-orders and its not out for weeks yet. the single is likely to do pretty well, i don't think she is struggling to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right on every level, Lou! I also consider Cheryl 'elitist' because of the secrecy surrounding her return home from hospital after the malaria ('smuggled home' was what I heard, no genuinely down to earth person would do that).

And when her talent is even a quarter of that possessed by Agnetha Faltskog or Gloria Estefan, then she can brag. Which, of course, it will never be.