Mebeverine - IBS

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

Have read a few helpful threads here on IBS, but i'm specifically trying to find out how useful sufferers find Mebeverine, please? I'm 2 weeks into my first course of and i'd say it works well about 70% of the time.

Is this is "normal" success rate? I'm seeing my GP in a few weeks time. Overall, i'm happy that the Mebeverine helps most of the time, but is it possible to find a medicine that works all of the time? I have a few known food triggers.

I still suffer from wind and stomach rumbling after eating on some days. Occasional diarrhea, but not a prolonged bout.

Thank you.

Comments

• Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't speak about the meds, but a friendly piece of advice, incase you haven't already, check out whether coeliac disease may be the route of your problems, rather than just IBS.

I was an undiagnosed coeliac for nearly 17 years, because I was continually fobbed off by docs with IBS, it was only the later years my symptoms were so bad I knew it couldn't just be IBS and I demanded bloods, which lead to a positive endoscopy. It's caused a host of problems now, and I'd consider it worth looking into just to be on the safe side! Good luck, tummy issues are the pits!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I can't speak about the meds, but a friendly piece of advice, incase you haven't already, check out whether coeliac disease may be the route of your problems, rather than just IBS.

I was an undiagnosed coeliac for nearly 17 years, because I was continually fobbed off by docs with IBS, it was only the later years my symptoms were so bad I knew it couldn't just be IBS and I demanded bloods, which lead to a positive endoscopy. It's caused a host of problems now, and I'd consider it worth looking into just to be on the safe side! Good luck, tummy issues are the pits!

Thanks, my blood test came back negative for coeliac last week, so that was a relief. I know some trigger foods, but i will also have bad days when i have gone a while without eating those foods, so overall really frustrating!

I'm still worried about it being something other than IBS. Once GPs think you have IBS, everything gets put down to that. Guess i will need to trial the Mebeverine for longer though. Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    Thanks, my blood test came back negative for coeliac last week, so that was a relief. I know some trigger foods, but i will also have bad days when i have gone a while without eating those foods, so overall really frustrating!

I'm still worried about it being something other than IBS. Once GPs think you have IBS, everything gets put down to that. Guess i will need to trial the Mebeverine for longer though. Thanks again.

No probs, glad u got the all clear! Altho I've known people who tested neg on blood tests to later test positive, it all depend if the test picks up on the antibodies produced when u eat any gluten, so if you've being avoiding gluten prior to testing that could explain a false negative.

I was like you, in that I was adamant it was more than ibs and yes it is the usual diagnosis with any tummy issues. Just keep a close eye like you're doing, I hope it is just ibs and the meds give you relief, I did take ibs meds as prescribed through the years but they didn't help me, obviously. So I'd keep an eye on improvements that may suggest this is the right diagnosis and course of treatment for you.

But as always, if you still don't feel right pursue options, read up on other possible diagnosis so your best informed when going to docs.

In my case they were so sure it was ibs, even when I got so ill I couldn't eat and lost weight, I had to lie and tell then my mum had been diagnosed coeliac (she has ibs) so it forced them to test me, I'm so glad I did! They only took it seriously when they believed there was family history.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    No probs, glad u got the all clear! Altho I've known people who tested neg on blood tests to later test positive, it all depend if the test picks up on the antibodies produced when u eat any gluten, so if you've being avoiding gluten prior to testing that could explain a false negative.
    I was like you, in that I was adamant it was more than ibs and yes it is the usual diagnosis with any tummy issues. Just keep a close eye like you're doing, I hope it is just ibs and the meds give you relief, I did take ibs meds as prescribed through the years but they didn't help me, obviously. So I'd keep an eye on improvements that may suggest this is the right diagnosis and course of treatment for you.

But as always, if you still don't feel right pursue options, read up on other possible diagnosis so your best informed when going to docs.

In my case they were so sure it was ibs, even when I got so ill I couldn't eat and lost weight, I had to lie and tell then my mum had been diagnosed coeliac (she has ibs) so it forced them to test me, I'm so glad I did! They only took it seriously when they believed there was family history.

Thanks again, hadn't thought of that! I really don't eat much gluten as i know wheat is a trigger for me, so although they arn't the same, i do tend to stick to wheat free products overall and i doubt i eat anywhere near as much gluten as most people. I'll have to keep an eye on that incase i need another test.

GP asked if i had family history of coeliac (i don't) and i sensed they seemed less concerned when i said that. Some family have IBS so i know all the signs, but it's frustrating to have it flare up even when on medicince. Today's been a really bad day of cramping and i'm due out for a meal tonight! Never thought i'd be saying i'd rather stay in than go to a restaurant - so not me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, yeah I'm with you there, I dread eating our so much, the pleasure from dining out in nice places, is now replaced with anxiety about getting glutened! Even with the best intentions, cross contamination is always an issue!
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    Thanks again, hadn't thought of that! I really don't eat much gluten as i know wheat is a trigger for me, so although they arn't the same, i do tend to stick to wheat free products overall and i doubt i eat anywhere near as much gluten as most people. I'll have to keep an eye on that incase i need another test.

GP asked if i had family history of coeliac (i don't) and i sensed they seemed less concerned when i said that. Some family have IBS so i know all the signs, but it's frustrating to have it flare up even when on medicince. Today's been a really bad day of cramping and i'm due out for a meal tonight! Never thought i'd be saying i'd rather stay in than go to a restaurant - so not me!

Keep in mind you can suffer from gluten or wheat intolerance and NOT be coeliac.

I have IBS and have tested negative for coeliac on two occasions but know for a fact that wheat is a trigger for me - unfortunately I can no longer drink any beer at all :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Keep in mind you can suffer from gluten or wheat intolerance and NOT be coeliac.

I have IBS and have tested negative for coeliac on two occasions but know for a fact that wheat is a trigger for me - unfortunately I can no longer drink any beer at all :(

Yeah goes without saying a wheat allergy could be an issue, I was stressing the coeliac point purely because it's doing actual damage to your small intestine, and the longer you go without a diagnosis, the more damage it causes long-term, potentially leading to serious ailments. Hopefully it is just ibs or even a wheat intolerance and not something causing long term issues, keep on top of it OP, and don't get fobbed off if you think it's going unresolved!