Long running characters who had awful exits.

stellersstellers Posts: 916
Forum Member
✭✭
For long running i would say that is 10 years + . But you can bend that rule a bit if you have you have one you'd like to mention.

For 'awful exit' it can mean a really crap story from start to finish.
A story ruined by a terrible/stupid ending.
Complete character assassination.
Things like that.

I'd say that ED now has the top three.:o:(
Viv & Terry and now Katie.
Maybe Katie's is the number one?
Viv and Terry just suffered an undeserved ending. They weren't involved in a crap story that dragged on for weeks and weeks. Their characters weren't trashed and made unlikeable.
So, Katie's is the worst exit as far as I'm concerned.:(

Comments

• shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zainab in EE - not only was her exit nonsensical (bringing her back, reuniting her with Masood, stupid dumb girl going all bunny boiler because she had a crush on him and Masood deciding he didn't love Zainab anymore meaning she had to leave the country (as if she'd do that) and forgetting Her other family) but they basically destroyed Masood and the whole family for years because of it.
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For hollyoaks Mercedes is a long term character and one of the biggest in the past few years but her exit was awful, I hope she is alive as that will be the only saving grace to her exit.

Dennis Tanner in coronation Street technically not a long term character but a big legacy character who just walked off and was never seen again not to mention the horrible joint exit he had with Gloria a few months before.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is 6 years but I would say zainabs as it felt rushed
    Pat Evans for going against pam's wishes as she wanted the character to leave alive and it felt rushed also.
    All of Bianca and Ricky's temporary ones when they abbandlned their kids with grandparents or were sent to prison. They would be better of just have the character at work off screen for a while.
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    HO - Mercedes McQueen, Mandy Richardson
    ED - Viv Hope, Terry Woods, Katie Sudgen
    EE - Zainab Masood, Tanya Branning
    CS - Dennis Tanner, Tina McIntyre
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bianca in EastEnders!!!

Mind you she'll be back in a few years probably haha...

Not complaining though, I love Bianca, but the character needed a break!:p

Pat, because she should have never ever been killed off!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat Butcher
    Katie Sugden
    Viv Hope

I was going to say Zainab but she is alive, where as those three above me are not, so Zainab has every opportunity to return and give us more of her nagging and then a second chance of a better exit if she leaves again.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Bianca in EastEnders!!!

Mind you she'll be back in a few years probably haha...

Not complaining though, I love Bianca, but the character needed a break!:p

Pat, because she should have never ever been killed off!

I liked biancas final one, it wasn't rushed and it was a happy one for once :)
  • lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline's was the worst! Do I even say anymore?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kathy Beale
    Off screen exits annoy me, and it was done to be childish and petty because the EP at the time had the hump that Gillian kept turning down to return. There was no harm in keeping her where she was.

The only off screen deaths that worked were Mark and Angie's. Mark left so no one could see him die, and Angie's alcoholism was always going to be the death of her.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pauline fowler definitely wasnt great. Ashley peacock?..
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree on the Ashley Peacock. If anything, it was quite a spectacular exit for him and he died a hero.
  • Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathy Beale
    Off screen exits annoy me, and it was done to be childish and petty because the EP at the time had the hump that Gillian kept turning down to return. There was no harm in keeping her where she was.

The only off screen deaths that worked were Mark and Angie's. Mark left so no one could see him die, and Angie's alcoholism was always going to be the death of her.

Definitely agree with Kathy having the worst exit.

Angie should not have been killed off screen. It didn't really add anything to the show and with Den returning just a year or so later it could have led to even a brief reunion between arguably Eastenders two biggest characters
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    HO - Mercedes McQueen, Mandy Richardson
    ED - Viv Hope, Terry Woods, Katie Sudgen
    EE - Zainab Masood, Tanya Branning
    CS - Dennis Tanner, Tina McIntyre

I agree with these.
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tina's exit in CS wasn't anywhere near as bad as Katie's. The Tina story did drag on and on but I did believe TIna and Peter could fancy each other and fall in love while I never believed Robert and Katie could hate each other the way they did. The chemistry between Michelle and Chris was good while Sammy didn't have the chemistry with Ryan that she had with Karl. Tina's death was good as well. Tina did suffer the same kind of negative character change though. Katie's exit was bad on every single level.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella from Corrie
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stella was on the show just shy of three years- not exactly long running.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack Branning
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Pat Butcher. Her exit was a disgrace. It was just rushed with hardly any thought. I think axing her was a huge mistake. I'd have loved to have seen her in the pub with the Carters. She could been a good friend to Cora too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Jack Branning

Hated the character with a passion but it was a crap exit. It felt very rushed and last minute, which for a character like Jack who had been involved in loads of storylines, wasn't deserving.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Fowler got a terrible ending. I wish she had left for America and we'd have got a proper off-screen death after Wendy Richard died.

Viv Hope's exit was so bad it infuriates me to this day. I cannot ever forgive Gavin Blyth and the Emmerdale team of the time for their disrespectful treatment of Viv. Blink and you'll miss it off-screen death, zero aftermath and the character forgotten in the space of a few days. It was so ridiculous you'd think Deena had pissed them off.
  • stitcherjennystitcherjenny Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Viv Emmerdale and Pauline Eastenders were both very poor.
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even a fan of Emmerdale, watch it now and again, but thought Viv and Terry's deaths were awful. For long running characters who had been in the show such a long time to not even really get an exit scene was shocking, and then an offscreen funeral.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale's Viv and Terry's exits were poor. I was glad to see the back of them (especially Viv, who I couldn't stand anyway) but we could have at least seen their doomed attempts to escape the fire.

Another vote for EE's Pauline, too.

Hollyoaks' Mandy: should have become a shock victim of Silas during her last feeble return.
  • MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Janice Battersby's was appauling after 15 years of service in Corrie.

Mercedes McQueen, Amy Barnes and Mandy Richardson in Hollyoaks also deserved much better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stella was on the show just shy of three years- not exactly long running.

But she was incredibly prominent during her time on the show and was involved with the big storylines. Her exit was an insult!