Options

London - tube & parking or just pay London parking?

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am spending a night in London next month and have a hotel booked.

We'll be coming down in the car but parking in London is expensive - £35 for 24 hours.

The hotel is the top part of Hyde Park and we are going to the Royal Albert Hall which is the bottom part of Hyde Park. Its for one night so will we need tube passes? Is it ok to walk through Hyde Park at night after the show?

Or will it be better to go to a tube station, park there and tube it in? Im wondering if this will be more economical (car park fees, plus tube tickets for two days for two people) or if we might as well pay the £35 if we dont need tube passes to get from hotel to R.A.H?

Anyone got any advice please

Comments

• Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What part of the country are you coming from? Which station do you intend to park at? Maybe an overland station would be better for parking. People from the south west often drive to Richmond, park up and train in.
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What part of the country are you coming from? Which station do you intend to park at? Maybe an overland station would be better for parking. People from the south west often drive to Richmond, park up and train in. The tube does contact less payment now so it's simple. There's no tube passes.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Personally I'd walk if its not raining, IIRC the tube lines across the top end of Hyde Park are Central Line, and the bottom Piccadilly Line, so it's a bit of a faff changing lines etc, and driving to a Piccadilly Line tube, I think the parking would be a nightmare and expensive. If you don't fancy a walk through the park at night (and to be honest, I've no idea what it's like late at night - it may even be shut) or round the edges, I'd just get a black cab, more expensive then a tube ticket, but probably cheaper then driving, parking and tube ticket.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hyde Park is open until midnight, again no idea what it is like to walk through at night, but there is a main road that you could stick to that cuts through the middle of the Park, more or less starts opposite the Royal Albert Hall.

Which is better value hard to say, depending what else you plan to do, for example a day travelcard is £12.00 each (zone 1-4) so that is £24.00...and depending on the hotel you are staying there are some NCP car parks in the area (eg Arthurs Court) that are about £26.00 for 24 hours.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I am spending a night in London next month and have a hotel booked.

We'll be coming down in the car but parking in London is expensive - £35 for 24 hours.

The hotel is the top part of Hyde Park and we are going to the Royal Albert Hall which is the bottom part of Hyde Park. Its for one night so will we need tube passes? Is it ok to walk through Hyde Park at night after the show?

Or will it be better to go to a tube station, park there and tube it in? Im wondering if this will be more economical (car park fees, plus tube tickets for two days for two people) or if we might as well pay the £35 if we dont need tube passes to get from hotel to R.A.H?

Anyone got any advice please

Leave the car at the hotel and use public transport from then on. London transport is simply in a different league from the rest of the UK, including 24/7 night buses.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/maps/bus
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Single tube fares are £4.80 (but the tube shuts at night - don't know what time). Buses might be cheaper. A travelcard is roughly double the single tube fare and is more flexible.

Another option is to rent one of those blue bikes. There's a £2 charge for 24 hours, and hiring is free if not more than 30 minutes at a time. (I know there's a rental station at Marble Arch just inside the park, but don't know when the park shuts.)

But if there are two of you, then walking might be safe enough. Especially if a few hundred others are coming out of the venue at the same time.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    If you can just some by train fully. No need to bring the car.
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming from Derby, leave the car at Stanmore, enjoy the tube
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

I had to make one tube journey last Tuesday and another the next day. I didn't know I was going to be in London until a few hours before.

According to your link, an oyster card costs £3 plus postage and has to be posted, taking 2-4 days. Then, tube tickets might cost £2.30 per single journey, but the card can only be preloaded with £10. So total £13+postage if I'd ordered it a week in advance.

It was a lot simpler, and cheaper in this case, to pay for two single journeys. (Normally I'd rent a bike, or just walk, but I wasn't in the mood this time.)

Compared with the OP's other costs (eg. £35 for parking), the cost of a full price ticket is not significant and less hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are Oyster dispensers in most stations
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    There are Oyster dispensers in most stations

None of the links I looked at said you can buy a oyster card at a tube station.

Even if that was the case, there are a number of tradeoffs to consider (like the minimum expenditure required to buy the card and preload it, and how many journeys are likely to be done, and whether you are likely to remember to bring it with you on the next visit).

An ordinary single is the simplest for one or two journeys, even if it costs a little more.

(I wonder if they've thought about just making standard fares cheaper? In Rome I can buy a one-way metro ticket for about £1.20 and it's good for 75 minutes, I believe for a combination of bus/metro stages.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    None of the links I looked at said you can buy a oyster card at a tube station.

Even if that was the case, there are a number of tradeoffs to consider (like the minimum expenditure required to buy the card and preload it, and how many journeys are likely to be done, and whether you are likely to remember to bring it with you on the next visit).

An ordinary single is the simplest for one or two journeys, even if it costs a little more.

(I wonder if they've thought about just making standard fares cheaper? In Rome I can buy a one-way metro ticket for about £1.20 and it's good for 75 minutes, I believe for a combination of bus/metro stages.)
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I had to make one tube journey last Tuesday and another the next day. I didn't know I was going to be in London until a few hours before.

According to your link, an oyster card costs £3 plus postage and has to be posted, taking 2-4 days. Then, tube tickets might cost £2.30 per single journey, but the card can only be preloaded with £10. So total £13+postage if I'd ordered it a week in advance.

It was a lot simpler, and cheaper in this case, to pay for two single journeys. (Normally I'd rent a bike, or just walk, but I wasn't in the mood this time.)

Compared with the OP's other costs (eg. £35 for parking), the cost of a full price ticket is not significant and less hassle.

It probably would have been cheaper to buy a one day travelcard from a ticket machine, if not Oyster and they can be purchased there and then. I've bought an Oyster card for emergencies from behind a counter when I was in London, even though I live outside of zones 1-6 and pre loaded it with a fiver.

Few people pay cash fares, even if available, in London.

ETA. Where I live, I can buy a one day travelcard for about £11 (network railcard discount) at the weekends, which allows me a return trip between Luton and London, plus unlimited travel on the tube, buses, overground trains and the DLR within zones 1-6 throughout the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/Oyster_vending_machine.jpg/450px-Oyster_vending_machine.jpg

Or most new ticket machines can issue them according to a link I just read.

The idea is to stop people buying paper tickets hence why the price is rising so high.

If the Op has a contactless card they can tap that on the tube barrier and benefit from Oyster fares.

If was the OP, I'd park at Stanmore, get two Oyster cards or tap in with contactless. Tube to hotel, walk to RAH and back. See some sights and tube back to the car.

That last slog through London in a car is awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Op has a contactless card they can tap that on the tube barrier and benefit from Oyster fares.

That actually seems a better alternative to buying one-way tickets (and to buying oyster cards). If I'd known about it I'd have used it earlier this week.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do decide to drive in, it's not that difficult to find a space in a metered bay around Upper Brook St., Grosvenors Sq., Park St., Upper Grosvenor St. etc.
    If you get there after 18.30, you'll be okay to park for free until probably 08.00 the next day.
    The streets north of Oxford St. will be the same, George St., Bryanston St., Seymour St. etc.
    A black cab from Marble Arch to RAH goes about 5.80 - £6.60, failing that take the Central Line from Marble Arch to Notting Hill Gate, then the Circle or District Line to Kensington High Street, then a 10 minute walk to RAH.
    It's probably safe to walk back across Hyde Park, but I'd take a black cab, but remember, it will be on rate 3 after 10 p.m. it might be neare £10.40 - £11.20 to Marble Arch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Flipping heck - no they're not. I know the tube is a bit pricey compared to the bus but it's not a total rip off!

Apparently that's how much a single ticket costs, if you don't avail yourself of various cheaper alternatives.

I found out today (but haven't yet tried) that using a contactless card at a barrier will work and you pay the same fare as on an oyster card (£2.30 or £2.90 iirc), but use the same card to buy a paper ticket at a machine, and it will cost £4.80! (I didn't realise that paper was quite that expensive.)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/Oyster_vending_machine.jpg/450px-Oyster_vending_machine.jpg

Or most new ticket machines can issue them according to a link I just read.

The idea is to stop people buying paper tickets hence why the price is rising so high.

If was the OP, I'd park at Stanmore, get two Oyster cards or tap in with contactless. Tube to hotel, walk to RAH and back. See some sights and tube back to the car.

That last slog through London in a car is awful.

the problem with contactless is there is no limit to the daily fares. With oyster, you can capped to a maximum amount per day regardless of the number of journeys. Contactless will keep billing you unless you reach your daily contact less limit which I think is around £20.

You can order oyster online if you want to do it before you travel, else you can get them at ticket offices.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flipping heck - no they're not. I know the tube is a bit pricey compared to the bus but it's not a total rip off!

I think it is £4.80 for a single journey ticket (in zone 1) if you pay with cash. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Contactless caps at the same point as Oyster now. Has done for a few weeks.

Who uses cash on the tube? I guess if you do that you deserve to pay more. No doubt they'll stop it at some point like they have on the buses.

Hardly anybody uses cash nowadays - but if you do then it is £4.80 thank you very much. :o It's a complete rip-off, but more than likely (as has already been mentioned) set so high to gently persuade people not to buy paper tickets.
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    the problem with contactless is there is no limit to the daily fares. With oyster, you can capped to a maximum amount per day regardless of the number of journeys. Contactless will keep billing you unless you reach your daily contact less limit which I think is around £20.

You can order oyster online if you want to do it before you travel, else you can get them at ticket offices.

If you have a contactless bank card then I would use that as opposed to faffing with an Oyster card - the costs are the same and it saves the hassle of having to think how much to top up, and having to buy the card itself.

You might as well use something that you have, rather than adding another item to your wallet and having it lurk in a draw with unused money or having to chase for a refund.

Their computer system calculates the fares and caps it at the appropriate rate for the day and also for the week, and you can also view the history online if you register your bank card.

As for driving into London - it's not as bad as people make it out to be, but it's certainly not for the faint hearted or nervous driver.

Parking in Central London is generally free after 18.30 in most places north of Oxford Street on weekdays & Saturday. Sundays are generally free all day - but always check the local restrictions on the signage and do not park in residents' only bays at any time as they apply 24/7 unless otherwise stated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a good idea. If you're going to take up the time of 2 people getting through the barriers then you pay for 2 people. :cool:

I never thought of it like that. :)
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good idea. If you're going to take up the time of 2 people getting through the barriers then you pay for 2 people. :cool:

You don't though as you still have to get a ticket from the machine and put that through the barrier. So yes, you have to go to the machine to get your ticket but it doesn't take any longer at the actual barrier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly anybody uses cash nowadays - but if you do then it is £4.80 thank you very much.

I couldn't even pay the £4.80 in cash as the machines only took cards. It was still £4.80.. (The first time I used the tube, a single fare was 6d, so it now costs 200 times as much.)

No, inserting a ticket into a slot doesn't take noticeably longer than using a card. And it wouldn't take any longer than a paper Travelcard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hardly anybody uses cash nowadays - but if you do then it is £4.80 thank you very much. :eek: It's a complete rip-off, but more than likely (as has already been mentioned) set so high to gently persuade people not to buy paper tickets.

You can still buy paper tickets (one day travelcards) from outside of zones 1-6 in the former NSE area and they are similarly priced to Oyster in terms of capping. For me coming from Luton it's a no brainer to buy a ODE, even if I'm only making one return journey within the zonal area. I haven't paid for a zones 1-6 fare with cash for the best part of 20 years.