Options

BBC director general admits Christianity gets tougher treatment

Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9107689/Mark-Thompson-BBC-director-general-admits-Christianity-gets-tougher-treatment.html

Before anyone accuses me of being outraged and just wanting to bash the BBC, I'm not and I don't. But I do find something rather saddening about this and feel like it's a bit of a betrayl, a slap in the face.

It's a shame Christians don't stand up for themselves more. There are still older people around who value their Christian upbringing, or people like me who believe all religions should get fair treatment.

Comments

• Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9107689/Mark-Thompson-BBC-director-general-admits-Christianity-gets-tougher-treatment.html

Before anyone accuses me of being outraged and just wanting to bash the BBC, I'm not and I don't. But I do find something rather saddening about this and feel like it's a bit of a betrayl, a slap in the face.

It's a shame Christians don't stand up for themselves more. There are still older people around who value their Christian upbringing, or people like me who believe all religions should get fair treatment.
    Considering that about 90% of the BBC's religious output is still based around Christianity I would say this is nonsense.
  • Options
    Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member

Remind me, what is it Christians are meant to do if they receive a slap in the face...

The DG's just saying that because of its place in British society and history, lack of tendency towards extremism and lack of identification with any specific ethnic groups, Christianity is much more likely to be satirised than other religions.

This is actually a good reflection on Christianity.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what are Christians meant to do to stand up for themselves?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should have known these would be the sort of replies I get. You really can't say anything critical of the BBC or attempt to be rational about religion at all on DS.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should have known these would be the sort of replies I get. You really can't say anything critical of the BBC or attempt to be rational about religion at all on DS.

I am being rational about religion.

As I asked what are Christians meant to do to stand up for themselves?
  • Options
    DazinhoDazinho Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was quite a good interview. I thought it was complementary to Christianity, and honest about The Jerry Springer Opera. It does highlight how you have to look at the reactions of followers of different faiths when deciding what to broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I asked what are Christians meant to do to stand up for themselves?

Make their voices heard once in a while like the minorities always do?
  • Options
    Forum Member

My response was perfectly rational.

Your criticism of the BBC is based on a misunderstanding. It is to Christianity's credit, not the BBC's detriment, that it is a religion that can take satirising.

When it comes to Christians making their own case, they do.

Look, here's something from yesterday.
  • Options
    xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, they did just spend like a billion pounds on those new buildings in Machester, maybe they didn't want someone flying a plane into them.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make their voices heard once in a while like the minorities always do?

The minorities shout loudest because they heard the least.......................Britain, if it is put into a religious box, is still mainly Christian. There is no need for Christians to shout out as:

a) It isn't the Christian way
    b) There are largely represented by the bishops and churches, even in the House of Lords.
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The minorities shout loudest because they heard the least.......................Britain, if it is put into a religious box, is still mainly Christian. There is no need for Christians to shout out as:

a) It isn't the Christian way
    It used to be the Christian way. It is up to other religions to catch up. They aren't likely to do that as long as everyone else tiptoes around them and takes care not to upset them.
  • Options
    PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Lazlo. I would say there's a big difference between Christianity being unfairly and unreasonably picked on, and the BBC (or any broadcaster) being more careful with other religions (most notably Islam) because that religion has an extremist element that Christianity doesn't. And Laura - just because people disagree with you certainly diesn't make them irrational, and not had anyone suggested that you are being irrational.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giving into threats of violence used to be called appeasment and it was a dirty word. Unfortunately it results in a situation where criticism is withheld, even to the point of not saying that what someone says or does is actually against their own holy writings because any criticim is taken as blasphemy. Many religions for example say that women should obey men, but also say that men must "respect" women, yet some adherants think it OK to starve a wife who refuses sex on demand, conveniently forgetting half the equation.
  • Options
    SchnableSchnable Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "rational about religion"

Now I can see at least two words there that should never be put in the same sentence.

Religion is irrational blind belief in an unsupported story.

I think people will take religion seriously when it it does behave rationally and backs up its claims for this God. Until then, no religion should be given the time of day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is a little worrying that the BBC are terrified of insulting any minority group but are perfectly fine with mocking any major group in society (as long as they don't threaten violence in which case any insults are forbidden).
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... or attempt to be rational about religion at all on DS.
    Some might say that religion is irrational anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xflare wrote: »
    Well, they did just spend like a billion pounds on those new buildings in Machester, maybe they didn't want someone flying a plane into them.

Except that they didn't - the buildings (Salford) are leased from Peel Media, and the fitting-out costs would have been incurred whilst upgrading and maintaining existing studio complexes anyway.

As for the "billion pounds":
    The cost of the move to MediaCityUK is under £200m which includes the recent additions such as BBC Breakfast. This figure represents the cost of the transition project, relocation and redundancy packages for staff, and the installation of new technology.

We have committed to recouping the cost over twenty years and if possible will reduce the payback period significantly by fully occupying our more cost-effective buildings and introducing more efficient ways of working.

The National Audit Office report on BBC Estates quoted a figure of £877m. However, this covers the 20-year running costs of the five departments moving to Salford Quays and includes lease costs and ongoing operational and technology costs. If these departments remain in London their running costs will be higher. The costs of running Salford Quays are lower because there are significant savings in sharing studios, phasing out London Weighting, occupying energy-efficient buildings and selling existing properties. These savings will be invested in programme making.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/bbcnorth/about.shtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smc81 wrote: »
    I think it is a little worrying that the BBC are terrified of insulting any minority group but are perfectly fine with mocking any major group in society (as long as they don't threaten violence in which case any insults are forbidden).

Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smc81 wrote: »
    But that statement seems to be true of British society in general, it is not restricted to broadcasting (and yes, I include all broadcasters, not just the BBC)
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Tell something new, Christianity has been treated that way for decades and not just by the BBC.

I see it in a positive way because it shows that Christians can turn the other cheek, unlike one other religion I can think of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Park pointed out this hypocrisy between religions perfectly, the studio refused to show muhammed at all (despite the fact he was in a previous episode and no one said a word) yet they would allow jesus to be shown shitting on other people.

Im not even religious but christianity is the equivalent of the white male in todays society where anything goes, its the PC nation we live in unfortunately. I just treat them all the same and dont care if Im labelled sexist or racist because that just means thats exactly what the accuser is if its ok to take the piss out of men or christianity but not ok to take the piss out of women, jews or muslims.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    South Park pointed out this hypocrisy between religions perfectly, the studio refused to show muhammed at all (despite the fact he was in a previous episode and no one said a word) yet they would allow jesus to be shown shitting on other people.

Im not even religious but christianity is the equivalent of the white male in todays society where anything goes, its the PC nation we live in unfortunately. I just treat them all the same and dont care if Im labelled sexist or racist because that just means thats exactly what the accuser is if its ok to take the piss out of men or christianity but not ok to take the piss out of women, jews or muslims.

The difference is that we aren't dealing with the legacy of several centuries of prejudice and dehumanisation of white Christian males.

As a well-off white male from a Christian background, I'm never going to feel persecuted or discriminated against because of my background. And even if that did happen, it would be stacked against the colossal list of benefits I get just from chance genetic circumstances.

Bias doesn't exist in a vacuum. You can't just decide that other people's history doesn't count and we're all going to start over equal now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lazlo Wolf wrote: »
    . You can't just decide that other people's history doesn't count and we're all going to start over equal now.

That is exactly why racism exists.

In the US they are giving black student preference over white students with higher grades.

That will then justify white people not giving black people jobs and so the circle continues.

The Irish were repressed here for a long time, my mother told me she saw signs saying "No dogs, no blacks, no Irish" when she was young but they seem to have gotten over it and are equals to us and thats because they are treated no differently to us.

It will never change until everyone is equal, no agendas, no quotas. Just treat everyone the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    That is exactly why racism exists.

In the US they are giving black student preference over white students with higher grades.

That will then justify white people not giving black people jobs and so the circle continues.

The Irish were repressed here for a long time, my mother told me she saw signs saying "No dogs, no blacks, no Irish" when she was young but they seem to have gotten over it and are equals to us and thats because they are treated no differently to us.

It will never change until everyone is equal, no agendas, no quotas. Just treat everyone the same.

Er, and why did the black students get their lower grades? Might it be because of the legacy of discrimination? And might they still be chronically under-represented in higher education and over-represented in the prison population?

Do they get to sit easier exams at university?

The reason prejudice against the Irish diminished is because other, more obviously 'different' immigrants came to the country, so racists has a new target.

Seriously, as a white guy (that's a guess, but I'm right) you do not get to say "Sorry about all the previous racism, but we've stopped that now so we're all equal. No, you can't have any assistance to get out from the legacy of that. No, of course we're not going to give up the advantages we got from it. That would be unfair."

I recommend this website. And also maybe having a think.