Coast Australia

mountymounty Posts: 19,141
Forum Member
✭✭
New BBC series with Oliver and friends

but why is it only 50 minutes long? All they're doing is playing 10 mins of repeats to pad out the hour :confused:

Comments

• Spdub2Spdub2 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    mounty wrote: »
    New BBC series with Oliver and friends

but why is it only 50 minutes long? All they're doing is playing 10 mins of repeats to pad out the hour :confused:

My guess is that it was actually made for Australian TV
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spdub2 wrote: »
    My guess is that it was actually made for Australian TV

Yes, that's right. The format was sold to Australia and now the BBC have bought it back: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldwide/171213coast

Don't mind the short repeats as long as they feature Dr Alice. ;-) (or Professor as she is now)
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50 thousand years old.. now hold on a minute while I wap some paint on it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coast is the reason HD television was invented.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only I could win the lottery, I'm desperate to visit Australia, but no way can I afford it.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So in reality, only some parts are 50 000 years old....
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    We need to see the short-haired blond lady in a wet suit before we can decide if this is up to the original UK programme. Neil Oliver in an old-fashioned diving suit is just not the same. ;)
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish they would go back to using Nicholas Crane as the main presenter. He's MUCH better than the prissy Neil Oliver.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in reality, only some parts are 50 000 years old....

yeah the parts under fresh paint :p
    Forum Member
    Like Trigger's broom? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I presume that the Aborigines had been touching up the paint for countless generations. If they had left such exposed artwork alone then it would have faded away thousands of years ago.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Like Trigger's broom? :D

That's what my hubby and I both said :D
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did not know this was on but will catch up with on iplayer hd hopefully.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The area they visited last night was 3 times the size England, but with a population of 40 000 - sounds like paradise!
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I presume that the Aborigines had been touching up the paint for countless generations. If they had left such exposed artwork alone then it would have faded away thousands of years ago.

Exactly. The originality of the images isn't what's important. It's all about the story they tell, and about each generation maintaining the tradition and culture. Judging the images as "art" according to western values is ridiculous.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was quite interesting last night to see Australia's coasts.
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,535
    Forum Member
    Loving this new series, but I do hope they do return to the UK for future series, there must be countless tales to tell.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was quite interesting last night to see Australia's coasts.

Amazing how they found another rock formation to spell out the full name of the series! :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Loving this new series, but I do hope they do return to the UK for future series, there must be countless tales to tell.

I'd be happy to see more overseas series. It's a format which is easily transportable to almost anywhere in the world (apart from maybe Switzerland!).
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far, it's been visually stunning. What a country! What a lucky b*gger that Neil Oliver is. If there's any justice, he'll have gone bald on the plane on the way back.

I keep getting confused between the two woman presenters who both have short blonde hair. I think one's Australian/Kiwi and one isn't? I'm too busy being stunned by the scenery to get the humans in proper focus.
    Forum Member
    Whichever one it was they don't fill a wet suit quite the way our Alice does. :cool: