Options

People who stuff their faces in public

Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else find it gross? I sat near someone on a bus recently who spent the whole journal stuffing huge bites of some kind of Subway wrap into her gob and I couldn't stop cringing.

Am I weird for finding this kind of thing so off-putting?

Comments

• Options
    radio-oneradio-one Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    Laura P wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it gross? I sat near someone on a bus recently who spent the whole journal stuffing huge bites of some kind of Subway wrap into her gob and I couldn't stop cringing.

You are weird :D
  • Options
    BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't usually mind when people eat in public, It's when they eat in a disgusting way and really loud that I hate it!
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    It's even worse when people stare at you when you eat
  • Options
    EyeOfTheStormEyeOfTheStorm Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What annoys me are people in fish and chip shops who start shoving the stuff down their throats before they even leave the shop.
  • Options
    Aaron.BishopAaron.Bishop Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »

Yes. Shouldn't of constantly been staring at her for the duration of the journey while eating; I have been told that it's rude! But. However, what I find annoying the most is that when people tip there crisp packet in to there mouth so they can try to fit every little crisp into their mouth too.
    Bunnyfoo wrote: »
    I don't usually mind when people eat in public, It's when they eat in a disgusting way and really loud that I hate it!

Indeed. :D
  • Options
    scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on a bus and this ignorant hog couldnt be arsed to give up her seat to this old lady,she was too busy stuffing her face with a kfc.
    I dont have a problem with people really eating in public,its more being stuck in an enclosed space,especially if the food stinks.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean you don't like watching people eat, or are you talking about seeing bad eating habits?
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    There is someone at my work who I see almost every day in the canteen and she always has a massive plate of food. She then smothers it in salt, makes me feel so sick. Heart attack waiting to happen.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I don't eat when I am out and about at least I haven't recently but I don't think it's that bad if other people do it really, what I can't abide is when people have a bag of chips with vinegar on, it smells so nice.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    You know what Laura, times have changed a lot.

I'm not that old - 55 - but when I was young it was considered very bad manners to eat in the street. You just didn't do it.

Now, we all eat on the hoof and it's only considered out of order if you're a bit fat to begin with or you don't eat nicely.

When and why did it become ok to eat in the street?

I actually think it's one of the reasons why obesity is becoming a problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    It only bothers me in a confined space, like on a train. I don't know how people can eat messy food when they're crammed in amongst other people like that. I couldn't, I'd be too worried about getting it all over me with people staring. :o
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    People who stuff their faces in public

Who stuff their faces in public what? Toilets?
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Fat person in the office who always has food piled up on their desk and is the first inline whenever sweets and chocolates are being left out!.. And the look they give you when you go up yourself to get some
  • Options
    Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot eat when in public. I just get concious that everyone is looking at me and what I'm eating, the worst is something like an ice cream. :D
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    You know what Laura, times have changed a lot.

I'm not that old - 55 - but when I was young it was considered very bad manners to eat in the street. You just didn't do it.

Now, we all eat on the hoof and it's only considered out of order if you're a bit fat to begin with or you don't eat nicely.

When and why did it become ok to eat in the street?

I actually think it's one of the reasons why obesity is becoming a problem.
    When it became acceptable for work places to continually shorten a lunch hour. There's one place that someone I know works at, and they only have 25 minutes for lunch. Given that the place doesn't have a work canteen, they literally have to get to the shop for their food and then hot foot it back while eating. Granted, she could do a packed lunch, but even then 25 minutes is hardly time to eat.

I'll occasionally grab a Maccy Ds or something and nom it on the move, although that's got more to do with not enjoying being sat in a fast food joint on my own and having nothing to look at while eating. If I've got the Guardian or a magazine or something, I'll sit in and eat.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what I find annoying the most is that when people tip there crisp packet in to there mouth so they can try to fit every little crisp into their mouth too.

Guilty! I do this in private and on the train.

I eat anywhere in public, often stuffing my face. I'm greedy and cannot wait til I get home to eat. I have no shame.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the eating at all. It's afterwards when they use their finger as a toothpick. Any food that is picked is then wiped on the tongue and re-eaten.

I saw a guy doing just this on the tube last week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's annoying on a bus, but when I'm actually in a place like Subway or at a bus stop it doesn't bother me for some reason.

Crisps and chewing gum are bloody annoying, too! >_<;;
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    I don't like eating in public, like on a bus or a train; I don't like the idea of people staring, I'm happy to wait until I get home or to work! I don't like eating and walking either as I see a lot of people doing. I prefer to sit down and eat my food, call me old fashioned.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I am a bit funny about eating outdoors because of the danger of swooping birds, I wouldn't let my kids eat sausage rolls walking along the High Street put it that way, well they could but not if they were walking beside me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    The Fat person in the office who always has food piled up on their desk and is the first inline whenever sweets and chocolates are being left out!.. And the look they give you when you go up yourself to get some

I got a visit from him today. Someone had bought donuts and biccies and put them on the desk next to me. So he visited me several times.

I do so enjoy listening to him nom nomming and chewing the cud in between deep breaths.

By all means stuff your face. Just do it at your desk fatty.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My pet hate is seeing toddlers in push chairs clutching a Greggs bag. Or sausage roll.

The fattest person I know was always too self conscious to eat at all in public, and it was very noticeable. If you went to Starbucks with her she'd have a tea whilst I had a double fatty fat cappuccino full of chocolate and cream and stuff, and would prissily proclaim she was having a tea, and 'Look at me i only drink tea' etc etc. The rigmarole about how restrained she was being was so cringemaking I always wanted to say just have a bloody mocha grande, you know you would if I wasn't with you!

But now she's met the lerve of her life who is same kinda size and it's all the brakes off. We went somewhere with them in the summer and it was , within a couple of hours, cakes, a (giant) bag of sweets, hot dogs/burgers, more cakes, ice cream.... Clearly there's been a relaxation. I dunno what is worse though, the endless self conscious bleating about eating/drinking like a supermodel, or the endless public bingeing. Maybe the happy medium's hard to find.

Eating in public amongst older people is a class thing, I suspect. Mr H from a firmly working class family - his mother was a total inverted snob and was mortified to be seen eating in the street so wouldn't even have fish n chips out of the paper, on holiday... My family, much more middle class and my parents never cared if we ate fish n chips in the street... It's one of those interesting little distinctions that has faded.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    It's a cultural thing.

It's a big taboo in some parts of Italy to eat in public/ whilst walking down the street (indeed that's why many Italians believe Northern European's have higher obesity rates- because of the leniency involved with public eating!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it always shocks me when you see fat people walking down the street scoffing a bag of chips, or a pastie, etc.

I know they are entitled to eat... and that may be their one treat after eating salads every day for the past month.... but if I was overweight or obese, I would be far too conscious to do that
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate seeing people eating in the street. Eating should be done from a table.