58-stone Keith is so huge he needs 18 carers to keep him alive

Comments

• LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Why are the carers doing this to him? Giving this chap fatty food is like giving an alcoholic booze, if a carer was doing that they would be rightly criticised for it. Why do we treat one condition so differently from the other?
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    He'd probably die on the operating table, it is not as if those hot dogs will stop him completely hating every second of his life and wishing he was different.

I think somewhere mental health has to be an issue even if that is "only" a food addiction.

I feel very sorry for him.

It seems that the death of his mother triggered it or at least that's what he claims.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Can't understand why we have a society which is ok with women having fat sucked out of their bodies for cosmetic vanity reasons, but the same process cannot be used to get rid of this guys fat for health reasons.

Because rightly or wrongly we live in a society where people are allowed to make their own choices. As far as I know the state can't force the vain to have lipo to get a flat stomach and nor can it force fat people to have it either, nor can it stand over people 24/7 monitoring what they put in their mouths.

Although in extreme cases like this I think there is a case for declaring him mentally incompetant and forcing him to accept help but given the amount of moaning there is about "nanny state" when campaigns such as lowering salt consumption or eating 5 a day are run can you imagine the uproar if the food police were set up!
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I really think those who continue to feed people like him with vast amounts of food should be held accountable by the law. Ultimately he is the one eating it, but they are enabling and directly contributing to his early death,
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Can't understand why we have a society which is ok with women having fat sucked out of their bodies for cosmetic vanity reasons, but the same process cannot be used to get rid of this guys fat for health reasons.

Even for vanity reasons, I believe you have to lose some weight of your own volition before having liposuction performed. Removing the fat from this guy's stomach, thighs etc. won't do anything about the fat clogging up his arteries and organs.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    I really think those who continue to feed people like him with vast amounts of food should be held accountable by the law. Ultimately he is the one eating it, but they are enabling and directly contributing to his early death,

I totally agree, they are supposed to be his carers!?

The thing is though, they won't be able to just put him on 2,000 calorie diet from 20,000, it would have to be gradual. But they could surely start feeding him salads with his takeaway, that would be a start and maybe not give him any hotdogs til he's eaten 3 pieces of fruit or something.

I don't feel sorry for him. I don't look down on him either, but I feel no sadness for him. Am I a bad person....:o
  • Butcher BillButcher Bill Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should be sectioned and put on a diet prescribed by doctors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Give him help or put him down

Do you really mean that?
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    missy83 wrote: »
    It seems that the death of his mother triggered it or at least that's what he claims.

Why, did he eat her?
  • *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Give him help or put him down

Put him down where?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think in this sort of situation, as has been suggested, some kind of 'psyche hold' (as they apparently call it in the states) should be made so help can be forced on him.

but then I guess it's like any addiction, it's not like he could simply stop eating. he'd need to have his food intake reduced gradually, as well as whatever other measures need taking.
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    58-stone Keith is so huge he needs 18 caterers to keep him alive
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I totally agree, they are supposed to be his carers!?

The thing is though, they won't be able to just put him on 2,000 calorie diet from 20,000, it would have to be gradual. But they could surely start feeding him salads with his takeaway, that would be a start and maybe not give him any hotdogs til he's eaten 3 pieces of fruit or something.

I don't feel sorry for him. I don't look down on him either, but I feel no sadness for him. Am I a bad person....:o

legally he has human rights which stop his carers from doing it as i have stated previously abeilt a different situation, you can try a section hold but when assessed the outcome will be in his favour just as it is a lot of time when people have on set dementia they pass assessment mentally which is blooming annoying

doesnt stop his sisters though they can do what they like and give him lots of food but healthy
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Says Victoria sponge :D:D:D
    I don't get it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I'm amazed at how he's still alive tbh..
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it.

He was attempting a gag based on your food-sounding name ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

very good.
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does he empty his bowels? I can't see that he'd be able to balance on a bedpan or a commode. Or even a toilet. He must have to do something about the amount of food that passes through his system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    How does he empty his bowels? I can't see that he'd be able to balance on a bedpan or a commode. Or even a toilet. He must have to do something about the amount of food that passes through his system.

I imagine it emerges from whatever crease or fold it can squeeze through.
    Forum Member

Cameron and co would give him a tax break if he paid tax. Only if he paid his caterers minimum wage and they lived in his basement though.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that strike me while I was looking at those pictures is that he looks sad and miserable in that bed.Surely someone cant be content with that lifestyle:(:(. .Seriously , how can someone do that much damage on his body:(:(?
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine it emerges from whatever crease or fold it can squeeze through.

omg the image:eek::eek::eek:, Urghhhhh!
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should be sectioned and put on a diet prescribed by doctors.

Possibly the best idea, especially if his carers are feeding him takeaways when hes 60 stone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Cameron and co would give him a tax break if he paid tax. Only if he paid his caterers minimum wage and they lived in his basement though.

Wow. Couldn't see how this could develop into an anti politician thread but there you go.....
    Forum Member
    rallsopp wrote: »
    Wow. Couldn't see how this could develop into an anti politician thread but there you go.....

Not anti-politician, just anti-Tory.