Confused about Multi Region Blu-Ray

There are lots of multi-region Blu-Ray players available but the small print often reveals that some of them are only multi-regional for DVD playback and on Amazon there's a disclaimer that despite all the wonderful specs, they'll only playback discs coded for Europe.
What I'm after is a Blu-Ray player which will play US 3D Blu-Ray discs, preferably LG and also play video files from an external HD.
All advice welcome.

Comments

• uniqueunique Posts: 12,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    multi-region is typically what you refer to in regards to dvd

multi-zone generally refers to the blu ray equivalent

if you type multi-zone bluray into google you will find some players

but what is your budget?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These people appear to have a few multi region Blu-Ray players on offer.

http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=159

Not cheap though, £160 upwards...
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    There are lots of multi-region Blu-Ray players available but the small print often reveals that some of them are only multi-regional for DVD playback and on Amazon there's a disclaimer that despite all the wonderful specs, they'll only playback discs coded for Europe.
    Region zoning is not used as extensively on BluRays as it was on DVDs!

However you are correct - very many BluRays players can be easily made multiregion for DVDs only.
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I can recommend http://www.mrmdvd.com as I have purchased several players from them and they have all worked well. Their fully modified players play any region DVD automatically and you switch the player to standby and press 1,2 or 3 on the remote to set the BD region to A,B or C.

Coding isn't as prevalent on BD but I myself couldn't have a crippled player as I have always had a multi-region DVD and you can buy any discs without worrying about the region code.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    What I'm after is a Blu-Ray player which will play US 3D Blu-Ray discs, preferably LG and also play video files from an external HD.
    All advice welcome.

Is this new player for discs you have now or future purchases?

Are you wanting multiregion to take advantage of early release dates?

I use a few sites to check region coding before I buy, I find most if not all are now region free, with the odd exception of course.

The site below may be of some help.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my PC and anydvd for Multi Region used to use my main PS3 but sold it now.
    I use a HDMI cable to the TV to.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use my PC and anydvd for Multi Region used to use my main PS3 but sold it now.
    I use a HDMI cable to the TV to.

Sadly the laptop is too old and the TV is too new. Plus no 3D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Is this new player for discs you have now or future purchases?

Are you wanting multiregion to take advantage of early release dates?

I use a few sites to check region coding before I buy, I find most if not all are now region free, with the odd exception of course.

The site below may be of some help.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

There are a couple of vintage 3D movies being released on Blu-Ray in the US which will be coded for the US. The chances of a European release are slim to none so I thought a multi-region player might be a good idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    multi-region is typically what you refer to in regards to dvd

multi-zone generally refers to the blu ray equivalent

if you type multi-zone bluray into google you will find some players

but what is your budget?

Price isn't an issue, within reason. I just don't want to find I've bought something which doesn't do what I expect.