Options

Rock N' Chips - only fools prequel, this Sunday 24th January 2010 (discussion)

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnson293 wrote: »
    My only 'complaint' is that I think it may have been better using a different actor with a resemblance of Rodney, rather than Nicholas Lyndhurst himself, as viewers were always gonna compare his performance with those of Rodney - and in OFAH reality, Rodney is clearly nothing like Freddie Robdal, as he never knew him, and grew up with Del.

Can't really agree with you there as it was Nicholas Lyndhurst himself that appeared in the photograph as Freddie the Frog in the original OFAH. It would seem odd to have another actor play him after that.

Rodney isn't like Freddie, but it was confirmed Freddie was his father at the end of the series. Also, in the cemetry right at the end of the last episode of OFAH, Rodney was worried that he was like Freddie in more ways than his looks & Del assured him he was like his father in looks only, and definitely nothing like him in other respects.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I liked about what Del told Rodney, was that he'd obviously only heard about Freddie The Frog from others, and not his Mum, who'd have painted him in a more positive light, I'm sure.
  • Options
    SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    One thing I liked about what Del told Rodney, was that he'd obviously only heard about Freddie The Frog from others, and not his Mum, who'd have painted him in a more positive light, I'm sure.

Yes, and it was nice to see that Freddie really did care for Joan.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sparkles wrote: »
    Rodney isn't like Freddie, but it was confirmed Freddie was his father at the end of the series. Also, in the cemetry right at the end of the last episode of OFAH, Rodney was worried that he was like Freddie in more ways than his looks & Del assured him he was like his father in looks only, and definitely nothing like him in other respects.

Agreed, and there was nothing in NL's performance as Freddie that made me think of Rodney, not even for a moment.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, and there was nothing in NL's performance as Freddie that made me think of Rodney, not even for a moment.

Finally got round to watching R&C tonight, and thought it very good indeed.

With all the pre prog slagging this got, I very nearly deleted it from my HDD, but was glad I didnt.

NL was great as "Freddie the Frog", and for all the negative comments, Phil Daniels played grandad well. I thought the character of Joan was touchingly naive, and the only character that I thought weak was Boycie.

Certainly I have to say, a series would be wrong, but as a Xmas special?. Well maybe a couple would be OK.

All round, well done beeb.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    This is about to start now on BBC1 for those who missed it or fancy having a late night gander. :)
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed the programme :) I liked the way Joan was portrayed, you can understand why Del had her on a pedestal. She was definitely the most glam in her street by miles but also a very caring and hard working person who put up with a layabout husband, as many did then. I always had the impression she was a bit of a slapper but this drama showed that wasn't true at all, she just wasn't happy in her marrige and was tempted into an affair and married to that lazy, good for nothing - who could blame her? I mean she definitely wasn't going to go with that disgusting manager at the cinema was she! :eek:

I have to say I thought NL was excellent as Freddie. I never thought of Rodney until he was actually born! I got very excited when she took him out onto the balcony talking to him almost perfectly echoing what Del did when Damien was born :)

Being a massive fan of OFAH I enjoyed seeing Boycie, Trigger, Denzil etc when they were young and also a younger Grandad. Plus the Nags Head in earlier days.

It was more gentle humour rather than massive LOL moments (apart from the clinic where that man read the women's names out wrong!) and yes I had a lump in my throat when Joan finally nodded her head at Freddie at the end :o

Good stuff, I enjoyed it!
  • Options
    chen lungchen lung Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    The sign-language version is just on and unlike the version on normally (filmised), this is presented in its interlaced state!

Had anyone else noticed this?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chen lung wrote: »
    The sign-language version is just on and unlike the version on normally (filmised), this is presented in its interlaced state!

Had anyone else noticed this?

It's quite a curious state of affairs really- the fact it was shot in Interlaced HD means that's how it was intended to be shown (as the BBC's production guildelines forbid filmising interlaced HD). The BBC HD showing, the version on the Virgin Media iPlayer and the one on now have no film effect. Only the BBC1 airing did- either filmising it was a very last minute decision (done after the signed version had been prepared- and couldn't be applied to the BBC HD version because of the production guidelines) or it was a technical problem (it's happened before). I'd personally quite like to know what the reasoning behind it is.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I know Phil Daniels is 51, and probably would have been the right age for playing Grandad's age as he was then, he looks positively babyfaced, as if he's a 20-something made up to look old!
  • Options
    chen lungchen lung Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    It's quite a curious state of affairs really- the fact it was shot in Interlaced HD means that's how it was intended to be shown (as the BBC's production guildelines forbid filmising interlaced HD). The BBC HD showing, the version on the Virgin Media iPlayer and the one on now have no film effect. Only the BBC1 airing did- either filmising it was a very last minute decision (done after the signed version had been prepared- and couldn't be applied to the BBC HD version because of the production guidelines) or it was a technical problem (it's happened before). I'd personally quite like to know what the reasoning behind it is.
    It could have been shot 1080p 50fps - think that's the European recommended standard as well?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chen lung wrote: »
    It could have been shot 1080p 50fps - think that's the European recommended standard as well?

I don't think that standard actually exists yet. 720p50 does, but I don't think the BBC allow it (I did read the guidelines a year or so back, can't remember exactly what they said now). If they wanted it to have the film look, it would have been shot at 25p anyway.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I have to say I thought NL was excellent as Freddie. I never thought of Rodney until he was actually born! I got very excited when she took him out onto the balcony talking to him almost perfectly echoing what Del did when Damien was born :)

I also thought that ending was a nice touch.

And to all those who didnt like NL in his part....:p
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching this now.
    That bit was funny - where the hospital fella was calling out the names - "MINGE. I'm looking for Minge" :D
  • Options
    anonyyanonyy Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah i wasn't impressed with the clips but watched it, it was somewhat funny but it should have been done better.

just goes to show how we create and act things today are NEVER as good as they were in the past.
  • Options
    Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Just watched this also, We really enjoyed it.
    Nice in HD too:)
  • Options
    Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thougt it was great, have watched it 4 times now. I could see it coming back as a series for 6 1 hour shows by Xmas time. The show had very little of Del really, I guess the series would become more centred on him.
    Felt like a humourous Eastenders, Nicholas Lyndhurst was Really Very Good, Joan was very sexy, music was great too:D
  • Options
    CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching this now.
    That bit was funny - where the hospital fella was calling out the names - "MINGE. I'm looking for Minge" :D

Aren't we all?:D
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I thought this prequel had a definate 'Heartbeat esque' feel about it, with a fantastic 60's setting. The 60's music inbetween added that bit more nostalgia to the special.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching this now.

"Cock!"

"That's 'Cook'!"

Watched it yesterday and really enjoyed it.

I glad they didn't try to make it like an episode of OFAH although some of the humour was of the same style.

Liked the potrayal of all the characters we knew later on. you could see grandad developing into what he became, and the same applied to the others - even Boycie uttered one line in the older Boycie voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a one off it was quite good having Nick Lyndhurst play his dad wasa a bit of inspired casting. Lyndhurst is an excellent actor & did a great job. I also liked the kid who played Slater he realy was oily asa kid & oily later in life.
    God show & should be left at that.
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got round to watching it tonight, it's been sitting on the TiVo since the night it aired.

A bit slow paced at times but I enjoyed it. Another [faster paced] 90 minute episode would be nice but I wont be disappointed if there isn't
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I finally got round to watching it last night.

I though it was very good.

NL is the only person IMO that could play Freddie.

I do hope that they make this into a series.

Much better than"The Green Grass" series which should have never been made IMO