Topfield TF5810PVR V Humax 9300.....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
Given a choice between the two above PVR's which one would you buy and why?

Any views on the reliability of either PVR would be appreciated, also views the support that is offered by the manufacturers of both PVR's as to updates ect.

Comments

• figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a Toppy (5800) for over 3 years and had no problems at all. The support is actually supplied by an online community (Toppy.org) which is much more desirable than manufacturer support - owners seem more interested. And don't forget TAPS (Similar to iPhone APPS)

If I was to buy now though, I might wait for the HD market to pick up.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I would take the Topfield over the Humax but look for a 5800 rather than a 5810.
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Agree totally with final comment in post #2 ... NEITHER.

If you want a SD pvr get a grade A 9150 from HumaxDirect.
  • Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I have both a 5800 (5 years old) and a 5810 (18 months old)
    I also had a 9300 for 3 days.
    The 5810 has an excellent picture through HDMI..and for me has been very reliable,I have a 1TB HDD fitted.
    The 5800 has had the power supply problem done by myself, and has generally been also very good.

The 9300 for me IS AWFUL..the picture through HDMI was grainy and dark, through the scart was ok.
    The guide is simply frustrating
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brava 210 wrote: »
    I have both a 5800 (5 years old) and a 5810 (18 months old)
    I also had a 9300 for 3 days.
    The 5810 has an excellent picture through HDMI..and for me has been very reliable,I have a 1TB HDD fitted.
    The 5800 has had the power supply problem done by myself, and has generally been also very good.

The 9300 for me IS AWFUL..the picture through HDMI was grainy and dark, through the scart was ok.
    The guide is simply frustrating

Now now! Don't go complaining about the terrrible HDMI picture from any of the Humax units or you'll get flamed by the Humax brigade! (I always do, which is why I have given up posting about the rubbish upscaler they use with HDMI its a waste of time. My TV has been blamed, my eyesight, that I'm a troll etc.)

GG :mad:
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    GG's post bumped.

Colin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    creddish wrote: »
    GG's post bumped.

Colin

Thank you Colin.

GG
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    Thank you Colin.

GG
    You're welcome. :). I did wonder whether I should have, after I read it.:eek:

Colin
  • Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I will say again the picture via HDMI is awful......:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brava 210 wrote: »
    I will say again the picture via HDMI is awful......:)

Well your certainly Brave Brava!

GG ;)
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 9200t and a 5810.

With Mystuff the 5810 has been remarkably stable, responsive and a pure joy to use. With no comparable HD PVR seemingly on the horizon from Topfield I'm already feeling anxious about how I'm going to cope with putting up with some OEM's own crappy software. HD Freeview seems to be years away in NI so it's not that big a deal for me.

The 9200t has been a trooper. It's a bit clunky. The EPG refresh every time you switch on is baffling and there's a hard limit on the number of series links you can have - and when it's relying on broadcasters information it seems to be quite forgetful anyway. But it's not bad.

Does the 9300 share the series link limit?