Best Baddie in a book ever?

Comments

• Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steerpike from Titus Groan and Gormenghast is a contender in my opinion. Also Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights (I know there are going to be some people out there itching to defend him but really he is the villain of the book).
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steerpike from Titus Groan and Gormenghast is a contender in my opinion. Also Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights (I know there are going to be some people out there itching to defend him but really he is the villain of the book).

Steerpike's a good one, because he's as much antihero as villain. The reason those books are great is because there aren't really ANY particularly LIKEABLE characters, but they're all endlessly fascinating and, for the most part, reasonably sympathetic.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Mrs. Danvers, Rebecca and Maxim De Winter from Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca.

Angel Claire and Alec D'Urbeville from Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbevilles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    He Who Must Not Be Named and Bellatrix LeStrange are beautifully evil :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we are including plays, I'd say Iago in Othello deserves a place with the all-time baddies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovelace from Clarissa - manipulative and ruthless in his pusuit of Clarissa, but I still couldn't help liking him
  • Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fagin and Bill Sykes (Oliver Twist)

Hannibal Lecter (Red Dragon / Silence of the Lambs)

Randal Flagg (The Stand)

The Duke and the King (Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    I'm going to say Professor Snape as he was portrayed as a baddie until his death when we found out the truth about him. I also like Bellatrix as she is unhinged and just bonkers.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Patrick Bateman, the protagonist and narrator in Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho, is either a wicked serial killer or a sick fantasist. Either way not nice.

T-Rex in Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park. Kept trying to eat everyone!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Patrick Bateman, the protagonist and narrator in Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho, is either a wicked serial killer or a sick fantasist. Either way not nice.

What we do know for sure is that he really, really likes Phil Collins and Whitney Houston. And that, for me, is by far the worst of his crimes.
  • Den WattsDen Watts Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    I'm going to say Professor Snape as he was portrayed as a baddie until his death when we found out the truth about him. I also like Bellatrix as she is unhinged and just bonkers.

Yeah even though he was a hero I still think he was a nasty person though.
    Mandark wrote: »

The film?
    He Who Must Not Be Named and Bellatrix LeStrange are beautifully evil :)

Did she love him?

When he killed Snape soo casually I was like wow you really dont give a damn about loyality
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    George in Martina Coles `Ladykiller`. A book she wrote years ago about a serial killer who pottered about in his shed, sucked his false teeth all the time, and could have been your next door neighbour. All my family have read it and said they couldn`t put it down and now it`s falling apart and most of the pages are taped together.
  • __melissa__melissa Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    moomsie wrote: »
    George in Martina Coles `Ladykiller`. A book she wrote years ago about a serial killer who pottered about in his shed, sucked his false teeth all the time, and could have been your next door neighbour. All my family have read it and said they couldn`t put it down and now it`s falling apart and most of the pages are taped together.

The minute I saw this thread, I was going to say George from The Ladykiller. I LOVED this booked and was fascinated by the character of George. There were moments when we flashed back to his childhood that I felt sorry for him and then we'd back to his present day actions and I was repulsed by him again. I wish Martina Cole still wrote books like this one. xx
  • ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Randall Flagg from the Stand, and The Mastermind from the James Patterson series of Alex Cross books. Nasty!
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely, the ultimate baddy is Satan in Paradise Lost ?

I also kinda like The Master (in "The Master"):

"The Master: 157 years old, he communicates by telepathy, which he can also use to control people's minds. He has invented a kind of vibrator-ray to take over the world."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master:_An_Adventure_Story

Fu Manchu, he was fairly fiendish ........

"A master criminal, Fu Manchu's murderous plots are marked by the extensive use of arcane methods; he disdains guns or explosives, preferring dacoits, Thuggee, and members of other secret societies as his agents armed with knives, or using "pythons and hamadryads... fungi and my tiny allies, the bacilli... my black spiders" and other peculiar animals or natural chemical weapons"

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu_Manchu

Maybe Dr Martine in Limbo? He 1st amputates all the limbs of thousands of people, then retreats to a remote island where he lobotomises everyone .........

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3ML30OZOZ43K8/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=088184327X&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly Felix Hoenikker, in Cat's Cradle. He Invents Ice Nine, which once poured into the oceans, effectively ends all life on earth ..........

I highly recommend Cat's cradle. Great Read. Particularly for the highly comical Bokononism, a pseudo-state-religion, not too dissimilar to N Korea at the moment .............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice-nine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokononism
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Pennywise the Dancing Clown, a.k.a. Mr Bob Gray, from It by Stephen King.

A murderous clown. Who eats children. Who can also turn into your worst nightmare. And is really just one form of a giant Lovecraftian spider-thing from outer space. Which drives you insane and then sort of absorbs your soul, so you float around inside of it for eternity.

Best villain ever.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Frank Herbert created two memorable villains - grotesque aristocrat Baron Harkonnen from "Dune", and psychopathic millionairess Mliss Abnethe from "Whipping Star".
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ralph Nickleby in Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby is one of my favourite fictional bad guys. He's astonishingly vindictive and selfish, but he has just enough regard for his niece and the child he fathered many years before the setting of the story to be human and not one-dimensional. The passage in which he jeers over the news that Nicholas Nickleby's young friend, Smike has died- because he knows this will grieve his hated nephew-only to end up staggering home in a daze of grief and remorse after learning Smike was his own long lost son, before hanging himself in the dead of night, is about the most poignant passage of fiction I have ever read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Surely, the ultimate baddy is Satan in Paradise Lost ?

Dude, he's the GOOD GUY!!!
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dudley Smith in James Ellroy's LA Quartet of novels (actually, I don't think he's in all of them). An absolute bastard of a corrupt cop.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lash from the blackdaggerbrotherhood series by j.r ward he was a right evil swine. a right pain in the neck :D
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I've come back to this thread with Frank's Dad from the 'Wasp Factory'. Not so much a baddie as a total monster.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Mr Harvey in The Lovely Bones. He's so creepy and weird but at the same time frighteningly real.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Begby in Trainspotting, hilarious character who is deeply psychotic / anhilistic.