Only Connect (BBC4)

Comments

• davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Anneemai wrote: »
    I am a big fan of OC.....although the questions at times are annoying.....how many people set the questions?

I write about half of them, and a team of around 30 people submit the rest.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidbod wrote: »
    Do you get 30x the fee? ;)

Could you do something like Brain of Britain or Round Britain Quiz and have a viewers' question in one of the rounds? If you couldn't manage a book token then a round of applause would be acceptable.

Also a shame the equations segment in the vowels round didn't work very well. There just wasn't enough time really to work out the exact wording.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show
    and Ms Coren :D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Drew_M wrote: »
    What a strange question tonight in R2 (the 1066, 1366, 1666, 1966 one). Did they get the rounds mixed up, because this would have worked as a R1 question (connection = each one was 300 years on from the last) but not for a R2 question. The fourth one could have been anything from 1966 and there was no other connection, so it made no sense. Plus it was too easy to guess the year after the third clue... and it had football in it. :eek:

VC seemed confused as well - as she said, the fourth one could have been anything from 1966.
    I'm not sure it's that different. In the same round a final answer to a sequence was Lima in which OC used a pic of the bean but could have been a pic of a map of Peru.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It was a shock when the radio team one. I wasn;t really counting in the final round but I was surprised when they got enough to win.

Shame for the alesmen but the wall and the final round scuppered them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria said at the begining of the show last night about a previous winner going on to be famous but she didn't say who..anyone got any idea who she was talking about or was it some sort of joke?
    Forum Member
    Victoria said at the begining of the show last night about a previous winner going on to be famous but she didn't say who..anyone got any idea who she was talking about or was it some sort of joke?

Mark Labbett, one of the series 2-winning team the Rugby Boys, is now one of the 'Chaser's on the ITV quiz of that name.
  • Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Sorry to be a pedant, but the bold bit actually defines this as a sequence rather than a connection. Those years aren't really connected because they all end in 66, but there is a definite mathematical procedure to get from one to the next. And there have been plenty of these types of sequences before, where there is one overwhelmingly obvious example which characterises the final thing. Like you said, there was no connection between the things - it was a R2 sequence, not a R1 connection - plus on top of that you had to know at least one of the first 2 dates to deduce the difference and hence the final year. Harold Wilson winning general election would presumably have been accepted, but you would have needed a researcher on hand to verify any more obscure events.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's that different. In the same round a final answer to a sequence was Lima in which OC used a pic of the bean but could have been a pic of a map of Peru.

Re the example representing the answer. In this week's episode's case, the example was the answer. In the example above, the answer was Lima and so it was fine to represent it by whatever picture (as it would have been had the answer been 1966 per se). The last sentence from the first post is what David had said, that this alternative answer would have been OK, the sentence illustrating the problem I had with the question where there were many possible answers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Labbett, one of the series 2-winning team the Rugby Boys, is now one of the 'Chaser's on the ITV quiz of that name.
    Thank you davidbod...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member

How do you become a question setter....must admit I wonder about the type of people who set them ( Imean that nicely!!)..they are so hard...but guarantee I learn something new.....when is the next series due to start, I'll be lost without my Monday night fix!...:eek:
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when is the next series due to start, I'll be lost without my Monday night fix!

Whoah! This one hasn't finished yet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when is the next series due to start, I'll be lost without my Monday night fix!...:eek:
    Will there be a team from this thread? I suggest a name: The Stalkers. :D
    Forum Member
    Email onlyconnect@presentable.co.uk for application details.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Was there any reason that The Alesmen weren't given the "Three Lives" treatment on the wall last night ?

Was it because they'd only solved one grouping, or did somebody forget to push the relevant button ?
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Was there any reason that The Alesmen weren't given the "Three Lives" treatment on the wall last night ?

Was it because they'd only solved one grouping, or did somebody forget to push the relevant button ?

The three lives rule doesn't come in until they have solved two groups.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I love this show even though I do struggle with some of it. I had to sit out during the mathematical equations bit of the missing letters round, maths isn't my strong point at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    The three lives rule doesn't come in until they have solved two groups.

Thank you. I thought it must be something like that but couldn't recall seeing it before.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Alesmen. They looked absolutely shell shocked :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't actually say 'famous', did she? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Whoah! This one hasn't finished yet!

Yes but the final is on Monday....and Monday night viewing will not be the same without it.....and my boyfriend will not be happy...as I am sure other men on here will understand that.....!
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Will there be a team from this thread? I suggest a name: The Stalkers. :D

I'd love to join, but unless they can redesign the set so that the desk is more than 200ft from VC, I cannot participate on a legal basis.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but the final is on Monday....and Monday night viewing will not be the same without it.....and my boyfriend will not be happy...as I am sure other men on here will understand that.....!

You could always...you know...roleplay... be stern, put on a slightly nasal voice, strip him of all his cash in a game of poker?
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member

Actually it's the play-off for third place between the two losing semi-finalists on Monday.

The final is on Monday 27th December.
  • RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I'd love to join, but unless they can redesign the set so that the desk is more than 200ft from VC, I cannot participate on a legal basis.

Find the final answer in the sequence- Supratad... Victoria Coren... proximity... what?

:p
  • WingerWinger Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Poor Alesmen. They looked absolutely shell shocked :D

As opposed to looking very pleased with themselves up to just before Round 3. :D
This discussion has been closed.