Options

Orphan Black - UK Pace *NO SPOILERS*

Comments

• Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My TiVo picked it up on BBC 3, but it's on BBC 3 HD as well now. Worth checking if you have TiVo and prefer HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really excited for this tonight. The first series last year was a pleasant surprise, I wasn't expecting to like it at all.

Credit must go to Tatiana Maslany for her brilliant performance(s) as all the, er, orphans. Very impressive!
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Just finally got done with Series 1. What a brilliant show, can't wait for the next episode at 10! I just knew there was something fishy about Mrs S, she was far too accepting of the whole clones thing when she met Alison and got told everything.

Edit: Just had a thought...a big deal was made out of how Sarah has a child (Kira), but didn't Alison have two kids as well? Bit confused there, have I missed something?
  • Options
    Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really excited for this tonight. The first series last year was a pleasant surprise, I wasn't expecting to like it at all.

Credit must go to Tatiana Maslany for her brilliant performance(s) as all the, er, orphans. Very impressive!

She's amazing isn't she?
    Just watching her now with all the different characters again and she's just perfect ,I'm so glad it's back :)

Edit I think Paul is gorgeous :blush:
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    My TiVo picked it up on BBC 3, but it's on BBC 3 HD as well now. Worth checking if you have TiVo and prefer HD.
    Yep. Switched my SP when it first appeared in the schedule :D

A cracking start to the new season.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely a cracking start - talk about hitting the ground running!

Loved Sarah-as-Cosima. And who wants to see that musical, eh? :-)

If anyone's interested, I'll be doing weekly reviews for Metro, linked via my own site here:
    http://slouching.tv/2014/04/30/orphan-black-s2-ep1-nature-under-constraint-and-vexed/
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Good start. Sounded like Matt Frewer's voice at the end to me.

I'm sure the nutbag was killed at the end of season 1??? Proper killed, not at all ambiguously.
  • Options
    Velvet_FoxVelvet_Fox Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved 2x01. Especially Helena at the end! She just won't die will she? :D
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^ not a knowing spoiler but I've just had a thought
    what if one of the coming clones she plays is a male - something went cookie with the procedure and a male version was created and the ptbs let it proceed to baby cos they were all curious and it was a slow day.

LMAO. This is the most absurd theory I've ever heard - - whoops accidentally fell and dropped a Y chromosome in there. :p Which for the record, if that did happen then they wouldn't be a clone. It wouldn't be possible to be the genetic identical of Sarah/Alison/Cosima & co. and have a different set of chromosomes.

Even if the science doesn't convince you enough, the show's creators, have both said they want OB to be mostly female character orientated. Citing that there's not enough female led shows on TV (which there isn't) so for that reason I don't think we'll ever see a male clone - even if it was an entirely new set of clones that DYAD could also have possibly created.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^howzabout a
    transexual then,
    that would fit, right ?!
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    Edit: Just had a thought...a big deal was made out of how Sarah has a child (Kira), but didn't Alison have two kids as well? Bit confused there, have I missed something?

Alison and Donnie's children are adopted :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alison and Donnie's children are adopted :)

Ahhh ok, thanks. Must've missed that bit.
  • Options
    Velvet_FoxVelvet_Fox Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^howzabout a
    transexual then,
    that would fit, right ?!

That could work. I can't see them going there though. I mean I can't imagine they want to introduce too many new clones at this point, but we will see.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    overnights:

Orphan Black returned with 213k (1.2%) at 10pm

A bit disappointing, I think?

K
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Velvet_Fox wrote: »
    That could work. I can't see them going there though. I mean I can't imagine they want to introduce too many new clones at this point, but we will see.
    I guess too many clones COULD make things very confusing, as would having them all in a room that gets hit by lightning causing them to switch personalities :brainexplosion: :o
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member

If anyone's interested, I'll be doing weekly reviews for Metro, linked via my own site here:
    http://slouching.tv/2014/04/30/orphan-black-s2-ep1-nature-under-constraint-and-vexed/
    Running into the Diner, great action there - But with Sarah as Cosima: the kiss gave it away for Delphine - and where is Alison {pepper spray attack, hilarious} finding time for the Musical.:D

Felix was on to form too - "You know a gun dealer named Ramon"
    And kira with some crazy 'Fish' Cult.:o

Pleased Art is helping Sarah.:cool:
  • Options
    Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that in this case they haven't done that annoying thing they often do with female led shows and have all the men be a bit weak and pathetic.

I always thought in Buffy that both Xander and Willow were as much Fang-Fodder as each other, but they started to make a point of how it was just him that was inept with defending against Vampires. One of my favourite episodes of Buffy was "The Zeppo" because his character was the secondary lead for a change.

The men in Orphan Black seem sensibly realistic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    overnights:

Orphan Black returned with 213k (1.2%) at 10pm

A bit disappointing, I think?

K
    I'd wait and see what the final ratings are next week, as a lot of people will watch time-delayed but that overnight number *is* quite low. I can't remember exactly what the numbers were for season 1, but I think it was somewhere in the 800k-1m range. I'm sure someone else can remember ...
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd wait and see what the final ratings are next week, as a lot of people will watch time-delayed but that overnight number *is* quite low. I can't remember exactly what the numbers were for season 1, but I think it was somewhere in the 800k-1m range. I'm sure someone else can remember ...

Season 1 never got into BBC Three's top ten for the week, so at an absolute maximum it was somewhere just below 650-750k and could possibly have been much lower. That's the final figures by the way, not overnights.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

Excellent stuff :cool:
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Good start. Sounded like Matt Frewer's voice at the end to me.

I'm sure the nutbag was killed at the end of season 1??? Proper killed, not at all ambiguously.

I know. She's like Jason from Friday the 13th :o:D

What a great start to this series. Thoroughly enjoyed the episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 1 never got into BBC Three's top ten for the week, so at an absolute maximum it was somewhere just below 650-750k and could possibly have been much lower. That's the final figures by the way, not overnights.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Running into the Diner, great action there - But with Sarah as Cosima: the kiss gave it away for Delphine - and where is Alison {pepper spray attack, hilarious} finding time for the Musical.:D

Felix was on to form too - "You know a gun dealer named Ramon"
    And kira with some crazy 'Fish' Cult.:o

Pleased Art is helping Sarah.:cool:
    Absolutely. I like the way the show handled that scene. Sarah is a fantastic chameleon - perhaps a bit too good to be realistic, but suspension of disbelief and all that - but the scripts never push the deception too far. Sarah is good enough to fool most people for at least a short while, but not someone who the person is imitating is close to. It takes Delphine a few moments to realise, but she works it out fairly quickly as you might expect from the person who knows Cosima better than ever. But Sarah's good enough to fool Leekie, even though her hair isn't quite right and her attempts to imitate Cosima's mannerisms are just slightly off. (It's yet another sign of just how brilliant Tatiana Maslany is - she doesn't just rely on physical appearance to convey the subtleties of her performance.)

Every now and then, particularly when Sarah is surprised by something, her voice slips back into her vaguely Cockney accent - in season one, every time Paul surprised her in Beth's apartment, there's a momentary slip-and-recovery. No one ever seems to notice, but it's enough to remind viewers that she's not a perfect mimic, merely a very good one. It's a nice touch.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »

I've been doing amateur dramatics for a long time and I have to say, unless she was specifically understudying the lead, or the play has virtually no dialogue at all, it's a bit of a stretch being able to switch parts like that in 3 days!

It takes me months just to commit the lines to memory for a lead part and I certainly don't try to learn anyone else's part at the same time!

Quibbles aside, it was a great episode as always :)
  • Options
    couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched two episodes of this so far, really good. Only downside is the awful accents by the woman playing all the main parts and her brother. Is he trying to pull of a Russell Brand type voice??

Apart from that I am really liking it.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Can't say I've ever noticed a problem with anyone's accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watched two episodes of this so far, really good. Only downside is the awful accents by the woman playing all the main parts and her brother. Is he trying to pull of a Russell Brand type voice??

Apart from that I am really liking it.

I found myself noticing the accents less and less after the first couple of episodes tbh. They're not great but passable. Felix seems to be a character that divides opinion a bit, but I warmed to him part way through.