Options

How does average Joe afford to get married?

unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We've been engaged 10 years now and still not married, it doesn't really bother me, nor does my GF seem to annoyed either although i'm sure she probably would like to be married, its more the dirty digs from everyone else, parents, friends, work colleagues etc, we live is a small rural area and well everyone is still very much old skool I.E get engaged, married ASAP but the big question i've never found the answer to is how do they afford it?

Ok you can go an get married in a registry office £50 or whatever job done, problem is i've never been to a wedding in a registry office, I've never been to a cheap wedding, they have all been grand affairs, church wedding and reception in a fancy hotel with all the trimmings in between, £10K wouldn't look at them.

I earn £15K per year, my partner around £10K, we are not big earners, but then any of the weddings we've went to the people have been below average wage earners also.

So I am just curious as to how these people can afford these weddings? Its the same folk who have there foreign holidays every year, have 2 cars, mortgages and all the rest, we still don't know the secret to this either:confused: We rent, have never left the UK, its like we haven't been told something, haven't been let into the secret.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tic up to the eyeballs for a very long time which in my mind is stupidity for the sake of a one day show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When some people have children they set up a fund for their wedding/college etc... and over the space of 18+ years it can add up quite nicely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of couples have parents who have the means to make substantial contributions, or who are happy to pay for the whole thing.

If your not lucky in that respect you save up (you have had 10 years to save up, to be fair).

More and more people are doing it abroard these days, it works out much cheaper plus you get the honeymoon too! Have you thought about that OP?

Oh I forget....You could always get yourself into shed loads of debt too.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What we did seems to be unusual. We knew we were going to spend our lives together and we had a baby. We're not religious at all, and the only reason for getting married was for the whole legal thing: same name as child, inheritance, etc. We aren't into that whole showbiz princess for a day scenario. So we just got married in a registry office, with 2 witnesses. That's all. Very cheap.

To some people that probably sounds appalling. But we never felt the need to drive around in a limousine, showing the world how great we were or anything. Even now, 18 years later, we would probably not do it any differently, even though we could now afford a huge "do".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you just got to a register office and get married? bet that doesn't cost much. You could just invite a few friends and family.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never understand why people spend huge amounts of money on a wedding, when they could use that money on their house. My sister in law had an expensive wedding. The marriage lasted 10 years. Spending a lot of money is no guarantee of a long marriage. Why not do it according to what you can afford? If you want to get married, it should be for the sake of being married, not for putting on a show.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    What we did seems to be unusual. We knew we were going to spend our lives together and we had a baby. We're not religious at all, and the only reason for getting married was for the whole legal thing: same name as child, inheritance, etc. We aren't into that whole showbiz princess for a day scenario. So we just got married in a registry office, with 2 witnesses. That's all. Very cheap.

To some people that probably sounds appalling. But we never felt the need to drive around in a limousine, showing the world how great we were or anything. Even now, 18 years later, we would probably not do it any differently, even though we could now afford a huge "do".

doesnt sound appalling at all,
    my and my bf have been together 10 years engaged 3yrs 2 kids and a load of other better stuff to spend 10k plus on, we have always said that when we get a bit of cash were going to Gretna Green just us and the kids
    the only person I would be worried about upsetting would be my mum I asked what she would think if we did this and she told me it was my day do whatever I wanted
    I just dont fancy the big do and dress and being the centre of attention and all that,
    we could put a deposit on a house with that kind of money and have an amazing holiday or blow it on wedding
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like showy marriages are sometimes just that - shows. Some lifetime partners never get married, after all... It is not the be all or end all.

Plus, you can have a perfectly good marriage without a lavish ceremony. Marriage is just one day... what comes after, should, in theory, be far longer. ;)
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its up to the bride and groom how they decide to celebrate their wedding day, there is no right and wrong way to do it - whether thats a lavish ceremony costing the earth or a simple vow ceremony at the registry office. It really annoys me when people get smug either way. Its not their wedding.

OP - they probably put a lot of it on cards and took out loans. As for the 2 cars, theyre probably on HP and the holidays may be paid for over a few months. They may also live on smart price food to help pay for it all. At the end of the day, most of us are on finite salaries, but its up to us how we choose to spend it. Its got bugger all to do with anyone else.

Also there are ways of saving money when it comes to weddings and still making it look lavish - rope friends in to help make stuff, cava instead of champagne etc.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malik24 wrote: »
    Plus, you can have a perfectly good marriage without a lavish ceremony. Marriage is just one day... what comes after, should, in theory, be far longer. ;)
    dont you mean - the Wedding is just one day... what comes after (the marriage), should, in theory, be far longer. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go on holiday and get married there, you don't need family there and you're then on your honeymoon. Would still need to spend money but not so much, then you could have a little party afterwards so you get all the presents and money ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably when you got engaged 10 years ago you planned to eventually get married? 10 years is plenty of time to save up for a wedding, even on a low income, isn't it? :confused:
  • Options
    orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Average Joe doesn't. Marriage is so last year these days :D

It depends if the day is for yourselves, or for others.

If it's for others then decide how much you want to give away for a meal and party for them all then pay it off over 5 years.

if it's for yourselves, then you can make your own choice how you celebrate it. Romance doesn't always = expensive, on the contrary you only need two people to turn up. The witnesses are only the legal bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orange1234 wrote: »
    Average Joe doesn't. Marriage is so last year these days :D
    It's back, didn't you get the memo? Everyone seems to be at it lately!
  • Options
    orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    It's back, didn't you get the memo? Everyone seems to be at it lately!

I thought it was changed to civil partnerships now, or has it changed again. Well suppose some is still doing it :)
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad has 2 little kids and got married last year in a registry office, then because he's a delivery driver for a food company the food was at a carvery as he knew the boss well. The most expense of the whole thing was probably on the buffet afterwards, not taking into account the cost of beer :)
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    go on dont tell the bride - then they pay!
  • Options
    unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Presumably when you got engaged 10 years ago you planned to eventually get married? 10 years is plenty of time to save up for a wedding, even on a low income, isn't it? :confused:

When 3 kids came into the mix everything else seemed to go out the window
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a cheap cheerful wedding with only the people I cared about. Registry office and then a pub afterwards. It was nice. I'm not interested in the big day, its just one day really it is what is afterwards that is important.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say you've never been to a cheap wedding, I bet you have but never realised it.

We had a "fancy" wedding in a hotel with wedding breakfast and evening buffet and it cost £4k - which I appreciate isn't cheap but for what we got was quite reasonable to what you could pay if you arranged everything separately itself. The bulk of the cost for ours was the breakfast which (IMO) is perfectly OK to skip and go straight to an evening reception.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    A wedding can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. However, if you're wanting to 'keep up with the jonses' then you need rich parents or a bank loan.

I've heard of many cases where the wedding has cost a fortune but the marriage hasn't lasted. Maybe if folks spent time planning their marriages rather than just one day in that marriage, more marriages might last.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I so agree with you its so unfair...it costs a fortune to get married and invite close friends and family especially if you are from a large family
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malik24 wrote: »
    Plus, you can have a perfectly good marriage without a lavish ceremony.
    My parents being a good example of this. Both of their parents couldn't afford any contribution to their wedding, so my parents paid for everything themselves. Small church wedding with either 12 or 20 guests (I forget which), and no honeymoon. They were married for 35 years until my mother passed away.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I had a cheap cheerful wedding with only the people I cared about. Registry office and then a pub afterwards. It was nice. I'm not interested in the big day, its just one day really it is what is afterwards that is important.

if i get married to OH I will want to do it in a church, I think its much more difficult though to have a really small intimate wedding in a church, but I really would want to be married in a church as does he.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unklesam wrote: »
    When 3 kids came into the mix everything else seemed to go out the window

Ahh got ya!
    We were in a similer position, together 16 years and two kids before we got around to the wedding. We didn't get engaged untill we knew we could afford a wedding though. I personally would have just liked the ring and the gesture :o but he didn't see the point in getting engaged before we could realisticly think about forking out for a wedding.