Friends Gripes

Comments

• decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I loved that episode. Lisa Kudrow could make the slightest thing funny.

I remember when Phoebe and Ross were dating a divorced couple and were defending their partners and she says "Speaking of selfish in bed, how's Whitney?" :D

'She did use sex a weapon. I kinda threw my back out' :D
  • storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with being highly opinionated? Ross is highly opinionated too. Sometimes he refuses to acknowledge that other people have different opinions to his own.

All Phoebe said was that proposing at a football game is tacky, which I'm sure a lot of people agree with. It wouldn't have even been an issue if Mike wasn't planning to propose the same way.

Ross believes in Science because that is his job, Phoebe believes in the eridest things and then spends most of the time contradicting herself i.e) working in the massage franchise parlour, eating meat etc.

Ad someone else pointed out on here her character almost bullies all the other friends minus Joey because he's the "cool" one. She is wrong in virtually all her arguments with Ross yet seems to always take the moral high ground and was downright evil during her pregnancy. Not to mention she played 2 guys against each other on 2 seperate occasions; The list goes on...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    Ages were poor.

Rachel and Monica were the same age. Monica states in season 2 that she is 27 yet Rachel doesn't turn 30 until season 7.

Really, Monica and Rachel would've been 36, Chandler and Ross 37-38 when the show ended.

Phoebe is the best! It's a sitcom - it's not meant to be real life and generally continuity get=s thrown out to accomadate a story or joke. Really though - which of these people are actually people you'd want to hang out with? Ross is a patronising headcase, Monica is a shrill interfering nag, Joey is painfully stupid...only Rachel and Chandler would actually be barable socially.

All 3 of the girls are annoying in their own way but Phoebe is unbearable. All 3 guys would make good friends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    Phoebe is the best! It's a sitcom - it's not meant to be real life and generally continuity get=s thrown out to accomadate a story or joke. Really though - which of these people are actually people you'd want to hang out with? Ross is a patronising headcase, Monica is a shrill interfering nag, Joey is painfully stupid...only Rachel and Chandler would actually be barable socially.
    I'm not sure even Rachel and Chandler would be much fun in real life. Rachel, especially in the beginning, is very self-involved. Chandler's jokes would get old quickly and outside of that he didn't really have much of a personality. I think most TV characters would be friendless in real life. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geiger wrote: »
    I'm not sure even Rachel and Chandler would be much fun in real life. Rachel, especially in the beginning, is very self-involved. Chandler's jokes would get old quickly and outside of that he didn't really have much of a personality. I think most TV characters would be friendless in real life. :D

Exactly! It was a tv show that was on for half an hour at a time and as it went on the personality traits got more and more extreme. There are a few on here who seem to get really angry at it! :confused:
  • TrekTheGalaxyTrekTheGalaxy Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    storm818 wrote: »
    Ross believes in Science because that is his job, Phoebe believes in the eridest things and then spends most of the time contradicting herself i.e) working in the massage franchise parlour, eating meat etc.

Ad someone else pointed out on here her character almost bullies all the other friends minus Joey because he's the "cool" one. She is wrong in virtually all her arguments with Ross yet seems to always take the moral high ground and was downright evil during her pregnancy. Not to mention she played 2 guys against each other on 2 seperate occasions; The list goes on...

Phoebe can believe in what she wants. Ross was trying to force his opinions on her in that episode, but only Phoebe seems to get hate for doing so. Like I said, she doesn't eat meat all the time. She has slipped up a couple of times. She isn't perfect.

Are you referring to when she dated two guys at once? Why is only Phoebe getting crap for her dating life? What about Joey? I'm not excusing what Phoebe did (especially if you're also referring to the David/Mike situation), but she's not the only friend to do something like that.

Have you ever been pregnant with triplets? I haven't, but my friend was a pain when she was pregnant with one baby. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it is carrying twins. Again, I'm not fully excusing her behaviour, but I think she's allowed some bitchy behaviour during that period.

Rachel can be bitchy and selfish, Ross can be downright rude, Monica can be too uptight and bossy, Joey can be selfish and ridiculously stupid and Chandler can be a whiny man-child. I like all the characters, but I just don't understand why it's mainly Phoebe who is getting all the hate. Especially when she gets it for things such as mugging Ross when she was a child :confused:
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Pheobe was mean....end of!!! Only time I liked her was when she went into her 'regina ferlouge' character/ and when she tried ti change her name to Princess something or other!! Should have had more of that on a regular basis!!!!
  • EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebe is still and always will be my favourite. Even though some people dislike her, i thought she was comedy gold.

"Aww Pheebs" "Honey, that's your name"
    "That's short for Phoebe? i thought that's just what we called each other" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoebe can believe in what she wants. Ross was trying to force his opinions on her in that episode, but only Phoebe seems to get hate for doing so. Like I said, she doesn't eat meat all the time. She has slipped up a couple of times. She isn't perfect.

Are you referring to when she dated two guys at once? Why is only Phoebe getting crap for her dating life? What about Joey? I'm not excusing what Phoebe did (especially if you're also referring to the David/Mike situation), but she's not the only friend to do something like that.

Have you ever been pregnant with triplets? I haven't, but my friend was a pain when she was pregnant with one baby. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it is carrying twins. Again, I'm not fully excusing her behaviour, but I think she's allowed some bitchy behaviour during that period.

Rachel can be bitchy and selfish, Ross can be downright rude, Monica can be too uptight and bossy, Joey can be selfish and ridiculously stupid and Chandler can be a whiny man-child. I like all the characters, but I just don't understand why it's mainly Phoebe who is getting all the hate. Especially when she gets it for things such as mugging Ross when she was a child :confused:

She can believe in what she likes but when she tells Rachel not to use her massage voucher in the big parlour because it's against her principles when in reality its because she's working there herself, that's a big flaw in her character.

In the episode where she argues with Ross, its fine not believing in evolution & gravity but her reasons for not believing them were beyond ridiculous and most normal people who work or believe in science would have gone crazy at her.
    Whether you mug someone as a child or an adult its still wrong!
    As for comparing her with Joey, none if his relationships were serious. Phoebe knew Mike & David loved her and she played along.

She admitted blocking Monica out from her life years after she actudally did it cause she was too chicken to tell her at the time.

She wouldn't talk to Ross just because of a dream, argued with him constantly even though he was always extra nice to her, buying her a bike etc.

The list just goes on!

It is just a TV show but her character was extremely annoying and displeasing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EESuperFan wrote: »
    Phoebe is still and always will be my favourite. Even though some people dislike her, i thought she was comedy gold.

:D That's exactly the kind of line that made me not like the character! Hey, we're all different. I think I remember reading that Monica was the least favourite of all the Friends.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    EESuperFan wrote: »

Oh you just reminded me of a gripe! Yay!
    In the episode where Rachel is too shy to ask out Joshua she rings him up pretending she found a wallet in the store. When he tells her to check the licence she says "this belongs to a ... Mr Pheebs" and looks at Phoebe who grins like she's flattered.
    In the next episode she doesn't know it is short for Phoebe!
    Unless she just thought it was cute that Rachel used what she thought was their "pet name" on the phone.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    E05297535 wrote: »
    Pheobe was mean....end of!!! Only time I liked her was when she went into her 'regina ferlouge' character/ and when she tried ti change her name to Princess something or other!! Should have had more of that on a regular basis!!!!

I liked her when she made the horrible pictures out of mannequins and she genuinely thought Rachel and Monica liked them that was kinda sweet.
    Forum Member
    She can believe in what she likes but when she tells Rachel not to use her massage voucher in the big parlour because it's against her principles when in reality its because she's working there herself, that's a big flaw in her character.

In the episode where she argues with Ross, its fine not believing in evolution & gravity but her reasons for not believing them were beyond ridiculous and most normal people who work or believe in science would have gone crazy at her.
    Whether you mug someone as a child or an adult its still wrong!
    As for comparing her with Joey, none if his relationships were serious. Phoebe knew Mike & David loved her and she played along.

She admitted blocking Monica out from her life years after she actudally did it cause she was too chicken to tell her at the time.

She wouldn't talk to Ross just because of a dream, argued with him constantly even though he was always extra nice to her, buying her a bike etc.

The list just goes on!

It is just a TV show but her character was extremely annoying and displeasing.

Phoebe's reasons shouldn't really matter though. It's still her opinion. Even if it makes no sense, what's the big deal? It's not like the gang usually take what she says seriously. Ross couldn't let it go and showed his childish side.

I'm not saying mugging isn't wrong, but would you honestly blame a little girl for doing it to survive? Phoebe was living in one of the most dangerous cities in the world. She was a homeless kid. We've already heard stories about the horrible things that happened to her on the streets. She was a child trying to survive. I would never try and guilt my friend into feeling awful for doing what she had to in order to live 20 years ago. It's ridiculous.

I already said I'm not defending Phoebe for doing that to Mike and David, but Joey isn't perfect when it comes to dating. He slept with Kate despite knowing she had a boyfriend, not to mention the fact that he was working with him. He may not have been the one cheating, but that's a pretty disgusting thing to do. Chandler kissed Joey's girlfriend. I know people debate whether he was actually in the wrong considering Joey and Kathy were not serious, but Chandler obviously thought what he was doing was wrong. He still did it. He also slept with his best friends sister. It may have turned into a relationship, but it wasn't a serious thing at first.

Monica tried to block out Amanda. Why is it only Phoebe getting hate for trying to block someone?

She didn't fall out with Ross because of a dream knowingly. She genuinely thought he had done something. Did she continue to ignore him when she remembered it was a dream?

My posts are starting to look like essays :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    :D That's exactly the kind of line that made me not like the character! Hey, we're all different. I think I remember reading that Monica was the least favourite of all the Friends.

Really? She and Phoebe were my favourites, though I seem to be in the minority:o

But I did start to dislike the Phoebe character when she got with Mike - the proposal that humiliated David, telling Mike's ex he cheated on her 'a lot', the kids charity donation they kept changing their minds on..

But my least favourite were braindead Joey and spoilt brat Rachel. I couldn't stand their scenes together. (And I hated the way Jennifer Aniston would sometimes smirk during a pause for audience laughter when it's not what her character woudl be doing.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoebe's reasons shouldn't really matter though. It's still her opinion. Even if it makes no sense, what's the big deal? It's not like the gang usually take what she says seriously. Ross couldn't let it go and showed his childish side.

I'm not saying mugging isn't wrong, but would you honestly blame a little girl for doing it to survive? Phoebe was living in one of the most dangerous cities in the world. She was a homeless kid. We've already heard stories about the horrible things that happened to her on the streets. She was a child trying to survive. I would never try and guilt my friend into feeling awful for doing what she had to in order to live 20 years ago. It's ridiculous.

I already said I'm not defending Phoebe for doing that to Mike and David, but Joey isn't perfect when it comes to dating. He slept with Kate despite knowing she had a boyfriend, not to mention the fact that he was working with him. He may not have been the one cheating, but that's a pretty disgusting thing to do. Chandler kissed Joey's girlfriend. I know people debate whether he was actually in the wrong considering Joey and Kathy were not serious, but Chandler obviously thought what he was doing was wrong. He still did it. He also slept with his best friends sister. It may have turned into a relationship, but it wasn't a serious thing at first.

Monica tried to block out Amanda. Why is it only Phoebe getting hate for trying to block someone?

She didn't fall out with Ross because of a dream knowingly. She genuinely thought he had done something. Did she continue to ignore him when she remembered it was a dream?

I understand its her opinion, my point is her reasons were quite frankly rubbish and most people in Ross' position would have stuck up for their profession.

Excuses or not, mugging is never a valid option and shouldn't be empathised with.

With Joey every girl getting with him knew what they were getting. With Phoebe it was low and below the belt given their feelings for her and seriousness of the relationships.

We can go around and around but if you took a poll of all friends fans around the world and which friend they would least like in real life I think her name would be bottom quite comfortably.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, but it wasn't her opinion - she was doing it all to wind my Ross up, as transpired later in the episode! She tried to mess with Ross's core beliefs just for fun! Just plain wrong :D
  • blancedbblancedb Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    The time Chandler went for an advertising job and used a stick to help him walk out because the weather was damp! I realise the joke was that he was older than the other candidates, but really?? He never struggled to walk before or after that scene to my knowledge.... It was just daft.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, but it wasn't her opinion - she was doing it all to wind my Ross up, as transpired later in the episode! She tried to mess with Ross's core beliefs just for fun! Just plain wrong :D

Absolutely correct
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blancedb wrote: »
    The time Chandler went for an advertising job and used a stick to help him walk out because the weather was damp! I realise the joke was that he was older than the other candidates, but really?? He never struggled to walk before or after that scene to my knowledge.... It was just daft.

Maybe he was out of painkillers :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh and regarding the dream argument, Phoebe couldn't even remember why she was mad at Ross but instead of doing what most friends would do and talk about it, she just chose to ignore him until it was revealed it was a dream.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blancedb wrote: »

I thought he was using it because he fell over on the skates
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leeowls87 wrote: »
    In one of the early episodes, Joey and Chandler offer to take Ross to hockey for his birthday, and the date in that episode is said to be October 20th! He says, "my birthday was 7 months ago," meaning his birthday was March, yet in the episode where Ross tries to punch Joey and breaks his thumb, they fill out his details, Ross says "you know my birthday!?" And Joey says "May-tem-ber???" And Ross says "OCTOBER 18"!

In an episode today (i only had half an eye on tv, so don't remember which one) Gunther was asking Rachel's birthday because he was making a list and Ross chimes in that his birthday is in December.
    Forum Member
    I understand its her opinion, my point is her reasons were quite frankly rubbish and most people in Ross' position would have stuck up for their profession.

Excuses or not, mugging is never a valid option and shouldn't be empathised with.

With Joey every girl getting with him knew what they were getting. With Phoebe it was low and below the belt given their feelings for her and seriousness of the relationships.

We can go around and around but if you took a poll of all friends fans around the world and which friend they would least like in real life I think her name would be bottom quite comfortably.

I understand him standing up for his profession, but he just went on and on. He should have realised she wasn't going to change her mind and let it drop a lot sooner imo.

I'm not empathising with the act. I'm empathising with a homeless child. Monica shouldn't have said what she said. It was pointless.

That's not the point. Joey slept with a girl despite knowing and working with her boyfriend. I just think that's a crappy thing to do to someone. Plus, not every girl knew. He led a lot of them on. Look at Monica and Chandler's case worker.

I always thought Phoebe was relatively popular. In real life, I probably wouldn't like her as much. I reckon a lot of people couldn't stand Monica's personality in real life, but find it funny in the show too.

I don't think it started off like that. She believed what she was saying, she just decided to wind him up when he wouldn't let it go.

edit - Maybe we should just agree to disagree. We obviously just have very different opinions on the character :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand him standing up for his profession, but he just went on and on. He should have realised she wasn't going to change her mind and let it drop a lot sooner imo.

I'm not empathising with the act. I'm empathising with a homeless child. Monica shouldn't have said what she said. It was pointless.

That's not the point. Joey slept with a girl despite knowing and working with her boyfriend. I just think that's a crappy thing to do to someone. Plus, not every girl knew. He led a lot of them on. Look at Monica and Chandler's case worker.

I always thought Phoebe was relatively popular. In real life, I probably wouldn't like her as much. I reckon a lot of people couldn't stand Monica's personality in real life, but find it funny in the show too.

I don't think it started off like that. She believed what she was saying, she just decided to wind him up when he wouldn't let it go.

edit - Maybe we should just agree to disagree. We obviously just have very different opinions on the character :)

Of course - hey, it's all in good fun on my part honestly! Much as she annoyed me I can't imagine Friends without her! :)
    Forum Member
    Of course - hey, it's all in good fun on my part honestly! Much as she annoyed me I can't imagine Friends without her! :)

I'm the same with Ross. There are instances where he just annoyed the crap out of me, but he's still hilarious :p