Options

Are Mosques Nicer Than Churches?

rickberickbe Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm not Moslem but have to say on the whole I find mosques more attractive than churches. Especially the inside. After all, they're fitted with a nice carpet. And people take their shoes off before they go in. Bit like a living room.

Churches on the other hand seem designed to repel. Cold stone masonry, cold stone walls that echo, hard wooden benches. Can't say I'm a fan of organ music either, I find it a bit sinister. Its sort of doom music, also it reminds me of school. Plus all these memorial stones and tablets about world wars.

Maybe churches would attract more people they made their interiors more appealing.

Wonder if other people also feel this way.

Comments

• Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rickbe wrote: »
    I'm not Moslem but have to say on the whole I find mosques more attractive than churches. Especially the inside. After all, they're fitted with a nice carpet. And people take their shoes off before they go in. Bit like a living room.

Churches on the other hand seem designed to repel. Cold stone masonry, cold stone walls that echo, hard wooden benches. Can't say I'm a fan of organ music either, I find it a bit sinister. Its sort of doom music, also it reminds me of school. Plus all these memorial stones and tablets about world wars.

Maybe churches would attract more people they made their interiors more appealing.

No idea - but it's what goes on in some of them that worries me - not the decor or the architecture however 'cuddly' it is.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    No idea - but it's what goes on in some of them that worries me - not the decor or the architecture however 'cuddly' it is.

Succint, and to the point :D
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. Churches reflect the time they where built in you did not have central heating and rooms with carpets. Frankly I am not sure they would have been any use in 16th century anyway.

Also Mosques inside are just really open spaces. You don't like hard wooden benches but even that is a step up from sitting on the floor. not a fan of organ music either but the mosque call to prayer is hardly a beat you can get down to at 6.00 am in the morning.

I dont think the purpose of either building is designed with comfort in mind to be honest. In fact I would go as far to say the opposite is the true the point is to reflect on your faith.

While I don't dislike mosques I do find the old churches more interesting. If you go into the cathedral they are truly stunning places to see. You cannot help but be impressed with places like winchester cathedral.

That is not to say they are not equally stunning mosques around the world like Grand Mosque in Afghanistan but not many in this country when you compare them to our churches. But that is only be expected of course.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This exactly, I find a lot of religious buildings extremely fascinating, everything from Stained Glass windows in churches, architecture of cathedrals & mosques. You cannot deny the beauty of their designs. However that is the only thing that interests me with religious buildings, the same could be said for various palaces around the world, extremely beautiful buildings, couldn't be arsed about the people in there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both mosques and churches run the spectrum from shabby yellow-brick nothing of a building with a bit of a concrete yard, to buildings of great splendour. I take your point about the carpet though.

A lot of churches have had their pews removed and replaced by chairs. And they generally try to provide a warm environment on a Sunday morning at least, if only to stop damp and mildew eroding the soft furnishings.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    You can get a free slug of wine in a church.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty anti-religion but I think churches are beautiful buildings.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Succint, and to the point :D
    Not to the point at all, actually. The thread is about the design and decor of places. Maybe you're just blinded by hatred to believe that any mention of Islam is a green light to start spouting the usual fear-mongering guff.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing beats a good stone church hall for grandeur - think All Hallows' in Gospel Oak.

But for architectural splendour, nothing beats a large Gurdwara. Fine examples in the UK are the Southall and Gravesend Gurdwaras.

.... and yours truly worked on both of them :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the location really. Lots of churches here are old, and perhaps with them being Protestant they can be cold and forbidding. Mosques tend to be quite dull though, little artwork beyond calligraphy and pictures of Mecca, and in Britain they're mostly functional buildings. Hindu temples can be fun, lively places, if gaudy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »
    Not to the point at all, actually. The thread is about the design and decor of places. Maybe you're just blinded by hatred to believe that any mention of Islam is a green light to start spouting the usual fear-mongering guff.

It would be fear mongering...

If it was not true.

And I said some of them not all of them - or do you not believe that radicalism has not gone on in certain mosques?

Remember Finsbury Park?

I do.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    This exactly, I find a lot of religious buildings extremely fascinating, everything from Stained Glass windows in churches, architecture of cathedrals & mosques. You cannot deny the beauty of their designs. However that is the only thing that interests me with religious buildings, the same could be said for various palaces around the world, extremely beautiful buildings, couldn't be arsed about the people in there.

+1 :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I totally agree - the wonderful architecture of some religious building is simply breathtaking.

Man's quest for immortality has led to the creation of some truly magnificent structures throughout the ages - from the oldest religious structure in the world - the astonishing Goblekli Tepe onwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

That is undeniable. :)
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Forget carpets, give me fantastic buildings such as York Minster and Canterbury Cathedral anytime.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicer? I wouldn't imagine many people have been in both
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be fear mongering...

If it was not true.

And I said some of them not all of them - or do you not believe that radicalism has not gone on in certain mosques?

Remember Finsbury Park?

I do.
    Who cares? It's off topic. Start your own thread if you want a Muslim-bashing circle jerk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who cares? It's off topic. Start your own thread if you want a Muslim-bashing circle jerk.

Some of use do care what goes on inside so called religious places of worship, regardless of whether the building looks nice or not.

It also mentions people.

• Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try harder to not make it so obvious next time.

2/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turns out this thread was a trolling exercise intended to provoke anti-Islamic sentiment by pitting a 'them vs. us' question. Sadly for the OP, the only people who complied were the confirmed Islamophobes, who conveniently crawled out of the woodwork on cue, one of whom is presumably also the OP.

Quotes by the OP in other threads:
    Well maybe with all these Islamic sleeper terrorists in the UK it will eventually wake up the LibConLab liberals to what is going on in this country with our cities being turned into Muslim majority...
    when they [immigrants, i.e. Muslims] generate terrorists in this way who attack their host country... then we have to ask whether it's in the national interest to have these people living in the country in the first place.
    The chickens are now coming home to roost with this Islamic immigration.

Not exactly the words of someone who finds Mosques homely and inviting places. If this character ever actually found himself in a Mosque he'd probably break out in hives and have to call his mummy.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I prefer churches.

Mosques are basically one big room, the focal point being the mihrab (a niche in the wall!)
    Some are richly decorated (with geometric mosaics for example) and some are impressively vast (eg the former Mesquita in Cordoba, Spain) but churches remain more varied and interesting for me.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Church is modern, it has central heating and comfy seats. It does Lunches every day during the week and lots of activities go on all the time. It's light and airy and very welcoming to everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Turns out this thread was a trolling exercise intended to provoke anti-Islamic sentiment by pitting a 'them vs. us' question. Sadly for the OP, the only people who complied were the confirmed Islamophobes, who conveniently crawled out of the woodwork on cue, one of whom is presumably also the OP.

It's not a good idea to jump to conclusions and make assumptions on behalf of other people that you don't even know.

For instance, I could say you've dropped out of the woodwork, as I hadn't ever seen you post in my travels until today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    It's not a good idea to jump to conclusions and make assumptions on behalf of other people that you don't even know.

For instance, I could say you've dropped out of the woodwork, as I hadn't ever seen you post in my travels until today.

Exactly and the use of that tired old insult 'Islamophobe' makes that posters agenda rather obvious. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have started many threads on a wide variety of topics - and not one of them has been a 'circle jerk' as you so politely put it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Yes, you could say that and I couldn't care less if you did. I'm making assumptions on behalf of myself, not others. It's not a good idea to make thinly veiled threats about reporting people either, but hey-ho.